Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My experience with PowerTech Performance in St. Pete

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Ostang351
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My experience with PowerTech Performance in St. Pete

First off, I would like to say how amazing this forum is. I wanted to express my absolute satisfaction with Joe and PowerTech Performance in St. Pete, FL. I actually found him from a recommendation on the forum. He is very professional, thorough and honest. The shop is clean and the mechanics he has there are top notch.

Just for some back story, I bought a beautiful, well cared for 06 C6Z06 with 33k from a guy in Tennessee. I have been a member of the forums for sometime and always do my research here. I got paranoid about the LS7 valve train and knew that as soon as I bought a Z I would be pulling the heads and upgrading and freshening them up. One week after purchase, I brought it to Joe. He was very knowledgeable about the issues some have about the valves dropping. I decided to add the following:

*Comp custom grind cam
*Comp springs
*Harland Sharp trunion rocker upgrade
*C5R Katech timing chain
*Have the stock TB and intake ported
*Exhaust runners ported
*160 thermo
*Heads were miled .30, SS exhaust vales, band ronze guides
*Car already had LG LTs and Halltech intake.

I got a call a day after I dropped it off from Joe telling me one of the lifters was bad. The axle that holds the roller in place which is usually press fitted, could be moved back and forth with your finger. I guess I had a right to paranoid! After all the parts came back we dyno tuned it on his own in-house DynoJet. Here is where I was totally impressed. Because of my PCM unknowingly being locked, I had to go get another one from Chevy which pushed back my dyno time. The whole staff and I stayed till 1:30am Saturday morning to get it done. Additionally I would like to thank Josh Levin who spend about 3 hours tuning the car till it was perfect. It made 551/504 and drives stock. Needless to say I am very satisfied and I would highly recommend anyone local or out of state that needs a trustworthy, competent shop to wrench on their pride and joy, to take it to PowerTech Performance. He also has a connection with James, a very meticulous shipper that handles very high-end cars if transport was ever needed.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt the need to express my appreciation when someone comes through with what they promise.

Thanks,

Owen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5487399...in/photostream
Old 06-16-2012, 12:04 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Joe?? yeah I know that guy
Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Turbo Joe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ostang351
First off, I would like to say how amazing this forum is. I wanted to express my absolute satisfaction with Joe and PowerTech Performance in St. Pete, FL. I actually found him from a recommendation on the forum. He is very professional, thorough and honest. The shop is clean and the mechanics he has there are top notch.

Just for some back story, I bought a beautiful, well cared for 06 C6Z06 with 33k from a guy in Tennessee. I have been a member of the forums for sometime and always do my research here. I got paranoid about the LS7 valve train and knew that as soon as I bought a Z I would be pulling the heads and upgrading and freshening them up. One week after purchase, I brought it to Joe. He was very knowledgeable about the issues some have about the valves dropping. I decided to add the following:

*Comp custom grind cam
*Comp springs
*Harland Sharp trunion rocker upgrade
*C5R Katech timing chain
*Have the stock TB and intake ported
*Exhaust runners ported
*160 thermo
*Heads were miled .30, SS exhaust vales, band ronze guides
*Car already had LG LTs and Halltech intake.

I got a call a day after I dropped it off from Joe telling me one of the lifters was bad. The axle that holds the roller in place which is usually press fitted, could be moved back and forth with your finger. I guess I had a right to paranoid! After all the parts came back we dyno tuned it on his own in-house DynoJet. Here is where I was totally impressed. Because of my PCM unknowingly being locked, I had to go get another one from Chevy which pushed back my dyno time. The whole staff and I stayed till 1:30am Saturday morning to get it done. Additionally I would like to thank Josh Levin who spend about 3 hours tuning the car till it was perfect. It made 551/504 and drives stock. Needless to say I am very satisfied and I would highly recommend anyone local or out of state that needs a trustworthy, competent shop to wrench on their pride and joy, to take it to PowerTech Performance. He also has a connection with James, a very meticulous shipper that handles very high-end cars if transport was ever needed.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt the need to express my appreciation when someone comes through with what they promise.

Thanks,

Owen

[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/54873992@N08/7377200920/in/photostream[/url]
We appreciate all of the work. The car turned out great and is a freight train up top. Thanks for staying with us so late, told you we would get the job done. The computer was a bit of a hassle but nothing we couldn't work through.

Finiding that lifter was simply luck my friend. Have you been able to line up with Mark's GTR yet?

Joe
Powertech Performance Inc.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Ostang351
Instructor

Thanks again, Joe. I took Mark for a ride and he thinks it feels faster than his GTR, but we haven't lined up yet. I'm working on that...
Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

i too had a great experiance at powertech performance. i had the same mods and same cam done there a few months ago. i have put close to 6000 miles on the car since the work was done and the car is flawless. service is top notch and i never had to worry about anything while it was in his care. his guys are very good at getting things done right the first time. i have been in many shops all over the state and while some did seem to do good work as well, i didnt see the same care taken with reguards to protecting customers cars as i did in joes shop. his work ethic and honesty sets a benchmark. his attention to detail and follow up after the sale also set him appart from the crowd.

owen, i am the guy you spoke with on the phone about the h/c set up in my car. glad you are happy with how everything came out. i knew you would be. its a very well run shop.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Ostang351
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2000FRCZ19
i too had a great experiance at powertech performance. i had the same mods and same cam done there a few months ago. i have put close to 6000 miles on the car since the work was done and the car is flawless. service is top notch and i never had to worry about anything while it was in his care. his guys are very good at getting things done right the first time. i have been in many shops all over the state and while some did seem to do good work as well, i didnt see the same care taken with reguards to protecting customers cars as i did in joes shop. his work ethic and honesty sets a benchmark. his attention to detail and follow up after the sale also set him appart from the crowd.

owen, i am the guy you spoke with on the phone about the h/c set up in my car. glad you are happy with how everything came out. i knew you would be. its a very well run shop.
Thanks again for the advice on the cam! The car drives very nice and pulls hard.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 AM
SPDKNGG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff. Congrats. The dyno room at Powertech is sick.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 PM
troy6166
Instructor

Could you share the cam specs?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Ostang351
Instructor

I'll look for the cam card tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:10 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

I just bought a used supercharger from one of his customers. joe did the uninstall/pkg/shipping of the blower/meth kit. The care in packaging of this kit was crazy good. says alot for his attention to detail.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:02 PM
JRRSA
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up my car today. Heads complete. I already have another thread started, however, I will jump on this one as well to say how extremely satisfied I am with Joe and Powertech. It's so hard to find someone that not only does exactly what they said they would do, but even more. Expectations exceeded FOR SURE. If you are in the Southeast and looking for a good shop you can trust, give Joe a call. Here is a picture of my car as it was being detailed before I picked it up.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2015, 06:31 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

I talked to Joe at length the other day, very impressed with his knowledge and professionalism, if I lived in Florida I would use his shop.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:43 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by JRRSA
Picked up my car today. Heads complete. I already have another thread started, however, I will jump on this one as well to say how extremely satisfied I am with Joe and Powertech. It's so hard to find someone that not only does exactly what they said they would do, but even more. Expectations exceeded FOR SURE. If you are in the Southeast and looking for a good shop you can trust, give Joe a call. Here is a picture of my car as it was being detailed before I picked it up.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

looks like I have found a good, somewhat local shop!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:42 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Geared
looks like I have found a good, somewhat local shop!
only place I take our 3 Vettes and my Jeep

Get notified of new replies

To My experience with PowerTech Performance in St. Pete

Quick Reply: [Z06] My experience with PowerTech Performance in St. Pete