Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] So here's an alternative to this valve whatever issue

Old 09-01-2012, 11:03 PM
speedmon
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default So here's an alternative to this valve whatever issue

I like my Z06, but this issue has me concerned about the reliability of the car and the potential $$ impact of what the issue can do.

I don’t mind paying for the headwork if someone is going to warranty it, but I hate chasing small vendors for warranty work, it’s usually more energy than it’s worth.

So I was wrappin to my dealer service guy today about this, who of course had never heard of this guide wearing, valve dropping issue. The issue seems to come down to the valve guide and/or the valve which is part of the cylinder head assembly. Doesn’t really matter which, but the drop can create a $15K issue and that’s what I want to avoid.

I got this idea from Katech’s website where they exclude outside supplied parts from warranty…..well GM doesn’t! They warranty their assemblies, whether it be their parts or supplier parts as they are the OEM.

With this in mind I asked the service guy if I bought two new OEM spec Z06 heads and had them install them would I get the 3yr/100mile warranty on those heads and associated components. He said ABSOLUTELY! Then I asked if the assembly broke (valve drop) would they replace it. He said if under the warranty period ABSOLUTELY! Then I asked if the valve dropped and blew a hole in the block would they fix that? He said if they determined that the damage was caused by the part under warranty they would fix the damage……..That’s what I’m looking for...product commitment.

New LS7 stock heads fully loaded are around $1K each. Sure it has the infamous hollow valves but I don’t care, it just has to make reliable power. He said I could buy em anywhere just make sure I have the receipt showing they are new GM OEM parts.

He didn’t know if the same would hold true for the ported LS7 heads as they are not OEM spec (and flipping expensive) but he would check on Monday.

So there’s an alternative….it’s not free but if I have to give someone $4K, I would like a warranty please.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:13 PM
AduB794
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get it in writing. I've never heard of this.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Usually repairs (and replacing the heads would probably be interpreted as a repair) get a 12 month/12K mile warranty not a 3 year warranty.

Bill
Old 09-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

speedmon, that's an interesting alternative ...

Maybe an equally good alternative is to buy some good hooch and drink it till you're not worried anymore about valves dropping. It usually takes me about 1/4 to 1/3 the way through the bottle ...
Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

And I don't think LS7 heads are just $1k, especially new.

I think you're looking at least 2x that.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 789 Likes on 533 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Search Results of Available Items
*Prices are Per Unit

Page 1: 1-1 of 1 items

12578449 - HEAD

GM PART # 12578449
CATEGORY: Engine Cylinder Head
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00

Complete LS7 Head, brand new, GM

List Price: $1,850.83
Price: $1,510.27
You Save: $340.56 (18%)
Old 09-02-2012, 12:54 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
And I don't think LS7 heads are just $1k, especially new.

I think you're looking at least 2x that.
Close to it. The bare castings go for a little over a grand apiece.

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
Search Results of Available Items
*Prices are Per Unit

Page 1: 1-1 of 1 items

12578449 - HEAD

GM PART # 12578449
CATEGORY: Engine Cylinder Head
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00

Complete LS7 Head, brand new, GM

List Price: $1,850.83
Price: $1,510.27
You Save: $340.56 (18%)
Yep.

But take a look at what happens when you "Check Out".

Check Out > Sign In > Address > Pay > Confirm

GM
Part # Category Description Pack Qty Unit Price Quantity Total Qty Ordered Ext.
Price YOU
SAVE Core Charge TOTAL
*12578449 Engine Cylinder Head HEAD 1 $1,510.27 2 $3,020.54 $681.12 $0.00 $3,020.54
Shipping & Processing & Handling:
$800.44

Your Total Charges: $3,820.98

My stock heads will be going up for sale at a fraction of that price.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Close to it. The bare castings go for a little over a grand apiece.

Yep.

But take a look at what happens when you "Check Out".

Check Out > Sign In > Address > Pay > Confirm

GM
Part # Category Description Pack Qty Unit Price Quantity Total Qty Ordered Ext.
Price YOU
SAVE Core Charge TOTAL
*12578449 Engine Cylinder Head HEAD 1 $1,510.27 2 $3,020.54 $681.12 $0.00 $3,020.54
Shipping & Processing & Handling:
$800.44

Your Total Charges: $3,820.98

My stock heads will be going up for sale at a fraction of that price.

Don't agree, one does not have to have them shipped...there are many local Chevrolet dealers that will sell them at the discounted price.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:38 AM
speedmon
Racer

Well...the CNC ported ones are $1580 from GMPP with free shipping.
and I saw a better price as well on a stock one from another dealer. Lots of dealers have private lable websites.
He said the CNC ones only have a 2yr/50.
http://www.superchevyperformance.com...p/12578449.htm
So the stock ones should be less.
I'll be shopping around in the next few months...you can find good prices if you hunt. I just got a set of new F1G2s for $1500 delivered......$2100 at tirerack....weird looking tread design.....but they're lighter, I could tell when I picked it up.

I don't know about the 12 months 12000m repair thing.
3yr/100m on OEM assemblies...thats what the man said. And yes of course I'm the "get it in writing" kinda guy.

I bought a new 5.3L engine for my sisters Tahoe (don't ask why)
3yr/100m on OEM assemblies......I have a warranty card.
...its transferrable too. Of course those never break....except when your sister drives 80K miles between oil changes.

My Z06 is still in warranty for a few more months but I need to have a plan. And I'd like it to be comprehesive and not "sure I can do that work", but "sorry no warranty". What is that?

I'd prefer not to work on this....but I really like the car.
Think positive!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:28 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Don't agree, one does not have to have them shipped...there are many local Chevrolet dealers that will sell them at the discounted price.
One does not have to have them shipped????

No, you're right, one doesn't, if one of their local dealers will sell them at the discounted price.

But if one has no such local dealer, then one will indeed have to pay to have them shipped. Or go and pick them up.

Now of course it won't cost $800.00 to have them "shipped, processed and handled", but, if you don't have them shipped, there is still the sales tax.

$3,160.00 + 7% sales tax around here, more or less depending upon where you live, would put you at $221.20 in sales tax in this area, so call it $3381.20
Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by speedmon
Well...the CNC ported ones are $1580 from GMPP with free shipping.
and I saw a better price as well on a stock one from another dealer. Lots of dealers have private lable websites.
He said the CNC ones only have a 2yr/50.
http://www.superchevyperformance.com...p/12578449.htm
So the stock ones should be less.
I'll be shopping around in the next few months...you can find good prices if you hunt. I just got a set of new F1G2s for $1500 delivered......$2100 at tirerack....weird looking tread design.....but they're lighter, I could tell when I picked it up.

3yr/100m on OEM assemblies...thats what the man said. And yes of course I'm the "get it in writing" kinda guy.

...its transferrable too. Of course those never break....except when your sister drives 80K miles between oil changes.

My Z06 is still in warranty for a few more months but I need to have a plan. And I'd like it to be comprehesive and not "sure I can do that work", but "sorry no warranty". What is that?

I'd prefer not to work on this....but I really like the car.
Think positive!
Think about it. If they replace your cam right now with a stock one, would you get another 3 years on your motor, and if the cam failed 35 months up the road, would you get a new motor?

How about if you went in there and paid them to put another stock cam into your car, for reasons of your own, same as you are about to do for these heads.

If the engine failed 35 months from now after they did that cam, do you think they would give you a new motor?

If they are going to go that route, then you could have a new stock cam installed near the end of your GM manufacturer's warranty, get 3 more years on the motor, then near the end of that 3 years, go ahead and have your stock heads installed at the dealership and get 3 more years.

If you played it right, you could get nearly 11 years of warranty out of the same motor for nothing more than the price of a cam at one point, and a set of heads at another.

They give you 12 months on a replacement engine if they replace it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1578791258

But if you buy your own engine, then it's 3 years on the engine, but I don't know if that includes the labor to install the one they would replace, should the one you bought fail, or if it would just cover the cost of the engine.

I'm not seeing how a new set of stock heads gets you anything unless you have less than 12 months warranty left. Unless they are going to give you 3 years on them.

But I can just see it: "Sir, the cylinder head failed. Here is your money for the cylinder head. But your engine is long since out of warranty. The dealership that fed you that line of BS about your motor being covered for an additional 3 years with the purchase of a new set of heads, has been sold and is under new ownership, and they had nothing to do with your agreement."

Better than 3 grand, plus the dealers labor to put them on so as to insure against a warranty hassle if someone else were to put them on, and then you only get 3 years tops for your trouble, and possibly just one year.

Yes, it's have a tough decision you have, no doubt, but it's probably better to try and address this issue once and for all.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-02-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:57 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

8.25% here (tax)
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 08Z. Bought new, only has 4,400 miles on it, bone stock. When I am out of warranty, next year, I will be going with either Mast or Brodix heads...
Old 09-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

One does not have to have them shipped????

No, you're right, one doesn't, if one of their local dealers will sell them at the discounted price.

But if one has no such local dealer, then one will indeed have to pay to have them shipped. Or go and pick them up.

Now of course it won't cost $800.00 to have them "shipped, processed and handled", but, if you don't have them shipped, there is still the sales tax.

$3,160.00 + 7% sales tax around here, more or less depending upon where you live, would put you at $221.20 in sales tax in this area, so call it $3381.20
My only point was/is, that they are not $4000 per pair plus tax, ship, etc.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

My only point was/is, that they are not $4000 per pair plus tax, ship, etc.

Agreed.

They can be had for less than that.

But the biggest question to all of this is it worth the effort?

Like I say above, let's say one goes in near the very end of their 5yr/100K mile warranty and pays the dealership to install another stock cam into their car at their expense. Even though there is nothing wrong with the cam already in the car, they just want a new stock cam.

If that new cam fails and takes the engine with it, 35 months later, do they get a new motor?

And if that is the case, then why not wait until you have a month left on the GM 5yr/100K mile factory warranty, pay to have a stock cam installed, even though there is nothing wrong with the one already in the car, and then 35 months after that, have them install another set of stock heads, and get another 36 months worth of warranty, since the heads have 36 months on them too?

And then after that, have them replace the second cam with a third cam and simply repeat this process.

The bottom line is, I don't believe it works this way, that if you buy a new set of heads that you get a new 36 months on your entire motor if one of the heads fails and takes the motor with it.

GM would be fools to allow that.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Agreed.

They can be had for less than that.

But the biggest question to all of this is it worth the effort?

Like I say above, let's say one goes in near the very end of their 5yr/100K mile warranty and pays the dealership to install another stock cam into their car at their expense. Even though there is nothing wrong with the cam already in the car, they just want a new stock cam.

If that new cam fails and takes the engine with it, 35 months later, do they get a new motor?

And if that is the case, then why not wait until you have a month left on the GM 5yr/100K mile factory warranty, pay to have a stock cam installed, even though there is nothing wrong with the one already in the car, and then 35 months after that, have them install another set of stock heads, and get another 36 months worth of warranty, since the heads have 36 months on them too?

And then after that, have them replace the second cam with a third cam and simply repeat this process.

The bottom line is, I don't believe it works this way, that if you buy a new set of heads that you get a new 36 months on your entire motor if one of the heads fails and takes the motor with it.

GM would be fools to allow that.
Don't like the idea at all. Primarily b/c GM won't give you a new engine if the new stock LS7 heads have a major failure, even dropping of a valve that takes out your entire engine, that is not warrantied (the car itself).

Way better idea is getting some proven aftermarket heads that flow better, have a proven track record, and will make more power (than stockers) matched up to a nice street or street/strip cam.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:41 PM
AduB794
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Don't like the idea at all. Primarily b/c GM won't give you a new engine if the new stock LS7 heads have a major failure, even dropping of a valve that takes out your entire engine, that is not warrantied (the car itself).

Way better idea is getting some proven aftermarket heads that flow better, have a proven track record, and will make more power (than stockers) matched up to a nice street or street/strip cam.
Pretty much what I said in the other thread Jimmy. You cant lose if you remove the problem completely out of the equation.

Get notified of new replies

To So here's an alternative to this valve whatever issue

Old 09-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Compared to an engine the heads aren't a complete assembly. A new crate engine purchased from GM will come with a longer warranty but you aren't getting an engine just the heads.

Bill
Old 09-02-2012, 02:11 PM
speedmon
Racer

.....OK how about this then if I don't mind keeping the car stock cuz its pretty fast stock.

The finance guy at the dealership said I can buy a CNA National extended warranty for $3,300that covers everything.....$100.00 deductible 48 months 48K miles. He said all GM dealerships sell and honor them. Covers everything. He said he's been selling them for 15 years and never had an issue. Transferrable or cancellable (prorated) if I sell the car.

So far thats the cheapest, most comprehensive solution.

Any experience with those policies from CNA?

Last edited by speedmon; 09-02-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

.....OK how about this then if I don't mind keeping the car stock cuz its pretty fast stock.

The finance guy at the dealership said I can buy a CNA National extended warranty for $3,300that covers everything.....$100.00 deductible 48 months 48K miles. He said all GM dealerships sell and honor them. Covers everything. He said he's been selling them for 15 years and never had an issue. Transferrable or cancellable (prorated) if I sell the car.

So far thats the cheapest, most comprehensive solution.

Any experience with those policies from CNA?
Start calling the other local dealerships in your area and see if they:

1. Ever even heard of it.

2. Honor it without you paying with your credit card for any repairs up front.

If you should have a mishap, and end up, for whatever reason having to take it to one of the dealerships other than the one you bought the warranty from, then you need to know that those other dealerships are going to honor your warranty, and without saying, "Yes, we'll honor it, but give us your credit card numbers first."

Also do some research on the internet and see how good CNA is about covering major warranty items on other vehicles, not just Vettes, but especially Vettes, in the past.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] So here's an alternative to this valve whatever issue