Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hoefi
Mike,

An agent? Meaning a hired "outsider" rather than someone from GM???
No, not an outsider, a GM employee.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Temporarily closed at OP's request.

Will re-open with a GM rep post.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Members,

GM will be posting this morning.

Please lay low until the statement is published here.

Thank you,

Mike
Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Hello all,

LS7 Valve guide issue summary:
• Affects a small, number of '08, 09 ’10 and ’11 Z06’s
• GM discovered the condition through our cylinder head warranty data involving a very small percentage of our vehicles.
• Through inspection of returned heads, it was determined that a machining error in the valve guide had occurred at our head supplier.
• The quality issue has been contained as of Feb 2011 with 100% inspection of all heads.
• The most common customer complaint has been excessive valve train noise.
However if the condition is not addressed, it could result in engine failure. To date, where this condition has been observed, it has occurred early in the vehicle life.
What customers need to know: They should drive and enjoy their vehicles without fear. If their car demonstrates this condition, they are likely to hear unusual valvetrain noise first. If you have a concern regarding this issue on your personal vehicle feel free to contact me through private message on this forum and we will work to assist in resolving your concern. Feel free to contact me through Socialmedia@gm.com please put attention Evan in the subject. As always, vehicles that have modifications to the powertrain or the calibrations, are no longer covered by GM's warranty.

Sincerely,
Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-11-2012, 11:15 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

So we know what causes it, we just dont know if/when our beloved LS7 will fail.

Nothing new to see here. Move along...
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello all,

• GM discovered the condition through our cylinder head warranty data involving a very small percentage of our vehicles.
• Through inspection of returned heads, it was determined that a machining error in the valve guide had occurred at our head supplier.
• The quality issue has been contained as of Feb 2011 with 100% inspection of all heads.
However if the condition is not addressed, it could result in engine failure. To date, where this condition has been observed, it has occurred early in the vehicle life.
What customers need to know: They should drive and enjoy their vehicles without fear. If their car demonstrates this condition, they are likely to hear unusual valvetrain noise first. If you have a concern regarding this issue on your personal vehicle feel free to contact me through private message on this forum and we will work to assist in resolving your concern. Feel free to contact me through Socialmedia@gm.com please put attention Evan in the subject. As always, vehicles that have modifications to the powertrain or the calibrations, are no longer covered by GM's warranty.

Sincerely,
What is GMs stance on excessive valve guide wear witnessed on '06 and '07 models? Can GM say with any certainty that the machining error did not affect those heads?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Hello all,

Sincerely,
What about those who do not drive their cars daily? (Ie the majority). How will they know their engine is bad? The ls7 is a noisy motor as is. I can hear tapping in my 2011 from 1600-2200 rpm yet everyone says its normal including the dealer.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Sorry but I am underwhelmed by the GM response. I can only assume that those with 06-07s with guide failure and/or windowed blocks were statistically insignificant.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

QC issue with the supplier. Just as I suspected.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
What about those who do not drive their cars daily? (Ie the majority). How will they know their engine is bad? The ls7 is a noisy motor as is. I can hear tapping in my 2011 from 1600-2200 rpm yet everyone says its normal including the dealer.
Mine has always (at least as long as I remember) made that same tapping sound in that rpm band.

32k miles on my 09'.

It would be great if GM could give a better description other than a noisy valvetrain, as these motors seem to all have valve train noise. A "noisy valvetrain" is subjective, and depends on how good your hearing is.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 AM
RFE-57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Echoing Chalky's response..............pre '08's totally clear of anomalies??????????
Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by RFE-57
Echoing Chalky's response..............pre '08's totally clear of anomalies??????????
They are out of warranty, therefore they are irrelevant.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Hello all,

Sincerely,

Is there any way to narrow down if you have a vehicle that could be affected other than listen to an already noisy valve train? That is quite a big time line.

If you have had your engine and or heads replaced recently is it safe to say that the problem is gone and even if you own a 2008-09-10? Have new long blocks been inspected or still an older batch that wasnt?

Are vehicles that are out of their current powertain warranty out of luck if the vehicle fails or will it be covered under some type of extended coverage? Your post admits fault and blame on GM's part for all those years. I cant see how GM could not accept a full warranty replacement in or out of warranty.

Last edited by propain; 10-11-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Does GM plan on repairing engines on cars that are out of warranty?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Roush
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Where do I sign up for the extended warranty?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Also, is there a TSB on this yet?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Another question: how are the 06s and 07s not affected but the 08s are?

Get notified of new replies

To GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello all,

Sincerely,
What constitutes excessive or unusual valve train noise? My 07 has been making (what I consider to be) a ticking noise since the first day I got it.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 PM
9c1ny
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

same questions as some others, what will GM do about warranty?
are there any specific production dates effected in regards to 2008?
As others have said LS7s seem to be noisy engines, how is one to know what is normal and what is not???????
Old 10-11-2012, 12:32 PM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should we take them in to dealers and get our valve train nose documented?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed