Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Disabled OnStar, but I want to remove the VCIM Module completely

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disabled OnStar, but I want to remove the VCIM Module completely

I've disabled my onstar in my '08 Z06 (disconnected plugs J1, J2, and J3), but I'd like to remove the entire VCIM module altogether (especially since in serves no purpose now). The problem is that I still need to leave the J4 plug (the one with the 4 brown wires) installed to keep the car working. Does anyone know of the cleanest way I can do this? Is there some shorting/resistor plug I can buy that will connect the wires properly so that the car will not go crazy when I can disconnect J4 and remove the VCIM altogether? If I get rid of this thing I will be able to mount a racing seat a good inch or so lower on the passenger side, and save a little weight as well.

BTW I followed the instructions outlined here: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...onstar&page=10

P.S. I might as well also delete the black box antenna on the windshield, but it doesn't seem to want to come off. Is there some trick to this, or is it glued in place?

Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 11-21-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

You need to loop the high speed and low speed LAN wires together as described in post #140. Not that I've tested it with OnStar, but theoretically that would be the way to do it.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 11-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Hey Jason,

Yeah I noticed that bit... so no resistor is needed, correct? It's a just a straight short and I should be good to go? If so, how do you recommend doing this, just stuffing a couple wires in there and hoping they stay in? Is there a female plug I can buy and short through there? I'd prefer not to remove the wires from the plug itself (and I definitely don't want to permanently cut any wires), but maybe that would be best?
Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
Hey Jason,

Yeah I noticed that bit... so no resistor is needed, correct? It's a just a straight short and I should be good to go? If so, how do you recommend doing this, just stuffing a couple wires in there and hoping they stay in? Is there a female plug I can buy and short through there? I'd prefer not to remove the wires from the plug itself (and I definitely don't want to permanently cut any wires), but maybe that would be best?
No resistor. Adding resistance to GMLAN wires is bad. The right way to do it is to cut them, solder together and heat shrink.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Well, I think I'm going to go for it then. Probably this weekend. And FYI I'm way ahead of you on the other weight savings, not only have I deleted that plastic covers on the engine, but I've removed the interior carpeting, the plastic paneling, the A/C, and I think I'll get around to pulling out the speakers soon. Just didn't seem right have a non-functional metal box sitting where the passenger seat was, what with all the extra attention to weight reduction going on.

I'd like to get this car down to under 2800 lbs on an empty tank.

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
Here you go Hercules; I've not had the guts to short those 4 wires on my '12 GS 1LT, but I soon plan to & I'm @ 100% certain it will work based on this write up alone.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...tar-nanny.html

I also removed my Onstar antenna & tucked the wire up under the headliner; the black box slips off easily to the right, then I used a 2" flat blade paint scraper, with electrical tape over the end to protect the windshield, & slowly, gently, pried off the mounting plate. It only took a few minutes & be careful.

Now I was able to mount my V1 radar detector there, & a single piece of heavy-duty clear mylar packing tape (USPS) over the black under-windshield coating, gives the V1's suction cups enough stick. I have power going to it with a 15" Mirrortap wire for the V1.

If you want to remove your XM module, it's mounted on a plastic holder on top of the rear driver's-side wheel well, easily removed by pulling back the carpet, disconnecting it & popping the 4 plastic clips. My 1LT radio now shows FM1/FM2/AM only, no XM bands.

You can also siphon about 1.5 gals of washer fluid out of you want to save more weight...and remove the plastic fuel rail covers...and the plastic insulated intake manifold cover...and....

Old 11-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

You sir, do not mess around.

I assume you've scoped out Zip's 2-pc Coleman rotors which are also a nice weight savings? I also removed my 1 lb. sun visors, but only b/c they obstructed my top-down view.

Have you done a lightweight battery or any other items?...& if you figure out how to delete that giant center-rear view mirror please do tell...that things right in my line of sight too.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 PM
neilvosko
Racer

this worked like a charm.

i also added a zip tie to fasten the wires and make sure they dont pop out on track and for added safety used a 3M t-tap to clamp the wires together.

thanks all.

Originally Posted by Bedouin
Here you go Hercules; I've not had the guts to short those 4 wires on my '12 GS 1LT, but I soon plan to & I'm @ 100% certain it will work based on this write up alone.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...tar-nanny.html

I also removed my Onstar antenna & tucked the wire up under the headliner; the black box slips off easily to the right, then I used a 2" flat blade paint scraper, with electrical tape over the end to protect the windshield, & slowly, gently, pried off the mounting plate. It only took a few minutes & be careful.

Now I was able to mount my V1 radar detector there, & a single piece of heavy-duty clear mylar packing tape (USPS) over the black under-windshield coating, gives the V1's suction cups enough stick. I have power going to it with a 15" Mirrortap wire for the V1.

If you want to remove your XM module, it's mounted on a plastic holder on top of the rear driver's-side wheel well, easily removed by pulling back the carpet, disconnecting it & popping the 4 plastic clips. My 1LT radio now shows FM1/FM2/AM only, no XM bands.

You can also siphon about 1.5 gals of washer fluid out of you want to save more weight...and remove the plastic fuel rail covers...and the plastic insulated intake manifold cover...and....

Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 PM
neilvosko
Racer

i will be removing the onstar module next
Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 PM
neilvosko
Racer

gotta get rid of the XM module as well.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 PM
neilvosko
Racer

I tried just shorting the wires with the 3M taps, but didnt work

so i went ahead and bend the paper clips and shorted the wires.

used a zip tie to secure in place......worked like a charm.. hopefully you can see the removed XM module in pictures.... i have it for sale now.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 PM
neilvosko
Racer

Default final

Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 PM
neilvosko
Racer

Onstar module removed, you can see the space to right of battery
Old 07-13-2013, 11:42 AM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Does your Bluetooth still work?

Get notified of new replies

To Disabled OnStar, but I want to remove the VCIM Module completely

Quick Reply: [Z06] Disabled OnStar, but I want to remove the VCIM Module completely