Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dealer won't take responsibility? What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 PM
AmitZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer won't take responsibility? What should I do?

Hello,

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 w/ 39k miles. I do have a aftermarket warranty with VehicleOne Only modification I have is a Halltech MF103 Intake and ZR1 Body kit. I do not track my car.

About 6 months ago, I had a problem with my Z. The rear shaft broke, which also led to the differential casing being broken.

I took my car to Champion Chevrolet in Houston, TX where the did the repairs. Both shafts, seals were replaced. As for the differential, they rebuilt it. All worked was completed under the aftermarket warranty.

3 Months ago, I noticed a grind in my transmission after shifting. So I took my car to Mac Haik Chevrolet (different Chevrolet dealer) of Houston, TX. Mac Haik removed the transmission and replaced it with another one. All repairs seemed to be fine, until I took my car back for an oil change.

I took my car to Mac Haik Chevrolet in Houston, TX, so they could perform an oil change. When the oil change was completed the tech advised me that there was a leak by the oil pan in my car and it needed another gasket. The aftermarket warranty took care of the repair bill and that was fixed. After that repair, the tech advised me there was another leak by the transmission and rear differential and shafts. They fixed the leak by the transmission, they said it was the transmission pump. They also said they could NOT fix the leak by the differential, because it was Champion Chevrolets fault, due to a improper installation of seals when they installed the shafts and differential. And I would need to take my car to them.

The following day I took my car to Champion Chevrolet, so they could complete the repairs. The service advisor had me wait until the could figure out the problem. I was then denied service because Champion Chevrolet said they were not liable, because Mac Haik worked on the car and caused the problem when the completed the transmission work. So they told me to take my car back to Mac Haik.

The following day I called my service tech advisor Russel at Mac Haik. Russel had talked to the supervisor at Champion Chevrolet and they talked it over and said for me to take my car back to Mac Haik. My service advisor Russel had gone on vacation and I was forced to deal with another man. His name was Phil. I dropped my car off and they put me in a loaner vehicle. I got a call around 5PM the same day from the supervisor Bryan Caldwell. He denied the service, because he said it was Champions Chevrolet's fault, because they did the work on the differential. He also said that I'd be charged for the loaner car, which I think is completely wrong, only because I was told to bring my car back and "they would take care of it."

Long story short, no one wants to take responsibility. Champion Chevrolet says its Mac Haiks fault. Mac Haik says its Champion Chevrolets fault. Not sure what I should do. I've taken my car from dealership, back to dealership, back to dealership and still haven't had the problem fixed. All parts that have been replaced are now under Chevrolets factory warranty except seals.

I would really appreciate the help,

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I know if you paid for the repairs each one would be covered for 1 year and 12K miles by GM no matter which dealer did the work. Not sure how Vehicle One works but it is a separate company from GM and paid to have correct service done to your vehicle. I would expect the coverage from GM to be the same no matter who wrote the check for the repairs. Might be time to talk to Vehicle One and see what they say about not getting their money's worth in repairs as well as talking to GM Customer Service. You have two independent companies pointing fingers at each other along with an independent payee and somehow GM is involved as well. GM is probably the one that can iron this out.

Bill
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's too bad you didn't stay with one dealership. I had a similar problem where one dealership fixed something (oil pan gasket replaced) but ended up screwing something else up. A second dealer had to fix that screw up but charged me because that were not at fault. Ultimately, the first dealer reimbursed me. How much would this cost you out-of-pocket? Good luck.

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 07-24-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to take it to a 3rd dealership under the warranty and just tell them you have a leak and it needs to be fixed.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
TurdsOfMayhem
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I think that is crap. I really do hate dealing with dealerships. You trust them to perform the work correctly, and they don't. I have several horror stories from when I had my Formula...

Hopefully soon it will get worked out.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM
TurdsOfMayhem
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Try to take it to a 3rd dealership under the warranty and just tell them you have a leak and it needs to be fixed.
I tried this with my Formula, and they saw the service history. Didn't work. But you never know.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:21 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They might see the service history of the vehicle in GM's computer system, that might not fly...

So frustrating reading your dilemma, makes you want to drive a f*cking bulldozer through the front of the showroom!

Good Luck.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

I think the prior repairs will show up when the 3rd dealer runs the cars service history based on the VIN...................
Old 07-24-2012, 01:53 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

On a good note at least the aftermarket warranty covered the big repairs.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

The warranty plan itself will likely deny coverage beacuse they already paid for this once.

Why did you go to two different places? What caused the tranny to fail? You stated that the half shaft broke and this caused the diff to need rebuilt???
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 PM
AmitZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by BigMike NY
They might see the service history of the vehicle in GM's computer system, that might not fly...

So frustrating reading your dilemma, makes you want to drive a f*cking bulldozer through the front of the showroom!

Good Luck.

Originally Posted by tim414
The warranty plan itself will likely deny coverage beacuse they already paid for this once.

Why did you go to two different places? What caused the tranny to fail? You stated that the half shaft broke and this caused the diff to need rebuilt???
The reason I went to two different dealerships was because the first dealership was not doing work to their ability. Even after I had the shafts fixed, they leaked. I took it back and they leaked again. So, I realized I needed to change dealerships. Im pretty sure they are the one's to blame.

Yes the tranny had a grind when shifting, so they decided to change the transmission.

When the shaft blew up, it whipped so hard that it cracked the case to the differential!

Thanks guys.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...so, to be clear, you're saying that the first dealer (Champion Chevrolet) is not capable of fixing the car ?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I know if you paid for the repairs each one would be covered for 1 year and 12K miles by GM no matter which dealer did the work. Not sure how Vehicle One works but it is a separate company from GM and paid to have correct service done to your vehicle. I would expect the coverage from GM to be the same no matter who wrote the check for the repairs. Might be time to talk to Vehicle One and see what they say about not getting their money's worth in repairs as well as talking to GM Customer Service. You have two independent companies pointing fingers at each other along with an independent payee and somehow GM is involved as well. GM is probably the one that can iron this out.

Bill
I've never had to deal with a non-GM warranty, but I would agree with Bill. I'd try to escalate within Vehicle One and see if they can help sort through this, as they're the ones who have already paid both dealerships. It's within their interest to make sure repairs are done properly and that you're a satisfied customer.

By the way, from your #11 post, seems that you went back to Champion a second time to have the driveshaft leaks fixed. Do you know if they billed Vehicle One a second time?

Last edited by acrace; 07-24-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 PM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, the issue here is workmanship and not the aftermarket warranty. The claim of dealership 2 is that 1 workmanship is at fault. Even under basic coverage independent dealers may not honor other dealers work. I know this crap but nevertheless. Your issue is with dealer #1 and the quality of their work. Sounds like you need to apply some pressure to the service manager and getting the two managers to discuss the issue may help resolve it.... If not, you original repair order will have terms and conditions of the services provided and will have your avenue to pursue other action to include legal or arbitration
Good luck
Old 07-25-2012, 01:57 AM
AmitZ06
Pro

I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks a lot guys. My next move is to go back to dealer number 1 and talk to the supervisor. VehicleOne shouldn't be responsible, because they paid the first time. Its all on Chevrolet now, only because the parts that were fixed are all under warranty now.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer won't take responsibility? What should I do?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dealer won't take responsibility? What should I do?