Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How many guys are NOT having guid issues or worries

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM
londonk
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default How many guys are NOT having guid issues or worries

Like the title says .... who's happy, who has mods and does not have issues. I'm not talking about 10 k miles or 17k all miles over 25k come in and let us know how your car is doing. Whats the real story..... I'm seeing some LS7 bashers on here who won't let up... how many of you guys have real hard miles on your sh*t. I bought this car to drive a little ya know!!! OK OK enough ranting I bought Random84 s car last about ten days ago. Its an 08 AOM with 23k miles. long tubes and CIA. we looked at the guides and they are all with in spec!!!!!not one single problem... I know this may be hard for some of you believe...so lets hear all the good stuff about this great engine
Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

You sure you didn't have a few valve guides .0003 of an inch (1/10th of a cont hair) out of tolerance...

Congrats on a well made LS7, enjoy it.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by londonk
Like the title says .... who's happy, who has mods and does not have issues. I'm not talking about 10 k miles or 17k all miles over 25k come in and let us know how your car is doing. Whats the real story..... I'm seeing some LS7 bashers on here who won't let up... how many of you guys have real hard miles on your sh*t. I bought this car to drive a little ya know!!! OK OK enough ranting I bought Random84 s car last about ten days ago. Its an 08 AOM with 23k miles. long tubes and CIA. we looked at the guides and they are all with in spec!!!!!not one single problem... I know this may be hard for some of you believe...so lets hear all the good stuff about this great engine

Out of curiosity, I took a look at your thread.

So you're looking for owners of MODDED Z06s with over 25,000 miles?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Problem is pretty much everyone ends up finding out the hard way. When I.sent my heads off to RPM they were in pretty bad shape...w 16k miles. Who knows how long they would.have been.fine. Couod.have been 100 miles or 10000 miles.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

So you pulled the heads and they were fine? That is rare. Did you atleast get them freshed or did you just get new gaskets and put them back on?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

I will let gm worry about my ls7 for the next 3 years 60k miles
Old 09-26-2012, 10:49 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Well I'm at 78k with a monster LG7xx cam with stock guides/valves and it's been perfectly fine.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 PM
SSSUPRA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all over the place with this issue, some people have no issues for 70 or 80k or more and some grenade at 10k. The answer is it's fine until it isn't.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:29 PM
FRDnemesis
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by londonk
so lets hear all the good stuff about this great engine
Heck yeah! Where should we start?
wiped out camshafts
failed rocker arms
exhaust valves
valve guides

pick one and we'll chat

I think everyone has come to the realization that nobody knows if thier cylinder heads are within spec or not until they remove them to have them checked and having said that not everyone is willing to do that. Until then, it is pure speculation if they are good or bad.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Why do people continue to associate valve guides wearing out too soon and bashing the LS7? Its one part on the car that needs to be addressed, no one is bashing the car. Every car made today and throughout history has at least one or more issues. Why do you thinks aftermarket companies have exploded over the last ten years, guys want to improve or fix the weak links in their cars.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:24 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

35k stock...checked my guides on right side in less than 30 minutes...nothing for me to do right now ...gonna check in another 10k...mainly street use ....but i am on a track quite often and i run my z HARD....[ sometimes abused]...my ls7 is excellent!

in the other thread i haven't seen very many " repaired" heads with any kind of miles on them....

if and when my heads need service i am going to use factory parts...they work very well for me
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 AM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I love my car and it's modded. the guides and valves were trashed at 55000 miles. repairs were done and I am enjoying my car more than ever.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 AM
londonk
Pro

Thanks guys keep em coming ......I'm looking for any kind of mods or stock. I'm just wanting to see miles and real use on your cars. I know it's hard to say if the guides are out of spec whith out pulling the heads but an engine with bad guides still has tell tail issues...I pulled my heads ....I just had to know what all this $hit is about...I understand all designs have problems but you would think that GM would nip this in the bud after two years if a lot of cars were having major failure some 06 and 07 cars I could see ......but moving forward and seeing 08,09,10 cars having problems is kinda hard to swallow... I'm hearing that 06 may be one of the less problematic years.. I don't know, let's keep it coming
Thanks for your time
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 AM
londonk
Pro

Originally Posted by RFZ
35k stock...checked my guides on right side in less than 30 minutes...nothing for me to do right now ...gonna check in another 10k...mainly street use ....but i am on a track quite often and i run my z HARD....[ sometimes abused]...my ls7 is excellent!

in the other thread i haven't seen very many " repaired" heads with any kind of miles on them....

if and when my heads need service i am going to use factory parts...they work very well for me
How are you checking your guides that way... Thanks for your imput
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine were perfectly in spec at 20,000 miles, 16,000 of which had a cam and mods. I still went with bronze guides and all new OEM exhaust valves/Katech Ti mo intake valves. Cheap maintenance if it lasts 20-30k hard miles at 546 rwhp if you ask me.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 AM
londonk
Pro

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
Mine were perfectly in spec at 20,000 miles, 16,000 of which had a cam and mods. I still went with bronze guides and all new OEM exhaust valves/Katech Ti mo intake valves. Cheap maintenance if it lasts 20-30k hard miles at 546 rwhp if you ask me.

I agree .. That's my next move I spoke w Jason and I'm pulling the trigger on the stage 2 deal in about two weeks ..

Get notified of new replies

To How many guys are NOT having guid issues or worries

Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM
FRDnemesis
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vertC6
Why do people continue to associate valve guides wearing out too soon and bashing the LS7? Its one part on the car that needs to be addressed, no one is bashing the car. Every car made today and throughout history has at least one or more issues. Why do you thinks aftermarket companies have exploded over the last ten years, guys want to improve or fix the weak links in their cars.

oh, I'm not bashing the car or the engine! I think the car is an absolute piece of Corvette history and Hall of Fame worthy right out of the factory. Hydroformed aluminum frame, use of carbon fiber and light weight composites, large cubic inch all-aluminum beast finished off with (at the time of release) the best factory brake system in Corvette history! I strongly feel the same way about the engine but make no mistake, it is the breeder of this beast that is the problem.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
So you pulled the heads and they were fine? That is rare. Did you atleast get them freshed or did you just get new gaskets and put them back on?
My understanding is that he pulled the heads A: because he reads the forum and B: because he's getting ready for some power upgrades (and head work).

I think we definitely see skewed results from people pulling their heads because of symptoms (smoke, oil consumption, etc) or because of planned modificiations (want to make sure the heads can take a big cam; or significant tracking, etc); but because of the forum we're going to see more and more people pull the heads "just to see" in the future, kind of like Quick did - so hopefully we'll get a better idea of how extensive the guide wear is.

Anyway, I'm glad to see my old car wasn't going to be a curse on someone else (it was great for me). I keep parusing the for sale sections here and on other sites: I am really surprised at how many 3+ owner cars there are out there with 20K miles or less.

How many thousands of Z owners will never check their heads because the car is under warranty, certified, or "new" to them? And those that do check - and find everything within spec - may not be as motivated to post their findings on the internet as someone upset over a low mileage car with guide wear would be?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:58 AM
andy82
Safety Car

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

42K and happy

Quick Reply: [Z06] How many guys are NOT having guid issues or worries