Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Muffler Mod exhaust cracking problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 PM
USCGREEL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Mod exhaust cracking problem Updated APR 29 with Pics**

So I originally pulled my B&B Bullets and put on the C6Z exhaust with muffler mod done to loud pipe. Well 1 month later, it started rattling real bad, so I pulled the mufflers, cut them back open and saw the thin thin sheet of metal that the "loud pipe" goes thru on the inside, was completely cracked. So I attempted to weld it up. Well that only lasted about a week... What have other people been doing? I know this is a pretty common problem.

Last edited by USCGREEL; 04-29-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by USCGREEL
So I originally pulled my B&B Bullets and put on the C6Z exhaust with muffler mod done to loud pipe. Well 1 month later, it started rattling real bad, so I pulled the mufflers, cut them back open and saw the thin thin sheet of metal that the "loud pipe" goes thru on the inside, was completely cracked. So I attempted to weld it up. Well that only lasted about a week... What have other people been doing? I know this is a pretty common problem.
Common problem? First one I've heard of. Mine has been fine for 2 years.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:08 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have a4 post i used 2.5 tw a mig on lowest pieced in the gap bought new sheet metal for patches also took out 1/2 of insul. sounded great on dyno at 7000 so far so good new mods will tell
Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 PM
USCGREEL
Racer

Originally Posted by ToppThat
I have a4 post i used 2.5 tw a mig on lowest pieced in the gap bought new sheet metal for patches also took out 1/2 of insul. sounded great on dyno at 7000 so far so good new mods will tell
I might have to try that, did you cut out the old thin sheet metal or leave it? Do you have any pics?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 PM
USCGREEL
Racer

Originally Posted by Flareside
Common problem? First one I've heard of. Mine has been fine for 2 years.
I don't know how big of part it plays in resonance, but it's a big cam car, are you stock? I've seen some other posts about it on here too.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Default muff mod

I am a elec. but ifound a 2.1/2 fencing pipe cut it lengthwise with milw.18v.metal circ. saw then 5.3/4 length 2pair 460 channellocks got em over perf.pipe squeezed shut cut apiece of same pipe to close gap welded it heavily didnt like cutout pieces so i bought steel and high temp black so far LOUD
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a elec. but ifound a 2.1/2 fencing pipe cut it lengthwise with milw.18v.metal circ. saw then 5.3/4 length 2pair 460 channellocks got em over perf.pipe squeezed shut cut apiece of same pipe to close gap welded it heavily didnt like cutout pieces so i bought steel and high temp black so far LOUD
english, do you speak it?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Default To kllr

tryed to respond to question sorry im not up to office pimp standards
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM
USCGREEL
Racer

Thanks for the help, I do agree with that guy this is hard as hell to read but i figured it out. Using a 18 v cicular saw you cut a piece of 2.5" fence piping and cut them 5.75" long and wrapped it over a pipe, however that is not what I was talking about. I have already done that, but the muffler wall that the pipe goes thru is cracked, and it is causing the sound. I should have taken pics before.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 PM
USCGREEL
Racer

Last edited by USCGREEL; 04-05-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Inlet side. If it happens to me. Ill have to cut between spot welds on other side. to weld some type of reinforcement ,22gauge and short beads .next try ill try .024 mig wire with mixed gas .Good luck axle backs may be in the cards for both of us.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:24 PM
USCGREEL
Racer

Back at this again...

Has anyone ever basically remade the mufflers?
I am thinking about cutting the cover completely off, and replacing the two inside walls (on the quiet side seperater) with thicker sheet metal, and re welding it all back together. I really liked this setup, but can't deal with it breaking again.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:32 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

I just got my car back and with headers and catless its so loud when i hit wild its startling and i wont be surprised if they selfdestruct but if they do ill cut opposite side first so final patching wont be difficult but im going with smaller wire for mig.I would gladly help you out ,not aware of your location.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:45 PM
USCGREEL
Racer

I just got my car back and with headers and catless its so loud when i hit wild its startling and i wont be surprised if they selfdestruct but if they do ill cut opposite side first so final patching wont be difficult but im going with smaller wire for mig.I would gladly help you out ,not aware of your location.
It is really loud! But it is sweet to be able to push that button and make it quiet. I am Heads/Cam/Headers and no cats, and it is perfect. I'm in Orlando, Fl. Thanks for the offer to help but I see your in IL. I will probably try getting some sheet metal and seeing what I can do, because they were pretty cracked last time I pulled them apart
Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Paging Rich at Abel Chevrolet. He's done a bunch of these.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:47 PM
USCGREEL
Racer

Beware this might make some people mad... But i really like the loud side, wanted to retain the stock exhaust look, and making a whole new system was way beyond me. Now everyone can see what is inside the muffler.

Starting to open it up..

The rattling culprit this time..

What I decided to do, don't mind the mangled a$$ center section..it made me mad.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

wow you will probably have a truly unique sound thanks for pics for my winter project

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler Mod exhaust cracking problem

Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
ltdodge
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who did your muffler mod in orlando? i want to do it on my car, but im trying someone reputable and decent price to do the muffler mod.

thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM
veech
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by USCGREEL
Beware this might make some people mad... But i really like the loud side, wanted to retain the stock exhaust look, and making a whole new system was way beyond me. Now everyone can see what is inside the muffler.

Starting to open it up..

The rattling culprit this time..

What I decided to do, don't mind the mangled a$$ center section..it made me mad.
So you Straightpiped the mufflers?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 PM
USCGREEL
Racer

Originally Posted by ltdodge
who did your muffler mod in orlando? i want to do it on my car, but im trying someone reputable and decent price to do the muffler mod.

thanks
The place I went to went out of business, but I do know there is a forum member that comes down here regularly to do them for people, unfortunately I can't think of his name right now..

Quick Reply: [Z06] Muffler Mod exhaust cracking problem