Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] missed shift and now no reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default missed shift and now no reverse?

I had missed a 4th gear to fifth gear shift the other day while out in the Z at about 6k rpm. I finished up my cruise and tried to back my car into the garage only to be shocked that my reverse does not engage? I can move the shifter easily in to the reverse position but when I let the clutch out nothing happens? I don't hear or feel any grinding, just a weird mechanical noise that sounds like something is free spinning and not engaging. Has anyone had this problem or have any idea what could be a possible fix? I find it hard to believe that a mis-shift can cause reverse to go out so easily. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Check your reverse lock-out solenoid. It's located on the top of the trans case. Check the fuse to it first.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:28 PM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EX1
I had missed a 4th gear to fifth gear shift the other day while out in the Z at about 6k rpm. I finished up my cruise and tried to back my car into the garage only to be shocked that my reverse does not engage? I can move the shifter easily in to the reverse position but when I let the clutch out nothing happens? I don't hear or feel any grinding, just a weird mechanical noise that sounds like something is free spinning and not engaging. Has anyone had this problem or have any idea what could be a possible fix? I find it hard to believe that a mis-shift can cause reverse to go out so easily. Thanks in advance.
Woowee, top of 4th huh!! Doesn't sound like you were out for just a nice cruise! lol I know most of the issues I've seen with the T-56's have been syncros taking a dump...usually 2nd->3rd and of course reverse. Don't know about the TR-6060 if that's what you have.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NORTY
Check your reverse lock-out solenoid. It's located on the top of the trans case. Check the fuse to it first.
I completely replaced the lock out solenoid with a new unit and replaced the fuse. Still have this issue
Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TapOut
Woowee, top of 4th huh!! Doesn't sound like you were out for just a nice cruise! lol I know most of the issues I've seen with the T-56's have been syncros taking a dump...usually 2nd->3rd and of course reverse. Don't know about the TR-6060 if that's what you have.
That is my idea of a nice cruise haha. I should of mentioned that,yes, I do have the TR-6060.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by EX1
Before you spend a ton of money on a transmssion fishing expedition, make sure that you didn't knock the shifter box link to the tranny out of wack. A missed shift can do that if you really put some pressure on it at the time.

You have a PM.

Z//
Old 06-07-2012, 06:05 AM
HeadTurner
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

I have done that before and ended up being an easy fix... Like Zoxxo says just re center the shifter and you should be good.. good luck
Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

How much force did you use ramming it in?I give shifting lessons on sundays ...lol
Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

The T56 in my 01Z was notorious about needing just the right amount of right wrist flick to upshift from 4th to 5th. On at least two occasions at freeway speed I couldn't get from the neutral gate into 5th. I let the shifter come back into center neutral and then I over did it with right hand flick and managed to rake Reverse. No ill effects ever happened over 49k miles from those misadventures. The 4th to 5th upshift is very easy with my 06Z and now 11ZR1. My experience has been that every 6-speed manual I have owned has had its own personality quirks.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EX1
That is my idea of a nice cruise haha. I should of mentioned that,yes, I do have the TR-6060.
Exactly on the nice cruise part!! Every messes with me at work asking why I got a no offense "old man's car" cause all they ever see is guys going 5mph under the speed limit in the right lane.

Your idea of a cruise is the only way putting around at 65mph what's the point without some spirited blasts!!!

As far as the trans I would call RPM and have a conversation.

Get notified of new replies

To missed shift and now no reverse?

Quick Reply: [Z06] missed shift and now no reverse?