Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Lightweight enclosed car hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Default Lightweight enclosed car hauler?

I'd appreciate some input / advice on enclosed trailers for hauling the Z around, as well as a place to store it in the winter. I know, it's not ideal to store a car in a trailer, in the cold all winter long, but I want my garage back and I have no other options to me until I build another house. I still need to figure out where I want to live before I can build the house..... So, for the time being, I plan to store the car in the trailer during the winter months, which is why I'm looking to buy an enclosed trailer verse a lighter open deck car hauler.

I have a preference for half ton gas engine pickups. I just like the way they ride and handle better than 3/4 ton trucks. I have been buying sierra denali's for the past several years, as I like their AWD. It's time to trade the 08 in on a new truck. These half ton's have no problem 'pulling' 10,000 pounds, but they suck dragging them over mountain passes and bumpy roads. In my experience, even with a load distribution hitch, 7500 pounds or thereabouts is the limit under these conditions. Because I will be dragging the car around, the type of trailer I buy will effect the truck I buy. If I can't find a suitable lightweight trailer, I may just suck it up and buy a 3/4 ton diesel truck.

All that aside, I'd like to find a good enclosed car hauler that weighs less than 4000 pounds. I'm not sure if one exists. It needs a winch or access door to pull the car up, as I have no clue how I could possibly drive this car up an enclosed trailer, crawl out the window, then figure out some way to get to the tie downs. I'm thinking that it would be much easier to just hook the straps to the front frame tie downs to a shackle, then winch the sucker up the ramps into the trailer.

Not ever owning one of these trailers, I'm not real sure what else I need to consider, or where to look, brands / manufactures, etc.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The average enclosed trailer weights just about 150 lbs. per foot--a Featherlight is a little less
Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Feel your pain

Michael,

I've gone through the exact issue that you are now deal with. I don't have a Z but have two classic Vettes, a '62 and a '66. The enclosed trailer helps me out when I want to free up some space in the garage and is great when you travel since no one can see what you're hauling.

I ended up with a 22' slant hose trailer from TWI (Trailer World Inc) in Bowling Green, KY. Everything I looked at that was lightweight was nearly double the price. I opted for a winch and a big door on the drivers side I make getting out of the easier. One reason I went with TWI was they make their inner fenders low so you can get a Vette in. With some manufacturers you can't open the door once you're inside. If I had it to do again I'd get an even bigger drivers side door in order to accommodate a variety of cars.

Like you, I didn't want to get into the 3/4 ton because of the drive/handling issues you referred. I pull with a 2 wheel drive 2005 Chevy pick-up with the 5.3L. This set-up pulls fine until you get to the hills and they really work the 5.3L. My guess would be that the 6.0L would help a great deal.

Good luck with your decision and whatever you do - be safe!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Buy a diesel before you consider a trailer. I pull with a Ford F250 with the 6.4 liter in it and it tows like a dream. You can't even tell something is behind you. I only pull a 20' open full deck trailer with my car on it. I towed the same setup with my dads Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 in it and omg the poor truck struggled with it. Trans temps, weight, acceleration, were all factors.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:52 PM
ZR-1 1991
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what you need .

I haul it with this.

and this is my car.

As you can see there is a door on the right , you open it drive car in .It is wired 120 plus 12 volts .Best of both worlds. I purchased it in the US.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

this ...http://www.trailex.com/CTE-80180.cfm
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM
AduB794
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice setup, Dave!

Another brand to consider is pace american.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Buy a diesel before you consider a trailer. I pull with a Ford F250 with the 6.4 liter in it and it tows like a dream. You can't even tell something is behind you. I only pull a 20' open full deck trailer with my car on it. I towed the same setup with my dads Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 in it and omg the poor truck struggled with it. Trans temps, weight, acceleration, were all factors.
If I was going to go with an enclosed trailer, I definitely would not mess around on the tow vehicle because of the extra weight and the wind drag of that enclosed trailer.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

go with a diesel you will be happier in the end. fuel is more but it ends up working out to be better in the end if you are towing. you will find you will get much better mileage as well as increased stopping power. I haul a heavy 26 foot enclosed trailer and my offshore boat and you would never know anything is back there. I went with a dodge megacab with the cummins 6.7 and it rides very close the the chevy avalanche it replaced. I get about 22mpg on the highway with out a load. about 16 with a load depending on how much incilne. test drive a few before you decide. I daily drive mine and love it.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Dave - What's the weight of that trailer?? Nice looking for sure. Nicer than my garage..LOL So you don't have any trouble getting to the tie downs after the car is loaded? I have trouble getting to them without being confined to a trailer. You're not not a 85 pound girl are you?

If I intended to haul the car around a lot, a diesel rig would definitely be my choice, but I really don't see myself dragging it around that much. Maybe once a year?? Hence this little dilemma of mine.

I am actually looking at Dodge this time. I'm quite impressed with the Longhorn package (saddle stitching the same color anyway).

The Z06 is lowered, with ZRI splitter, so whatever I get, it needs to be pretty low with a nice long ramp.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 PM
ZR-1 1991
Racer

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Dave - What's the weight of that trailer?? Nice looking for sure. Nicer than my garage..LOL So you don't have any trouble getting to the tie downs after the car is loaded? I have trouble getting to them without being confined to a trailer. You're not not a 85 pound girl are you?

If I intended to haul the car around a lot, a diesel rig would definitely be my choice, but I really don't see myself dragging it around that much. Maybe once a year?? Hence this little dilemma of mine.

I am actually looking at Dodge this time. I'm quite impressed with the Longhorn package (saddle stitching the same color anyway).

The Z06 is lowered, with ZRI splitter, so whatever I get, it needs to be pretty low with a nice long ramp.
I think its about 5,000 LB , I purchased it in Maryland ,had it special built .Then towed it over 1,000 miles home . Didn't even know it was behind me. Except when I looked in my rear view mirror. It has a door in front ,and with the rear ramp down , no problem to reach tie downs . if you look closely ,you will see an incline that runs from the rear door to the side door (look at left side) .So is sloped from lip of ramp that folds out all the way to the left side door .its called a beaver tail . My Z goes in no problem ,but its not lowered, The lowest part of the vette is not the splitter ,but the black rubber a foot back behind it
Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 PM
ZR-1 1991
Racer

P.S --I'm 242 lb 5.11
Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 PM
930man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my second trailer is a trailex... all alum. 1900 lbs perfect for weekend pulls ... I pulled my porsche cup car with Cayenne..
Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-1 1991
I haul it with this.
I haul w/an H2 as well, seemed kind of stressed until I put a Magnacharger on back in February. Now it doesn't downshift near as much when towing, also mileage dropped 1 mpg when towing, increased 1/2 mpg when not towing.(but requires 91 octane minimum)
Old 07-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nanook
Wow....17K +. Would be perfect though....damn... No, too much money, can't do it. My son starts college this year and I'm footing the bill.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:44 PM
ZR-1 1991
Racer

Wow....17K +. Would be perfect though....damn... No, too much money, can't do it. My son starts college this year and I'm footing the bill.
Mine was less than that -$13,000.00 and it has a LOT of options.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZR-1 1991
Mine was less than that -$13,000.00 and it has a LOT of options.
Ten grand is about my limit, or at least that's the number rolling around in my head. I live in Alaska, so I was going to pick up the truck somewhere in the lower 48, swing by and pick up a trailer, fill it up with stuff and head north.

Where did you buy that trailer, and what's the length?

Get notified of new replies

To Lightweight enclosed car hauler?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM
ZR-1 1991
Racer

Ten grand is about my limit, or at least that's the number rolling around in my head. I live in Alaska, so I was going to pick up the truck somewhere in the lower 48, swing by and pick up a trailer, fill it up with stuff and head north.

Where did you buy that trailer, and what's the length?
I'll send you a PM
Old 06-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

There is a high probability that I'm buying a truck in Idaho within the next few weeks. I'm negotiating over a Ram 2500 with the 6.7.

Anyone have a rec for a trailer manufacture or vendor in Idaho or Western Wa?? I'm about sick of surfing CL.

Also, should I go 20' or longer? The car will fit in a 20' trailer, but is that long enough?

Oh, and what about tie downs? Should I go with floor rings for / aft or tire straps?
Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 PM
KLRBEE2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a brand new 24' V nose double axle for $5k in Savannah, GA...plane jane; I wanted to do the interior myself. Side door, long supported ramp. Very nice! A winch is like $300. All that extra stuff you could do yourself and save $$$

Quick Reply: [Z06] Lightweight enclosed car hauler?