Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clutch or Tranny Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:33 PM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Clutch or Tranny Problem?

Ok Guys I need some help here with my 2007 Z06. I've looked in the forum and I can't seem to find a solution. I've just owned the car for about 4 months and I have already fixed a host of issues with the car. Yesterday I drove the car on a 200 mile run and the car could not have run better, comfortable ride almost 25 mpg, awesome. Today I took the car out for a short drive and all hell breaks loose!

For starters about 5 miles from home I hear a not normal noise coming from the clutch area, Sounds like something small is loose and is rolling around in the bell housing. I'm halfway up the ramp on the interstate so I stop and decide to reverse the car and take it back home. This is when things start to turn critical mass bad. In reverse the car bucks and several times it stops like the rear dif has froze up.

So I push the clutch back in and try again. I get about 10 yards and the same thing happens. I try to put the car in first a go forward and its a tuff sell and I can barley get the car into first, When I let out on the clutch the car stalls. So I go back into reverse and limp backward until I can turn around.

After i manage this the car goes into first a moves forward, second gear no problem. Then as I go into third I get a low tire signal on the dash this goes on for about a mile then I get a service tire monitor light but I do manage to drive home with no other issues. To make matters worse when I do get the car home it won't let me out the door. I did notice when I turned the car off that the horn sounded 3times like what happens whe you leave the key in the car.

I really need some help here. I know that I have to take the car to the dealer, but it would be nice to know what it may be before I get there and get hammered for the fix.

Thanks for any positive responces

JwT

Last edited by JwT; 08-05-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:40 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

You may indeed have a mechanical problem with your transmission but the other issues sound like your battery may be going.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:22 PM
ZR-1 1991
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
You may indeed have a mechanical problem with your transmission but the other issues sound like your battery may be going.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Blueline
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im going with something let go in the clutch assembly.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

It seems, lately, there are plenty of earlier MY Z06s with issues offloaded by their previous owners. That is, if you didn't break it yourself, trying to get used to it

Did you get it from a dealer or a private seller? I wonder if they cover or check for anything when the car is part of a certified pre-owned program..

We've had similar issues with the transmission of our C5 Z06, which was revealed about a month after we bought it. We sent it to t56transmissions.com or something like that, and they made it better than new for $750; not bad

In the very very worst case, if your tranny is completely gone (which I doubt), a vendor was selling brand new TR6060 (Much better than your T56) transmissions that come with newer Z06s for $3500. Combined with a brand new OEM Z06 clutch ($428 as far as I remember), you'd have a buttery smooth powertrain.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Hey thanks for the responses. I did buy this car with miles on it 67000 to be exact. I don't know if the car has been abused. So I knew that things would have to be addressed. I bought the car from Exotic Motors out of chicago and of course it was (as is sale). I even paid a company $170.00 to check the car out but everyone knows how that goes.

I don't drive the car hard at all, in fact I may be driving it to easy. It's just hard to think that a car that drove really well without any shifting issues suddenly drops a tranny. Usually you have some warning signs, hard shifts, popping out of gear and such. That never happened. I do have access to a tremec 6 speed thats supposed to drop right in. Should I go ahead and pick the unit up?

Again thanks for the feedback

JwT
Old 08-05-2012, 08:03 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JwT
Hey thanks for the responses. I did buy this car with miles on it 67000 to be exact. I don't know if the car has been abused. So I knew that things would have to be addressed. I bought the car from Exotic Motors out of chicago and of course it was (as is sale). I even paid a company $170.00 to check the car out but everyone knows how that goes.

I don't drive the car hard at all, in fact I may be driving it to easy. It's just hard to think that a car that drove really well without any shifting issues suddenly drops a tranny. Usually you have some warning signs, hard shifts, popping out of gear and such. That never happened. I do have access to a tremec 6 speed thats supposed to drop right in. Should I go ahead and pick the unit up?

Again thanks for the feedback

JwT

No. I wouldn't. Check out the one you have. It might be something simple. Find a shop which KNOWS C6...Z06.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:41 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Hey thanks for the responce's. I don't really know any corvette shops here on the gulf coast. Should I try to stay away from a dealer? You know what really confuses me is the fact that it drove home with no issues....

JwT:
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Olddudesrule
Racer

I strongly agree with tim414. Slow down, and assess each issue one at a time. I also agree that you might have two separate issues, one either a bad slave cylinder, throwout bearing or clutch issue, and the other possibly a weak battery issue. Either way, take the time to have someone assess the symptoms before you start throwing cash at it.

FWIW, I've internet shopped for my "toys" for many years, and bought many. I've looked at a few from that company, but never pulled the trigger on one. They were usually higher mileage cars, which in and of itself isn't necessarily bad, but I like to get to know the actual owner if I'm gonna buy a car with that much mileage/time on it. I really believe these are great, reliable cars, but if you beat anything to death, it's gonna die.....my .02

Best of luck and keep your spirits up on the car!!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Hey thanks for the input Olddude. I've just had the car flatbedded to the dealership. No worries so far, I just hope the car is not a money pit. I did look around a good while for a Z06 and the prices were for the most part outrages. $45k was a basic price for any Z with under 50k miles on it so finding a car with a few miles and about 7 grand cheaper was the way to go for me. I knew that things would have to be replaced and P.M. items done. Of course after I bought the car and started fixing things I now realize I could've bought a newer car. But you don't know these things until your behind the drivers seat.

I almost backed out of the Z altogether after reading story after story about how bad the LS7 was. I mean I don't know anyone who can finance any kind of money for a car and then turn around and shuck out 10 grand for a blown motor.

For now I'll just fix the issues and hope they don't become a problem. I believe that when you worry too much about problems and costs with a car, it's time to get rid of it. Being close to 58 years old myself there's no plan to misuse or abuse my Z and maybe it will last long enough to enjoy.

JwT

Last edited by JwT; 08-06-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Olddudesrule
Racer

Yup, hopefully the problems you're having now will be minor. Once it's sorted out, just take good care of it, and enjoy it. My 07 is my second Z, the first was a used 03 w/ 20K miles on it. I knew going into this one that the previous owner had worked up a sweat in it, but he was also a very knowledgeable engineer, so when he said he worked on the car, I knew it was done right. Been extremely happy with the car so far. Hope you will be too..

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch or Tranny Problem?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch or Tranny Problem?