Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Very hard to shift want go into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:08 PM
jtearp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very hard to shift want go into reverse

I was driving home last night and after i got on it a few time the car became very hard to shift. I was less than a quarter mile from home so I got it to go into second and limped it home. Sitting in the garage with the car running and clutch engaged with some force I could get it all the gears except reverse. What could be causing this? With the car off its hard to get into gear and there is no real difference with the clutch engaged or out and it will still not go into reverse. Any advicee is appreciated.

The car is an 06 z with a built motor and katech ls9 clutch.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Before you go deeper into it make sure that the connection between the shifter box and the shifter rod hasn't slipped. It's just a friction clamp and a missed shift combined with a lot of pressure on the shifter can cause it to slip and be out of proper alignment. This is especially true if you've had it apart in the past (as in installation of the Katech clutch.)

Z//

Old 03-31-2012, 01:56 PM
HeadTurner
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Good point zoxxo, my shifter would not engaged 2nd or 4th because of this issue.. I centered the shifter and torqued down bolts with locktite and this solved my issues
Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 AM
jtearp
Advanced

Thanks for the info. What is the easiest way to access this? I assume by taking the center console out but wanted to make sure before wasting a bunch of time.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jtearp
Thanks for the info. What is the easiest way to access this? I assume by taking the center console out but wanted to make sure before wasting a bunch of time.
Yes.
  • Put the shifter in neutral (block the wheels.)
  • Remove the center console lid
  • Pop the tombstone piece out of the console itself.
  • Pop off the handbrake boot (just pull straight up.)
  • Two screws under the tombstone
  • Two screws along the passenger side of the console under where the PB boot was. Careful not to drop them!
  • Gently pull up and back on the bottom of the console piece and it will start to pop off and you can see what's going on from there.

Be gentle pulling it off as there's not a lot of slack in the wiring. It's a good idea to put masking tape on the plastic edges to keep from scratching the interior as you move things around

Now you can start learning about how every connector on the car has it's own rubic's cube puzzle to solve

You *can* get away without having to undo the cig lighter connector if you undo the rest and then (after wrapping the console piece in a towel - sharp edges can scratch the dash material) rotating it over onto the passenger floor. Can you tell I've done this more than once?

Now you can attack the shifter.

Z//
Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM
jtearp
Advanced

Thanks for posting the quick how to. It came out really easy with your instructions. The unfortunate thing is it was tight and appreared to be correct. How is it connected on the other end at the back of the car. For the past few weeks I have heard something vibrating/rattling when I first started up the car, but it would go away after a min or two. I looked a couple of times and never could find anything loose that would be causing the rattling. I am wondering if it is has come loose in the back. I couldn't see it or get to it though. Looks like I would at least have to take the exhaust off and I might could get my hand up to the area the diagram shows. Thanks again for all the help. It is much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

How is it connected on the other end at the back of the car. For the past few weeks I have heard something vibrating/rattling when I first started up the car, but it would go away after a min or two. I looked a couple of times and never could find anything loose that would be causing the rattling. I am wondering if it is has come loose in the back. I couldn't see it or get to it though. Looks like I would at least have to take the exhaust off and I might could get my hand up to the area the diagram shows. Thanks again for all the help. It is much appreciated.
If I remember correctly, the rattle in the rear that goes away (my car used to do that too) was the exhaust system. Another possibility is that the panels behnd the seats are touching and vibrating together. Those angled bits behind the seat bottoms that rise up from the floor are actually two panels close together. If they are a tick too close together... My car was doing that so we drilled holes in the interior panels, pulled them apart as much as they would allow (1/8"?) and injected expanding foam into the space between. Result = no rattling/droning and a quieter interior. Weight gain? Maybe 6 ounces

I've never heard of the shifter having issue where it goes into the tranny but I guess it's possible. I believe it's a PITA to get at that location.

Z//
Old 04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
jtearp
Advanced

when I am shifting it in and out of gear in the garage with the car not running it sounds like it has a slight rattle (1 to 3 light knocks when I put it in gear or take it out). I also check the bolts holding the shifter. The were not all that tight (with a 1/4 in wrech and not pulling to hard I was able to move then). Is it possible the shifter has moved some and need to be realigned? From the reading I have done this has caused some issues.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

when I am shifting it in and out of gear in the garage with the car not running it sounds like it has a slight rattle (1 to 3 light knocks when I put it in gear or take it out). I also check the bolts holding the shifter. The were not all that tight (with a 1/4 in wrech and not pulling to hard I was able to move then). Is it possible the shifter has moved some and need to be realigned? From the reading I have done this has caused some issues.
From what you describe I would call those sounds normal. It's a heavy transmission designed to handle many hundreds of horses. When I drive my MR2 I'm always taken by how light the shifting is compared to the Z06. But it doesn't have to handle nearly so much power and torque. And it makes clicking noises, too.

You can certainly realign the shifter and shifter box. Couldn't/shouldn't hurt.

Z//
Old 04-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

If the above mentioned fix doesn't solve the problem I recommend going after the clutch hydraulics. It sounds like the clutch is not disengaging all the way which usually starts presenting itself as difficulty engaging first or reverse. I would bleed the clutch hydraulics to remove air, flush the fluid if it looks at all dirty, and if that doesn't solve the problem possibly replace the master or slave cylinder.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
If the above mentioned fix doesn't solve the problem I recommend going after the clutch hydraulics. It sounds like the clutch is not disengaging all the way which usually starts presenting itself as difficulty engaging first or reverse. I would bleed the clutch hydraulics to remove air, flush the fluid if it looks at all dirty, and if that doesn't solve the problem possibly replace the master or slave cylinder.
I too have this problem, but if I maintain pressure on the shifter when it meets the initial resistance from the reverse gear as I slowly let off pressure from the clutch, it plops right into gear no problem. Other times it goes right in easy, no resistance. Still, what you recommend sounds like good preventative maintenance.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

subscribed
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

do you have any check engine lights??

I blew a fuse under my hood (forget what it was called) but it controlled the reverse soleniod and it made it extremely hard to get into reverse.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 PM
jtearp
Advanced

Hey guys, sorry I went out of town mid last week and I just got back. To update my situation, I tried to realign the shifter and bleed the hydraulics 8 times via the ranger method (the fluid was a little dirty but not terrible). I can now easily shift into all gears except reverse when the car is off. However when I start the car it is very diffiicult to get into any forward gear, and it will not go into reverse. If I put it in 1st and start to let off the clutch while holding the breaks the car will bog down like the clutch is engaging. Also as a side note while I was pumping the clutch to change the fluid it developed a squeeking sound when the clutch was near the floor (kind of like a rusty spring creaking). I could tell it was coming from the clutch area. It did eventually go away though. Thought it was worth mentioning as it might help determine the problem.

I do not have a check engine light on, but I will try to check the fuse to see.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 PM
jtearp
Advanced

Also, I did on occasion have a little difficulty shifting into reverse or first. More often reverse than first. However, the car went from shifting fine while driving to extremely hard to get into gear. I assume it is possible for the master or the slave was weak and to let go suddenly after a hard shift though.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:40 PM
sengli
Instructor

Sounds like its a clutch not dis-engaging all the way issue. Whished these cars still used the old Z bar linkage like the old days, where it was easily adjusted.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same issue with my 2007 Z06 and after trying all the stuff you did finally pulled the tranny. Turns out reverse gear was messed up and I think it was probably slightly off from new and finally gave out. Bought a used gear for $75 and it's been fine since. I don't think the original gear ever fit properly on the shaft to begin with. Good luck with yours.

Get notified of new replies

To Very hard to shift want go into reverse

Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 PM
jtearp
Advanced

I got the car up on jack stands. I can start the car in first with the clutch full depressed the rear wheels spin at a decent rate. Thought I would start by trying to bleed the system really well. I did the ranger method 8 to 10 times the other night, but want to try to actually bleed it at the slave. Has anyone run across a good how to preferably with pictures? I can't find anything.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 PM
jtearp
Advanced

So i bleed out the clutch from the bleeder on the slave cylinder. It is still turning the tires over with the clutch on the floor. Is there anyway to determine if this is a master or slave issue?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:14 PM
sleeperC6
Advanced

I have the same issue with my 06 Z51. I could put the shifter in neutral and let the clutch out, and my car would start rolling in first. Needless to say i knew something internal was wrong after eliminating shifter issues. after arguing for a week with the dealership that it was not my clutch, they finally pulled my trans apart. turns out first gear was damaged, along with input shaft bearing and and a few other components. i've owned the car since new. it's my daily driver. i have about 48000 on it, so i was surprised when it let go. i had that same symptom of it being a little hard to get into reverse. my car is still at the dealer, this is day 20, gm did send a new unit to be put in. my dealership has been nothing but headaches and hassles for me. good luck brother. hope its not as severe as mine.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Very hard to shift want go into reverse