Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Repair Method GY F1 (Gen1)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Repair Method GY F1 (Gen1)

I have had to remove one of my rear aftermarket wheels d/t a finish issue so I can send it back to them before the warranty expires.....

I have my factory (original Z06) wheels w/the original factory tires on them w/about 50-60% tread remaining.

When I pulled them down off my mezinine I found that one was flat and the other is low and has a nail in it (both rears).

What is the preferred method for repairing these tires? Plug? Patch? Plug AND patch....the Goodyear dealer in Denison Texas would not touch them.

I don't know whether to be happy or dumbfounded GoodYear will not/cannot repair their OWN tires. They told me they did not have a qualified guy to do this....???

Anyhow, I have brought the tires/wheels back to the city to get this done....I'm going to Discount Tire today to get this done....what should I expect...plug only or both....

I'm thinking both. thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Depending on where the nail is determines if they will repair them. There is a specified distance from the side that a patch cannot be made in. I had the same issue with one of mine. If they are original as mine were they warrantied the tire and gave me another at pro rated cost depending in tread wear.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Oleman
Depending on where the nail is determines if they will repair them. There is a specified distance from the side that a patch cannot be made in. I had the same issue with one of mine. If they are original as mine were they warrantied the tire and gave me another at pro rated cost depending in tread wear.
The nails (3-nails-2 in one of them and 1 in other) are all on the 'footprint' area and NOT in the sidewall.....not even close to side wall.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:38 AM
AduB794
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The proper method is to patch them on the inside. I have plugged lots of tires without failure, but plugs can cause the tire to separate causing a bubble between the belt and tread. If you are just putting the tires on to ride around town they should be fine to plug. If you plan on going to the drag strip or going out for a "spirited" driving session, then I would patch.

Hope this helps
Old 07-18-2012, 07:04 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

^ What he said.

There are some Goodyear Dealers that won't work on these tires.

When I had a flat on my C5 Z06, I called around and found one of the dealers qualified to repair the tire. They did a good job. (Goodyear)

You could call America's Tire or any dealer that carries these to see if they could do it.

Good luck, 2k
Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
^ What he said.

There are some Goodyear Dealers that won't work on these tires.

When I had a flat on my C5 Z06, I called around and found one of the dealers qualified to repair the tire. They did a good job. (Goodyear)

You could call America's Tire or any dealer that carries these to see if they could do it.

Good luck, 2k
Discount Tire repaired them.

I do not understand why GoodYear cannot or would not repair their own tire...does it take a rocket scientist to dismount, repair and remount the tire....it's their business.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:23 PM
AduB794
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414

I do not understand why GoodYear cannot or would not repair their own tire...does it take a rocket scientist to dismount, repair and remount the tire....it's their business.
I think they (goodyear) were concerned with liability
Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AduB794
I think they (goodyear) were concerned with liability
They are I have been told that before by a manger. The ratings of the tire are basically gone once they are repaired, at least I was told that. They warrantied my tire.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414

GY tire stores are worthless from all the negative comments made over many years here on the Forum. I go straight to Discount for any tire issues. Had many tires repaired at Discount.

Get notified of new replies

To Repair Method GY F1 (Gen1)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Repair Method GY F1 (Gen1)