Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Lowering my z, help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my z, help

if i lower my z by turning the bolts at the end of the springs all the way up, iv heard i could get about half in lower, GREAT, BUT. my mech says i will need a alignment and he want lower my car because the machine would scratch my brand new hre rims!!! how many of you have lowered your z this way and she road great with no issues?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

it will ride similar but the tires will wear faster
Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Car needs to be re-aligned after it is lowered. It changes static camber (more neg.) and also toe out (toe in on the rear) will increase. Which increases how the car turns in, however it will increase tire wear.

I lowered mine, and did the alignment...no issues.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Car needs to be re-aligned after it is lowered. It changes static camber (more neg.) and also toe out (toe in on the rear) will increase. Which increases how the car turns in, however it will increase tire wear.

I lowered mine, and did the alignment...no issues.
YES, BUT my tech says the alignment machine will scratch my new rims, we work at toyota, will a chevy store have a diff machine that works around that? i like car the way she sits,but some on the forum have sent pics of lowered cars, and WOW, what can i do? thanks
Old 03-08-2012, 02:48 PM
ZO6FL
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DON T.
YES, BUT my tech says the alignment machine will scratch my new rims, we work at toyota, will a chevy store have a diff machine that works around that? i like car the way she sits,but some on the forum have sent pics of lowered cars, and WOW, what can i do? thanks
I lowered mine on stock bolts with HRE P40's and aligned it at the Chevy dealer. They let me hang out with the car. No scratches at all!

Last edited by ZO6FL; 03-08-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

canned answer is throw an extra camber washer in all the way around and go 3 flats on the tie rod. very diy, however screw it up and you will need help.

it might be a fast car but its not rocket science
Old 03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZO6FL
I lowered mine on stock bolts with HRE P40's and aligned it at the Chevy dealer. They let me hang out with the car. No scratches at all!
THANKS, im learning,so have mercy, so useing whats the car allready has,she can be lowered and get the look im seeing in some of these pics on this forum, or to get her slammed down to the top of tire, does that require buying mod kits designed to get super low? im thinking if i can get 1 inch lower,i would still be safe with my front splitter!!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

THANKS, im learning,so have mercy, so useing whats the car allready has,she can be lowered and get the look im seeing in some of these pics on this forum, or to get her slammed down to the top of tire, does that require buying mod kits designed to get super low? im thinking if i can get 1 inch lower,i would still be safe with my front splitter!!
To get it really low like that you need to cut the rubber bushings off of the lowering bolt.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

So i just left a very reputable shop here in Seattle, they work on a lot of race cars out here. They work on a lot of Vettes and they recommended not to lower all the way, to leave at least 5MM. They gave a long explanation but it mainly came on how much stress it puts
Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Find a new shop to get it aligned
Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Mookster
So i just left a very reputable shop here in Seattle, they work on a lot of race cars out here. They work on a lot of Vettes and they recommended not to lower all the way, to leave at least 5MM. They gave a long explanation but it mainly came on how much stress it puts
I would disagree with that personally. I am on lowering bolts with about 0.25" pads left at the end of the spring. Bolts are turned all the way up and I'm on DRMs...car handles and rides better than it did stock.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Originally Posted by LFZ
I would disagree with that personally. I am on lowering bolts with about 0.25" pads left at the end of the spring. Bolts are turned all the way up and I'm on DRMs...car handles and rides better than it did stock.
Their reasoning was stress on the shocks over time. My question to you is...how long have you been on DRM shocks lowered? Any idea how many miles have you put?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Their reasoning was stress on the shocks over time. My question to you is...how long have you been on DRM shocks lowered? Any idea how many miles have you put?
4000 miles and Randy at DRM confirmed that you can indeed get away with 0.75-1.00" lowered from stock height with his shocks.

I would not ride that low on stock shocks, for it will increase stress and compromise handling (when pushing the car).
Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Originally Posted by LFZ
4000 miles and Randy at DRM confirmed that you can indeed get away with 0.75-1.00" lowered from stock height with his shocks.

I would not ride that low on stock shocks, for it will increase stress and compromise handling (when pushing the car).
How much are those DRM shocks(too lazy to Google lol) ...and yeah shop was referring to stress on stock shocks
Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

How much are those DRM shocks(too lazy to Google lol) ...and yeah shop was referring to stress on stock shocks
I agree, it will stress the shocks, especially OE shocks.

DRMs are $250 a set of 4
Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Originally Posted by LFZ
I agree, it will stress the shocks, especially OE shocks.

DRMs are $250 a set of 4
$250 is a lot less than coilovers so i might look into that. Thanks
Old 03-08-2012, 05:40 PM
DON T.
Drifting

OK, it seams to get more complicated as i read along, to do this right, do i need shocks also, please tell me what i need to do this right, thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering my z, help

Old 03-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Mookster
Drifting

OK, it seams to get more complicated as i read along, to do this right, do i need shocks also, please tell me what i need to do this right, thanks,
Is money an issue?

Coilovers are the best bet and also the most expensive(around $2500 installed with alignment)

LFZ can tell you what DRM shocks cost installed with alignment.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

For lowering on stock bolts, the stock shocks will suffice. Anything more than that, like cut bushings or lowering bolts...you'd have to look into DRMs or Pfadt adjustables.

For the ultimate lowering and adjustability...go coils.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The reason why we don't suggest users of our shock products drop their cars to the limits is because the more you lower the Corvette on the factory bolts, the more suspension travel you are effectively dialing out. This makes you more likely to bounce off bump stop or bottom out the amount of available shock travel, this can unsettle the car in corners and make the ride unnecessarily harsh.

The best advise we can give is when using the factory lowering bolts, a modest drop is good, but bottoming out the bolts or switching to an aftermarket bolt isn't going to be optimal for handling. To really aggressively lower the vehicle the best way is with coilovers that were designed for the task, that way even at a lowered ride height you can be assured that the car will still have the necessary suspension travel requirements at any available ride height.

Always get an alignment after changing ride height. An alignment at a proper shop with the right hardware will end up being cheaper in the long run. Tires for these cars are not cheap!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Lowering my z, help