Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 future

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Default Z06 future

Now that Chevy will be making a what, 580 HP/556 FPT Camaro ZL1 (?) what kind of HP improvements will we be seeing in the ZO6 lineup? The Camaro is also being offered with an automatic transmission with that kind of power, too. Is Chevy going to up the anti on the ZO6 and give it 605+ HP and offer an automatic trans for our handicapped friends as well?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:31 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Now that Chevy will be making a what, 580 HP/556 FPT Camaro ZL1 (?) what kind of HP improvements will we be seeing in the ZO6 lineup? The Camaro is also being offered with an automatic transmission with that kind of power, too. Is Chevy going to up the anti on the ZO6 and give it 605+ HP and offer an automatic trans for our handicapped friends as well?
The Camaros need that kind of power to lug around the 4000# they weigh. The Current Z06 weighs 20% less and has much better aero.

The ZL1 will be lucky to beat a 3000#, 485 HP base C7.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
The Camaros need that kind of power to lug around the 4000# they weigh. The Current Z06 weighs 20% less and has much better aero.

Base 485 HP C7...makes me want to get a highly optioned 505 HP ZO6? I guess that's the point. What's on the horizon for the ZO6.

We did a 6 year lease on a 2007 ZO6 3LZ VR back in December of 2006 and now we have 11 months left to go. It's in new condition with 23,000 female driven miles on it. I only drive it when it needs gas or an oil change. She likes her car but may decide to upgrade to a ZR1 if nothing comes better along.

She can buy out her ZO6 for the residual which will be about $28,000 at the end of the lease. We estimate it will have about 27,000 miles on it by then. But I think she'll be doing some tire kicking to see what's new.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

And I really do hope that the base C7 comes with that kind of power.

I'm also thinking that once the C7 comes out that there might not even be a place for a Z06 in the line up, maybe just a high powered naturally aspirated base car and a 675hp ZR1?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:44 AM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You took the words right out of my mouth! Exactly what this gentleman said!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:46 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, there are lots of things in play on this field. The Camaro is a brick like pig whether they stuff an apple in it's mouth ( the SC engine ). It's still a pig and it still sells to an entirely different market. ( Not a bunch I'd particularly like to hang around with since I never race on the street and detest ( and actually fear ) those who do. And, what, after all , is the Camaro designed to do but that? )

Up the ante on the Z06? To 605 hp? You have got to be kidding or kidding yourself. That is way too close to the ZR1 hp. And....you thinking the factory would up the hp on the LS7 by that much? The LS7? Come on. I know that reputable after market suppliers can dramatically increase LS7 hp and will warranty their products. But.....look at the reliability record of the LS7. So perhaps the Z06 needs an LSA engine?

I think the factory will let the Z06 coast through the last year of the C6 generation then quietly do what the market is telling it to do ..... put it to rest. The future is not in small blocks with big block displacement it's in SC small blocks.

I do agree, though, for the disabled, infirm, and/or those who cannot seem to learn to drive a manual ( as adults ) , it would be nice if the Z06 could be purchased with an automatic transmission.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:54 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Speaking of automatics, there's an outside chance that ALL Corvettes might come in some form of automatic if these rumors of a sequential manumatic (SMG/F1 style) trans come to fruition.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:23 AM
ospreycorvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think the future is for a car selling 600 units per year?
Old 12-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Base 485 HP C7...makes me want to get a highly optioned 505 HP ZO6? I guess that's the point. What's on the horizon for the ZO6.

We did a 6 year lease on a 2007 ZO6 3LZ VR back in December of 2006 and now we have 11 months left to go. It's in new condition with 23,000 female driven miles on it. I only drive it when it needs gas or an oil change. She likes her car but may decide to upgrade to a ZR1 if nothing comes better along.

She can buy out her ZO6 for the residual which will be about $28,000 at the end of the lease. We estimate it will have about 27,000 miles on it by then. But I think she'll be doing some tire kicking to see what's new.
If at the end of your lease you do not want the car please pm me first! I will gladly pay the 28k and give you a little finders fee
Old 12-31-2011, 07:47 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

At 28 k plus a little extra i am also a buyer its a no brainer.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I think the factory will let the Z06 coast through the last year of the C6 generation then quietly do what the market is telling it to do ..... put it to rest. The future is not in small blocks with big block displacement it's in SC small blocks.

I do agree, though, for the disabled, infirm, and/or those who cannot seem to learn to drive a manual ( as adults ) , it would be nice if the Z06 could be purchased with an automatic transmission.

This. Combined with the BIG drop in sales (overall Vette sales and then Z06 sales lost to the GS option), in addition to CAFE standards and the already topped out performance of present LS7 N/A architecture relative to reliability and warranty concerns, as well as the take-over of government intervention... I think that the present Z06 will be a lot like the big-block vettes of the 1960's: this is it.

I disagree with the "disabled" comment: I don't think there's a big market for an AUTO Z06 - much less for the occasional disabled person with enough mobility to actually get into the car in the first place, but one who's willing to invest the $80K into a third car in this economy? Not too many of those; they can buy a Grand Sport anyway.

It's a purpose-built car, and that's what makes it special.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I remember, back in 1967, you could order a new Camaro with the 375 HP 396(but the engine was identical to the 425 HP 396 that was installed in the 1965 vette and full size 1965 cars). Back then the Camaro was a light weight car and it didn't kill off the high horsepower options in the Corvette. A 1967 427/435 Corvette coupe weighed ~3284 lbs and a 1967 396/375 Camaro coupe weighed ~ 3396. The high horsepower optioned Corvette survived the onslaught from the 4 seater Camaro.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:24 PM
MVPJEFF106
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't need.... nor want any more HP in my Z06. I have a 2012 and it's perfect for what I use it for. If I want a "faster" car, it'll only be for a race course and I'll build one for half the price Chevy can build it for. It will lose its driveability if you go with too much power and reliability will decrease. That's why I didn't wait for a C7. I have what I want with this Z06. If/When I want something else, it will be a different brand..... and from a different country too. This vette is what a vette should be.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
This. Combined with the BIG drop in sales (overall Vette sales and then Z06 sales lost to the GS option), in addition to CAFE standards and the already topped out performance of present LS7 N/A architecture relative to reliability and warranty concerns, as well as the take-over of government intervention... I think that the present Z06 will be a lot like the big-block vettes of the 1960's: this is it.

I disagree with the "disabled" comment: I don't think there's a big market for an AUTO Z06 - much less for the occasional disabled person with enough mobility to actually get into the car in the first place, but one who's willing to invest the $80K into a third car in this economy? Not too many of those; they can buy a Grand Sport anyway.

Keep automatics away from the Z06. Keep the car simple and limited to performance options. It is a purpose built car and an automatic would just dilute the model.

Also agreed that the 427 is likely on its way out. The move towards forced induction is well underway.

Though, I do wonder if there is any possibility for a DI and cylinder deactivated 427. That should give it the power bump it needs for the C7 along with slightly better fuel economy. Maybe that is cheaper than moving to a smaller SC motor, and they'll keep that just for the ZR1.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 12-31-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Random84

Well stated!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

Keep automatics away from the Z06. Keep the car simple and limited to performance options. It is a purpose built car and an automatic would just dilute the model.

Also agreed that the 427 is likely on its way out. The move towards forced induction is well underway.

Though, I do wonder if there is any possibility for a DI and cylinder deactivated 427. That should give it the power bump it needs for the C7 along with slightly better fuel economy. Maybe that is cheaper than moving to a smaller SC motor, and they'll keep that just for the ZR1.
I think the displacement on demand (cylinder deactivation) is a no-go on the Vette. I read somewhere that because they couldn't isolate the engine from the transaxle because of the torque tube, they experienced vibrations(harmonics) that they couldn't tune out with the motor and transaxle mounts.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:41 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
The LS7 is a very costly motor to produce (titanium valves, a 'one off' type motor that's not spread across to the Camaro SS and trucks like the 6.2L is to reduce costs).
And that's even if they're moving 3k - 6k units per year, but at under 1k cars they have to be losing money on the model at this point.
I could see a Direct Injected 6.2L (or 5.5L?) base car with possibly a GS type body/suspension/wheel & tire package/model available and then a ZR1.

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I think the displacement on demand (cylinder deactivation) is a no-go on the Vette. I read somewhere that because they couldn't isolate the engine from the transaxle because of the torque tube, they experienced vibrations(harmonics) that they couldn't tune out with the motor and transaxle mounts.
Yes I'd heard that as well. I'm thinking that they'll try to keep the CAFE numbers up through Direct Injection, 7 speed transmission gearing and light weight and hopefully be able to still avoid any of that Active Fuel Management/Displacement on Demand crap.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 future

Old 01-01-2012, 03:31 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm actually kind of happy to think that the C6Z may end up like a kind of last of the TRUE *** kicking, big muscle big motor, modern muscle car. I have no idea whats in the pipe but with where the world as a whole is heading I wouldn't be suppressed by a tiny little direct injection 4.0L V8 somewhere down the line.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
I'm actually kind of happy to think that the C6Z may end up like a kind of last of the TRUE *** kicking, big muscle big motor, modern muscle car.
I agree, I will be VERY happy if this is the end of the LS7 (427 ci) engine and if all future vette engines for the C7 will all be smaller displacement n/a and supercharged engines, (which is certainly the trend (supercharged) for the biggest horse power producing vettes).

That would just make the C6 Z that much more of an Corvette a n/a 427 ci ICON in the future and more desirable to have as time marches on!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I think the Z06 designation will continue. GM has too much name recognition with this one. Other than the engine and some other parts it is fairly close to the assembly line build process for the GS. Those that want something faster than coupe or GS will want the Z06 since the ZR1 may be too expensive. I do agree that the LS7 is probably going to be replaced. But with the C7 most likely coming in at a lighter platform than current there are a lot of engines that can be positioned for these cars.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 future