Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need help, upgrade to a bigger cam or get a blower?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
06LMBZ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need help, upgrade to a bigger cam or get a blower?

Forum members and vendors,

I am in need of some advice, I am currently making 562/497 with the following mods:

WCCH heads, LG G7X3 cam, Fast 102mm intake, NW TB, Halltech MF103, LT's and full exhaust.

My question is, what do I need for a solid 9 sec daily driver My first thought is to upgrade and buy a more aggressive cam and shoot for 600rwhp. I already have a pretty solid N/A setup and I think it would be alot cheaper to go with a bigger cam than $7500+ for a blower. Although, I am open to suggestions. If I go with a larger cam would it get me there, or be worth the price? As for cams, I was thinking of either an LGXX, Widow-R or RR Punisher Cam, suggestions and or comments would be apprecaited.

Also, what is the average price for a cam install? Not sure if I would need new springs as I am sure the previous owner had them done when he installed the LG G7X3 cam.

Thank you for time,

Allen
Old 06-18-2012, 11:00 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I always heard you need to change out the Springs every 15-20k miles. And you'd need to change them if they dont have the appropriate Lift rating of the new cam (if you decide to go bigger) whether you have less than 15-20k on the miles or not on them.

What do you run now? Depending what your at now that'll help more
Old 06-18-2012, 11:04 PM
06LMBZ
Burning Brakes

I honestly don't know what springs are in there, I bought the car with most of the mods installed. Regardless, it sounds like spings are a good piece of mind anyways. Thank you for your post.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 AM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

A C6 Z with a good heads/cam combo, tire, and a decent driver can runs 9s. If you think you need more power, add a small shot of nitrous. It is a very cheap and easy way to add power and is only there when you need it. Doing another cam swap isn't going to give you the kick in the pants I think you are looking for. $7500 for a blower vs. ~$1000 for a good kit and tune.

If you do decide to go with the blower, make sure whatever cam you are running is good for boost.

Last edited by EX1; 06-19-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 AM
3deep
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a daily driver I vote blower.Stock feel when your not on boost.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:54 PM
06LMBZ
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the opinions, please keep them up.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldnt put a blower on a cammed up ls7 thats asure recipe for KABOOM.Have you clocked your car as is at a track?You arent going nines with a rear wheel drive on street tires .The thing is that sometimes more power doesnt equal faster times.For curiosity sake go and clock the car as is and then you ll decide whats the best way to go faster.You dont sound like an experienced guy when it comes to these things so i urge you to be very carefull these motors can blow under boost.Astock motor with a blower is usually safe but you are far from stock.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 PM
06LMBZ
Burning Brakes

I admit I am not very experienced with LS7 motors but have been racing mustangs both pushrod and modular motors since the mid 90's. I have owned several 10 sec cars and one 9 sec 5.0. However, I switched to corvettes because I wanted to compete in both auto x as well as drag racing. Also my Uncle and I are looking into the Nevade Silver State Challenge next year. Anyhow, I am hoping to get to the local Tucson track this friday night, depending on the weather. I have nitto 345 nt05r's out back and am hoping for a 12.0 at 120, with the hot temps and crazy DAs here that should equate to a mid 10 sec pass at 130+ at sea level.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help, upgrade to a bigger cam or get a blower?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need help, upgrade to a bigger cam or get a blower?