Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GT transformation

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
yes, we ran 5 miles with Bill Brinkop once and he make us look like we were standing still. He told Ron and I we need to go faster and brake less ... what a strange concept
Lol, I remember that conversation well
Old 03-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks
Ironically Rich has a new C7Z06 w/ CCM's and he brought it out to the track on Friday also. He took me for a ride in it and the handeling of the car is very impressive, we were able to acheive corner speeds in that car witt stock tires comparable to what we see with our C6Z's with coilovers and R compounds/slicks. The one area severly lacking was in the power department. Both of us felt that the C7Z was a complete dog power wise and just seems to fall on it's face at 5k rpm. The mid and top end power was no where comparable to either Rich or my LS7 Katech engines. It was pretty funny actually as we were both talking to each other during the ride and we come out of the corner accelerate and I'm asking him if the took his foot off the throttle and he's rocking back and forth behind the wheel throwing his weight back and forth trying to make the car go faster lol. The car handles excpetionally well and for a street car it probably is the ultimate motor. For a track car I'd ditch that engine is a microsecond and pick up one of the new katech NA 427's that they are making for them, that would make the car an absolute beast!
Was it the heatsoak you think? while motors are build, the C7Z still shouldn't feel that bad. They are still putting down 570+ in the HP department.

Or maybe I just haven't felt the pull of a Katech motor
Old 03-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Werks
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robert R1
Was it the heatsoak you think? while motors are build, the C7Z still shouldn't feel that bad. They are still putting down 570+ in the HP department.

We were talking about that during the ride, the concensus that we both came to is that engine simply is lacking in mid to top end compared to our katech engines. As mentioned it litteraly seems to fall on it's face around 5k rpm. It was acuatlly quite disapointing as the chassis stock handles awesome!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:38 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are still putting down 570+ in the HP department.

They might be putting down that much but they are also carrying around +500lbs more than a C6Z

Werks should starting selling E ticket ride alongs with his Katech motor.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Ironically Rich has a new C7Z06 w/ CCM's and he brought it out to the track on Friday also. He took me for a ride in it and the handeling of the car is very impressive, we were able to acheive corner speeds in that car witt stock tires comparable to what we see with our C6Z's with coilovers and R compounds/slicks. The one area severly lacking was in the power department. Both of us felt that the C7Z was a complete dog power wise and just seems to fall on it's face at 5k rpm. The mid and top end power was no where comparable to either Rich or my LS7 Katech engines. It was pretty funny actually as we were both talking to each other during the ride and we come out of the corner accelerate and I'm asking him if the took his foot off the throttle and he's rocking back and forth behind the wheel throwing his weight back and forth trying to make the car go faster lol. The car handles excpetionally well and for a street car it probably is the ultimate motor. For a track car I'd ditch that engine is a microsecond and pick up one of the new katech NA 427's that they are making for them, that would make the car an absolute beast!
Outstanding answer. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:45 PM
mikymu
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vetten76
I just can't help but wonder what you'd be like in a new Z with your tires and rims and an automatic? Would your lap times be remotly close to your current times? Would the extra H/P be useable. My last blown Vette was useless. Fine. I buy the Vette. You drive! Lol...
don't know, have not driven C7Z. I am sure it's a capable car but it's really heavy and lose power after 2 laps - after engine get hot. Same issue with C6 ZR1. Our naturally aspirated engine is much better. Werks car is about 2900 lbs and mine is 3050 lbs. C7 Z06 haul around 3600 lbs which is like dragging a parachute. It's amazing that our 9 years old technology is still on top at the track and easily beat out other more sophisticated (and more expensive) cars.

That's alot of money and work to transplant the Katech engine plus you still have the weight penalty to deal with. It's kind of sad that C7 Z fall short of power beyond 5K RPM.

Originally Posted by skxf430
They might be putting down that much but they are also carrying around +500lbs more than a C6Z

Werks should starting selling E ticket ride alongs with his Katech motor.
Rich and Werks give rides but get ready to hold on!
Old 03-28-2015, 12:10 AM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a pic from the last thunder hill day of the Z06 camp.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:49 AM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by smellya
Here is a pic from the last thunder hill day of the Z06 camp.
Nice!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:23 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Milkymu, Werks, others....you guys have racked up some serious track miles on your Z cars over the past several years.
What sort of maintenance and repair Issues are you seeing ?
Who is still running the Ccb's, or has everyone gone to the iron racing brake ?
How,s the stock ls7 hold up Mike ? Any repairs required ? Btw How many miles on the odometer Currently, and how much of those are on track?
Transmissions, differentials, drive shaft...holding up ok ?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:16 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

here is Rich reeling in orthojoe. Rich is a moster! He did 3:24 on Saturday

3 questions.

Am I seeing this correctly that this GT3 is in automatic mode or something? I don't even see his fingers moving to shift the car.

Is this the same configuration that Bill Brinkop runs 3:10's on?

Is it me or is there very little to hit at this tracK? It looks like a very safe place to go quick.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:16 AM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
Milkymu, Werks, others....you guys have racked up some serious track miles on your Z cars over the past several years.
How,s the stock ls7 hold up Mike ? Any repairs required ? Btw How many miles on the odometer Currently, and how much of those are on track?
Everything is holding up surprising well after three years of track use. Engine and transmission is still original. Few hiccups such as small crack coolant pipes under the intake, lose transmission fluid line, sticky clutch and a broken fan belt all easy fix. stock shocks and leaf springs can not keep up for track use so I changed to coilover. My car is mostly for track use and don't drive it much around town so mileage is low. It's still the fastest street production car on the track (9 year old technology) every where I go. Just about the best car for track as far as cost/performance goes.

I go between CCM and iron rotors trying various brake pad compounds and iron win hands down with superior brake modulation. Werks still at it testing various brake pad compound for CCM and making some progress

Originally Posted by Racingswh
3 questions.

Am I seeing this correctly that this GT3 is in automatic mode or something? I don't even see his fingers moving to shift the car.

Is this the same configuration that Bill Brinkop runs 3:10's on?

Is it me or is there very little to hit at this tracK? It looks like a very safe place to go quick.
991 GT3 comes with paddle shifter on the steering wheel so fingers does the shifting or you can put into full auto mode and the car shift for you as shown in Joe's video. Our Z06 is just about as good as paddle shifter ... you leave it in 3rd gear most of the time.

Yes, this is the same track that Bill ran 3:13. Bill is a very capable driver and has a fast C5 race car. For street car any lap time around 3:30 for the 5 miles configuration is very fast. Thunderhill is a great track and as you can see there are alot of run off. As long as you give some offering to the grass gods and not be greedy then you will be fine

visit my buddies at Thunderhill this weekend with the Porsche club event and did not drive this time and took it easy as spectator

Last edited by mikymu; 03-31-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:44 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
I have around 10 track days in my car. My 06 Z06 has been tracked since around beginning of 06. I say over 120ish from 1st owner. It has around 35k miles total on the car now. It is on the 3rd motor. 3rd tranny. original diff. Its been through a few set of bushings. It has LG monoball bushings now. It has 3 out of 4 original hubs. front brake calipers have been rebuilt. I am running baer 6s calipers all around. with iron 14 inch rotors. not much is left stock on the car. Its fun to drive when the LS7 gods are happy. I hope to do around 18 more track days this season.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:18 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

visit my buddies at Thunderhill this weekend with the Porsche club event and did not drive this time and took it easy as spectator
Mike, good to see you last weekend.

Here are a couple of videos of me following Robert R1 in the morning.

And, in the afternoon.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:19 AM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by smellya
I have around 10 track days in my car. My 06 Z06 has been tracked since around beginning of 06. I say over 120ish from 1st owner. It has around 35k miles total on the car now. It is on the 3rd motor. 3rd tranny. original diff. Its been through a few set of bushings. It has LG monoball bushings now. It has 3 out of 4 original hubs. front brake calipers have been rebuilt. I am running baer 6s calipers all around. with iron 14 inch rotors. not much is left stock on the car. Its fun to drive when the LS7 gods are happy. I hope to do around 18 more track days this season.
damn! That's some serious use on your Z06
Old 03-31-2015, 01:51 AM
mikymu
Pro

Here are a couple of videos of me following Robert R1 in the afternoon.

WOW! very good driving and exhaust sound is crazy good

What a track event and they even have a Ferrari 458 pace car
Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 AM
Werks
Drifting

And, in the afternoon.

Good god man, do you wear ear plugs? That has got to be the loudest exhaust that I have ever heard or are you running straight pipes lol?

Next time that you are out at T-hill try not downshifting before T1. That's something that I see a lot of Porsche drivers do but with our car staying in 4th simplifies things and allows you to focus more on late braking using max force and hitting your proper turn in marker for T1. You are probably in the mid 90's when coming out of T1 and rolling on the throttle so in 4th you are in the meat of the torque band on our engines. I then do my downshift to 3rd right before entering T2, go to maintenance throttle until the apex (you are probably in the 75-80mph range there) where you are in the meat of the torque band in 3rd and start unwinding the wheel and rolling on the throttle heading to T3. I have a feeling if you do that a few times and get comfortable with it you will find your entry speeds into T1 will start creeping up and you will be carrying more speed through the T1-T2 segment dropping your times.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:48 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

And, in the afternoon.

Thank you so much for posting these! That was a blast. First time ever I've gotten to see myself drive. Lots to improve on.

Great driving man. Really nice.

Last edited by Robert R1; 03-31-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To GT transformation

Old 03-31-2015, 01:44 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Good god man, do you wear ear plugs? That has got to be the loudest exhaust that I have ever heard or are you running straight pipes lol?

Next time that you are out at T-hill try not downshifting before T1. That's something that I see a lot of Porsche drivers do but with our car staying in 4th simplifies things and allows you to focus more on late braking using max force and hitting your proper turn in marker for T1. You are probably in the mid 90's when coming out of T1 and rolling on the throttle so in 4th you are in the meat of the torque band on our engines. I then do my downshift to 3rd right before entering T2, go to maintenance throttle until the apex (you are probably in the 75-80mph range there) where you are in the meat of the torque band in 3rd and start unwinding the wheel and rolling on the throttle heading to T3. I have a feeling if you do that a few times and get comfortable with it you will find your entry speeds into T1 will start creeping up and you will be carrying more speed through the T1-T2 segment dropping your times.
Hey Ron,

The external mic is attached to my license plate so the sounds is over the top. My exhaust is fairly quiet so I like to have some sound on my videos.

I was experimenting with both downshifting, and 4th gear into to turn 1 and downshifting into turn 2. The latter like you said is slightly faster and I was able to do 154's in the afternoon.

WOW! very good driving and exhaust sound is crazy good

What a track event and they even have a Ferrari 458 pace car
Thanks Mike, and the 458's had T-Rex arms so I could not see their point bys for most of the day.

Thank you so much for posting these! That was a blast. First time ever I've gotten to see myself drive. Lots to improve on.

Great driving man. Really nice.
Robert, good to meet up with you again, and it was fun picking on the other cars that day. I look forward to doing it again soon.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:13 PM
mikymu
Pro

I like the new wing on your Z06!

Old 03-31-2015, 02:28 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

I like the new wing on your Z06!

That is an optical illusion, and that is the wing of DC640's Bimmer. Lol.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GT transformation