Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] For all you Z06 guys curious how to keep up with a ZR1…

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default For all you Z06 guys curious how to keep up with a ZR1…

I got a few videos from the Texas Invitational last weekend. The event was an absolute blast! We were reaching trap speeds a little higher than you’d get at the drag strip (150-155) since it was a roll race, which was also a positive since we weren’t shocking the clutch and drivetrain near as hard from a stand-still launch. Now lots of folks speculate about NA power vs forced induction. Based on the results I think this serves as pretty good proof that a strong NA LS7 can be a force to be reckoned with when it comes higher HP vehicles by comparison.
To give you an idea of what my build entails, I’m on the stock bottom end, mamba cam, 12:1 WCCH LS7 heads, headers, cats, stock ported intake and TB, and a wet 100shot. This combo gives me 575 on motor and 700 on nitrous. I may have made a little less that day given the heat. Also, rolling on my 20’s with Toyo T1R’s, not a drag radial. My opponents were running MT’s or Hoosiers.
I forgot to turn on my gopro with this race so this is the view from the side lines, but we had an even hit and I pulled this car the whole run. This is LG’s build that dyno’d 752/768, big numbers.

This is Lethal’s Badass ZR1 that makes 760whp and run’s high 9’s in the ¼. Now he beat me on this run, however we launched at 72 instead of the normal 60, which caused me to spin like crazy in 2nd, then short shift, then it was all over. Drag radials will be going on next time!

inside camera view

Now just for comparison, this was C5Z with an LS3 swap making 820ish through a novi2000. This car beat the Lethal ZR1 in a later race. So you get the idea, if you’re looking for ZR1 speed, a moded Z06 will get you there.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:42 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:45 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Old 10-18-2012, 05:51 PM
ghoust
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like great fun!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting concept.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 PM
tx_zo6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by screaminchevy
I got a few videos from the Texas Invitational last weekend. The event was an absolute blast! We were reaching trap speeds a little higher than you’d get at the drag strip (150-155) since it was a roll race, which was also a positive since we weren’t shocking the clutch and drivetrain near as hard from a stand-still launch. Now lots of folks speculate about NA power vs forced induction. Based on the results I think this serves as pretty good proof that a strong NA LS7 can be a force to be reckoned with when it comes higher HP vehicles by comparison.
To give you an idea of what my build entails, I’m on the stock bottom end, mamba cam, 12:1 WCCH LS7 heads, headers, cats, stock ported intake and TB, and a wet 100shot. This combo gives me 575 on motor and 700 on nitrous. I may have made a little less that day given the heat. Also, rolling on my 20’s with Toyo T1R’s, not a drag radial. My opponents were running MT’s or Hoosiers.
I forgot to turn on my gopro with this race so this is the view from the side lines, but we had an even hit and I pulled this car the whole run. This is LG’s build that dyno’d 752/768, big numbers.

This is Lethal’s Badass ZR1 that makes 760whp and run’s high 9’s in the ¼. Now he beat me on this run, however we launched at 72 instead of the normal 60, which caused me to spin like crazy in 2nd, then short shift, then it was all over. Drag radials will be going on next time!

inside camera view

Now just for comparison, this was C5Z with an LS3 swap making 820ish through a novi2000. This car beat the Lethal ZR1 in a later race. So you get the idea, if you’re looking for ZR1 speed, a moded Z06 will get you there.

Just an FYI- the other C5z with the Novi is also Lethal car. Danny missed a gear in that run and could not catch up to Ty.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Originally Posted by tx_zo6
Just an FYI- the other C5z with the Novi is also Lethal car. Danny missed a gear in that run and could not catch up to Ty.
So Danny said! There was some friendly trash talk afterwards, he and Ty are going to have to line back up again to know for sure, which will be soon. They're both very fast cars. Danny's ZR1 is about as good as it gets!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 PM
VCUFAN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, they all sound amazing. Looks like quite a bit of fun.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:40 PM
lethal zo6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Yep

So Danny said! There was some friendly trash talk afterwards, he and Ty are going to have to line back up again to know for sure, which will be soon. They're both very fast cars. Danny's ZR1 is about as good as it gets!
I missed 3rd gear right after the hit against Ty. Shoved it back into 3rd, and it sputtered not being able to recover fast enough.We were messing with each other afterwards because it is all in good fun. We built Ty's car too. That zr1 was pulling away from that zo6 pretty hard tho. Nice car and good run!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

inside camera view

Um.......................What happens when the road has TURNS
Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Originally Posted by lethal zo6
I missed 3rd gear right after the hit against Ty. Shoved it back into 3rd, and it sputtered not being able to recover fast enough.We were messing with each other afterwards because it is all in good fun. We built Ty's car too. That zr1 was pulling away from that zo6 pretty hard tho. Nice car and good run!
Thanks, you guys build some great cars! Ty told me that you're pretty quick on the shifts. i'm looking forward to seeing a rematch!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 10-19-2012, 06:54 AM
londonk
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That zr1 was pulling hard.. i have had a newer Z06 with similar mods as yours and they are fast, but an NA car big inches or not is going to have a tough time running with a FI car plain and simple. Yes its true a built Z06 can hang with a stock or stockish ZR1 I'm back to NA for now because i would like some extra reliability.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:40 AM
venomws7
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Great runs thanks for sharing the vids..
badass cars all of them too.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Michael ZR1
Burning Brakes

For the record you know I lost the slave cylinder on our run so I never got into 4 gear. Took all night friday to replace it. And as far as pulling look at the still photos and you were behind till the clutch went out. If you want to tell a story at least tell it right. You did beat me to the finish line but thats about all thats true in your story

Last edited by Michael ZR1; 10-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:07 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Kills ...ZR1 had nothing on you ///
Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

you've got to be kidding me. So you’re really going to lie about this because LG has their panties in a twist? Bobby already PM’d me trying to say there was a throttle body issue. I have no doubt he messaged you about this. You know, I thought Underground Racing was bad with their poor sportsmanship and excuses from getting beat by the LMR vette, but this classless. LG, I would expect better out of you than to get bent out of shape about something this trivial, it’s a freakin roll race for God’s sake. If you’re that concerned about your reputation from losing a meaningless grudge race then 1) take your stickers off the car 2) get a better driver 3) build a car that doesn’t break two days in a row.

Mike, we were pacing dead even, I pulled you as soon as we hit and ALL the way through third. And this was SATURDAY. Not Friday and not Sunday. I seriously regret not having my Gopro on for that run now so this whole discussion could have been eliminated. But I still have proof. I have proof of our traps speeds being very close to one another across the line, which will prove what gear you in. And I also have proof from still photos of the entire run to show that I pulled you from the start. NOT as a result of no 4th gear. The only thing that’s not true about any of this is that the traps were about 12mph off that morning so our speed was more like 155mph

Just sit tight. I’ll be uploading them shortly.

Get notified of new replies

To For all you Z06 guys curious how to keep up with a ZR1…

Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Michael ZR1
Burning Brakes

Not worth the effort

Last edited by Michael ZR1; 10-19-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

This was right at the hit. notice we're dead even, rear end squating down.

This is grapping 3rd gear, notice i'm pulling away slightly.

And this is me gone. oh wait, i think i see the shadow of your front splitter way on the left there.

And here's the traps. Liars. both of you.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:14 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael ZR1
Not worth the effort
Your right , looks/sounds like your pretty butt hurt about it ...LMAO , excuses on roll racing...

Quick Reply: [Z06] For all you Z06 guys curious how to keep up with a ZR1…