Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Switching from 2009 Z06 to 2009 Viper-trading up or going sideways?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Switching from 2009 Z06 to 2009 Viper-trading up or going sideways?

I am ready to pull the trigger and switch my 2009 Z06 for 2009 SRT10 Viper convertible. My Z06 is 3LZ, loaded to the max while Viper is pretty basic, like Vipers are.

Is this a good idea or not? Strictly a weekend car, already have a 2009 Z51 M6 NPP base as a daily driver. So... good idea or not? Please do not flame me, I am seriously torn here... I am not sure if this is an upgrade, going sideways or downgrade...
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by petermj
I am ready to pull the trigger and switch my 2009 Z06 for 2009 SRT10 Viper convertible. My Z06 is 3LZ, loaded to the max while Viper is pretty basic, like Vipers are.

Is this a good idea or not? Strictly a weekend car, already have a 2009 Z51 M6 NPP base as a daily driver. So... good idea or not? Please do not flame me, I am seriously torn here... I am not sure if this is an upgrade, going sideways or downgrade...

It depends how ya look at it. From a financial perspective, I believe Viper will hold it's resale better. But from terms of driving to enjoy, more creature comfort found in Corvette. As far a performance, the Viper is unforgiving without nannies. If your in to it for sheer powerful fun, Viper. If your in to all around sports car, Z06.

If upkeep cost are considerstion. Corvette. Parts for Vipers I understand are more costly and make Corvette tax less painful so to speak.

True American icon Corvette all day. Vipers are cool cars though. Would love to have a blue GTS.

Last edited by tim414; 07-21-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

08 & newer Viper > C6 Z 06 I would say.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:48 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

If you really want a Viper wait till the '13 is out, now that's a beast with all the creature comforts.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:48 PM
John_P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--------------------------------------------------
I agree with what Tim has already told you.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the Vipers. They are hard to get into, hard to get out of and if they have the side exhaust they are HOT!
I also don't care for the sound of that V-10. In my opinion the Z06 sounds alot better and is a much more comfortable car.

BUT,....it is YOUR choice Sir and in the end you will have to make that decision. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

-------
John_P
Old 07-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I certainly wouldn't fault you for the change, especially since you already have another C6 Vette. Vipers are beautiful cars, and wouldn't mind having one myself. I'd say, go for it. Only thing that might get in my way, is the new SRT Viper that just came out. But we're talking some cash here.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:27 PM
20psirabbit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with a guy who owned both simultaneously. I asked him which he liked better. His reply was basically that when he wanted to get women without even trying, he drove the viper. Otherwise, for pretty much any other occasion, he took the Z.
When I asked him why, he said the viper was rather uncomfortable on long drives (he was a little skinny guy too, not a big and tall type) and generally just didn't feel as refined as the Z. He later sold the viper and kept the Z.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Olddudesrule
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold an 01 Viper GTS/ACR edition to get my 07 Z. Pretty much everything you've heard and read about the Viper is true. Hot interior, tighter in and out than the Vette, and parts are a bit more expensive. That said, I loved driving it, and it got a hell of a lot more attention than the Z ever has. Monster torque, heavier steering than the Vette, and not nearly as refined overall. The longest I ever drove it was from Northern Cali to Phoenix. It wasn't to bad of a ride, but not as comfortable as the Vette in the long haul.

For me, it came down to wanting to own and drive another icon. I'm glad I bought it, and glad I sold it for another Z. I actually had an 03 Z before the Viper, and a Factory Five Cobra in between.

I'd tell you, if you can swing it, go for it. They're just cars afterall. If you don't like it, you can always sell it.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:45 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 20psirabbit
I spoke with a guy who owned both simultaneously. I asked him which he liked better. His reply was basically that when he wanted to get women without even trying, he drove the viper. Otherwise, for pretty much any other occasion, he took the Z.
When I asked him why, he said the viper was rather uncomfortable on long drives (he was a little skinny guy too, not a big and tall type) and generally just didn't feel as refined as the Z. He later sold the viper and kept the Z.
I am not looking for a babe magnet, just a weekend toy...
Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Olddudesrule
I sold an 01 Viper GTS/ACR edition to get my 07 Z. Pretty much everything you've heard and read about the Viper is true. Hot interior, tighter in and out than the Vette, and parts are a bit more expensive. That said, I loved driving it, and it got a hell of a lot more attention than the Z ever has. Monster torque, heavier steering than the Vette, and not nearly as refined overall. The longest I ever drove it was from Northern Cali to Phoenix. It wasn't to bad of a ride, but not as comfortable as the Vette in the long haul.

For me, it came down to wanting to own and drive another icon. I'm glad I bought it, and glad I sold it for another Z. I actually had an 03 Z before the Viper, and a Factory Five Cobra in between.

I'd tell you, if you can swing it, go for it. They're just cars afterall. If you don't like it, you can always sell it.

my understanding is that 09 Viper would have most of the issue resolved or minimized, including some heat insulation? I was specifically looking at 2008 and up for this and extra power reasons... I miss the drop top a lot but love performance of Z06, thus, the dilemma. Vipers do not come around a lot and I jumped before giving a serious thought, not done yet but I was supposed to finalize on Tuesday...
Old 07-21-2012, 10:51 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I am not looking for a babe magnet, just a weekend toy...
I think as others have said, it doesn't have nearly the comfort or amenities of a Z but it is a cool/fast/raw car.

I would personally hold out for an ACR though...(I'm not into the look of the Viper Vert, but that's just me)

Can't go wrong either way. Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:51 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pokerpro
If you really want a Viper wait till the '13 is out, now that's a beast with all the creature comforts.
Twice as much money for the new one though...
Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
I think as others have said, it doesn't have nearly the comfort or amenities of a Z but it is a cool/fast/raw car.

I would personally hold out for an ACR though...(I'm not into the look of the Viper Vert, but that's just me)

Can't go wrong either way. Good luck with your choice.
I looked at ACR, I was actually surprised how little it offered performance wise over regular Viper unless you need the extra downforce and can live with the rear wing and front splitter Tough choice
Old 07-22-2012, 12:23 AM
smallblk400
Burning Brakes

I have both a Z06 & a '08 Viper coupe. I've taken my Viper on many long distance road trips & it is an awesome experience. My girl loves the seats & falls asleep comfortably even with the aftermarket exhaust I have on it. Bottom line is if you get the Viper you won't be disappointed. I love my Z & I love my Viper. The Viper is a torque Monster & sounds amazing with an aftermarket exhaust. I love the V8 sound but the 600hp V10 with exhaust has a growl/bark that sounds exotic & is so addicting. I've even had woman/ people pull up & tell me how beautiful the car is. Bottom line is get the viper or keep the Z. This a good dilema to have. LOl
Old 07-22-2012, 01:06 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by smallblk400
I have both a Z06 & a '08 Viper coupe. I've taken my Viper on many long distance road trips & it is an awesome experience. My girl loves the seats & falls asleep comfortably even with the aftermarket exhaust I have on it. Bottom line is if you get the Viper you won't be disappointed. I love my Z & I love my Viper. The Viper is a torque Monster & sounds amazing with an aftermarket exhaust. I love the V8 sound but the 600hp V10 with exhaust has a growl/bark that sounds exotic & is so addicting. I've even had woman/ people pull up & tell me how beautiful the car is. Bottom line is get the viper or keep the Z. This a good dilema to have. LOl
Thanks for great input. If I did not have the base and Z, Z most likely would stay but given the current situation, it makes more sense to me to keep the base. I have a couple of days to go and sign the paperwork...
Old 07-22-2012, 02:20 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Chonger
08 & newer Viper > C6 Z 06 I would say.
1000%, surprise, surprise, I love my C6 Z, but I LOVE 2008-10 Vipers, especially the ACRs and hardtops that much more!

When my GMPP warranty runs out on my 2006 C6 Z in 3 years, I will be looking to trade up to a 600 HP 2009-2010 Viper, REALLY love the VOI special edition 2009 Viper Coupe, all in silver with black wheels, and only 100 made (SWEET CAR)!!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:35 AM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smallblk400
I love my Z & I love my Viper.
Yes I envy both as well, even my GTS. They are all fun cars to take out on the track too..

There are no problems with inside cabin heat on the 2008-2010 Vipers. They fixed all of that..

Get notified of new replies

To Switching from 2009 Z06 to 2009 Viper-trading up or going sideways?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:39 AM
brewersprts
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^^^^ You sir, are a beast. Nice collection, is the c6z your daily driver?

Back to the OP, since you already have a vette, I would say absolutely get the viper. They're more exotic looking and rarer. Not as good a driver as the Z but vipers have a special niche.

IMO, brown bag it for lunch and save money, and trade the z51 for the viper. Keeping the z and having a viper would be sweet
Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by LEE427
Yes I envy both as well, even my GTS. They are all fun cars to take out on the track too..

There are no problems with inside cabin heat on the 2008-2010 Vipers. They fixed all of that..

Sweet cars for sure....Would love to be in your shoes....except I would have both Z model Vettes and the blue GTS....those dam things are sweeeeet. I love the coupes (GTS?) Don't get me wrong though...I like the silver one too.

Before I bought my first Vette, it was a hard and difficult decision for me to choose between Vette or Viper. I went Vette because it's the original icon and I wanted one since I was a kid (C3's were new then...)
Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 PM
smallblk400
Burning Brakes

Awesome Collection Lee427!!! Trust me owning a Newer Viper has been an amazing addition/experience. If you only own 1 type of performance car I completely see how you can judge other types of cars & compare the advantages & perceived disadvantages of others to your car. But owning a few other performance cars you can really appreciate all the traits of those cars just as you appreciate the Z.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Switching from 2009 Z06 to 2009 Viper-trading up or going sideways?