Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] DIY McLeod RXT and LG GT4 install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:55 PM
meatheadgn
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default DIY McLeod RXT and LG GT4 install

I posted this on another thread but thought I would do a seperate thread to discuss the install of the clutch and exhaust.
Thanks to EVIL427 and UNREAL for the suggestions and help.

The install of the RXT twin went well. The suggestion to get a short 13mm universal socket was a great suggestion as it saved me some headaches. Sears had one as I did not have a set. I found that when installing the dry clutch line disconnect that is under the master cylinder if you put the clip in to the line and then reach down with one hand and push the slave side of the line into the other hard enough to engage the seal you can reach up with a finger and push the clip on. This is really a two hand job but I have hands like a lowland gorilla so that option was out.
The RXT drives like stock and you would not know that it had a special clutch in it. The bolt on the bell housing that gave me fits was the upper bolt on the passenger side that has a wiring harness metal clip bolted with it to the bellhousing. Once I got it removed I replaced the metal clip with a nylon tie as the header heat path is different than the factory path with the manifolds and cats. This will make subsequent removals much easier. The very top bolt came out once I lifted the harness out of the way with a pry bar and used the short 13mm universal socket on it. I found that to remove the bell housing I had to give it a good yank as I could not reach the large wire harness that was on the aforementioned metal clip. It reinstalled and went on much easier after I removed the obstacles that were in the way. I also lowered the front cradle as was suggested and it was an easy loosening of the four front cradle bolts and that gave me an extra inch or two of much needed clearance.
I removed the rear upper control arm bolts and the upper shock bolts to remove the rear trans and diff. I took four different color cans of spray paint and spayed each bolt and washers on each side of the upper control arms a different color to aid in reassembly. This eliminated any chance of messing up the washer arrangement.
Make sure that the new remote bleeder valve is shut before you try to pump that pedal and see how that new clutch feels.......Voice of experience and a panic car wash to remove the chance of any sprayed fluid getting on the paint.

I took the chance to install the LG GT4 exhaust when I had the stock exhaust out and I love the new sound. The exhaust system fits great and looks fantastic as it is all polished. The install was easy as there is much more room in the back with the LG exhaust plus it is lighter than the factory one by over 20 pounds.

Thanks for all of your hints and suggestions as they made the job much easier. Like the cam install, the job is not difficult just time consuming.
I am glad I did this on a car lift.

Quick Reply: [Z06] DIY McLeod RXT and LG GT4 install