Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Vehicle One Warranty for LS7 valve train issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:35 PM
x86guru
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vehicle One Warranty for LS7 valve train issues?

Does anyone have any experience with the vehicle One warranty and Z06 LS7 valve train issues/failures?

I'm thinking about getting a Vehicle One warranty from Dennis for my 2008 Z06 to help ease my LS7 valve train concerns.

It appears like Vehicle One can deny any claim that does not provide detailed service records (eg: Oil change records every 6 months, etc.) I have no problems providing this going forward, but I certainty don't have receipts for past service so I'm wondering if that can be used to deny future claims.

Thanks,

Adrian
Old 11-23-2012, 03:42 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

I was/am in the SAME boat as you.

2008 Z06 -- only 22K miles on it (haven't had it on the road in 2 years due to finances -- that will change in about 2 months )

I emailed back and forth - and I was told by the forum VehicleOne guy (dennis? or Ken? i forget) that I had to add it on before the end of this year. Sadly I don't have the coin to drop a few K on the warranty if mine is still good still April of 2013.

I was on the fence because I too am mildly concerned about the valve issues. Considered the warranty vs using that cash on head work, new valves/rockers.

The DIY fix is about the same price (2000-3000 dollars) as the warranty. And even then its a total crap shoot on both sides!

I do all my own work maintenance wise and don't have records that far back for oil/filters/etc. Top it off with the fact even if you blew the cash on a warranty they could still take one look at your car and snub their nose while they ride off into the sunset counting your money.

see this thread about the VehicleOne warranty sale going on where I learned of the changeover for 2008s:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...anty-sale.html

After sorting through all the options I'm going to pocket my money, and spend some out of pocket to spruce up my heads/valves if needed. Warranty is nice and all that - but 3rd party? after market? With a 15K engine on the line I can see SO many ways they would try to weasel out of it. When I go home for christmas I will be doing some close inspection of my valves/springs/plugs for any of the signs. I've had zero issues with my Z06 since I bought it brand new. Nobody still knows for sure what's causing the problem. It's all probability in the end - I'd trust my own work and preventative care than the word of an aftermarket company any day.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:51 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I spent $3,200 on 4 years power train back in June. Ill be cashing out that scam piece of sh*t they call a warranty in the next month or two. Don't do it. There's no way in hell they will authorize a warranty repair of a blown LS7. They will take your money and never give it back. I found a needle bearing in my drain plug. I called to see what my options were. It boiled down to: bring it in, it's $900 to check. If a rocker is "broken" (they have a certain definition for that key word), then you will be covered otherwise you get the bill. $900 to pull the valve covers and move some rockers around. Bulllllshiiitttt.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:54 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

So I told the guy, "ok, we'll how about I drive the living **** out of the car and blow the motor because of a bad rocker arm that you won't comp. to check". Of course Ill be redoing my heads when it's time to cam the car. All with my warranty money.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by x86guru
Does anyone have any experience with the vehicle One warranty and Z06 LS7 valve train issues/failures?

I'm thinking about getting a Vehicle One warranty from Dennis for my 2008 Z06 to help ease my LS7 valve train concerns.

It appears like Vehicle One can deny any claim that does not provide detailed service records (eg: Oil change records every 6 months, etc.) I have no problems providing this going forward, but I certainty don't have receipts for past service so I'm wondering if that can be used to deny future claims.

Thanks,

Adrian
That is true of the factory warranty as well. You have to prove you have maintained the car properly. When I bought my Z06 I decided to let the local dealer change the oil and other fluid maintenance. Since oil changes are required at a minimum of once per year it doesn't cost that much to let them make the change, record the mileage and keep the record straight. When the engine failed last year there were no issues with the maintenance records.

Bill
Old 11-23-2012, 07:49 PM
x86guru
Burning Brakes

My 2008 Z06 only has 5700 miles. The CARFAX record shows there was an oil change 4/06/11 at 3400 miles and I'm going to change the oil in it before I put it away for the season.

It's unclear if they expect to see oil change records every 6 months, or every year, etc. I'll have two oil change records with less than 6K miles so I'm wondering if that is sufficient for future warranty work provided I keep oil change records every ~3k miles.

Adrian
Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by toxin440
I was/am in the SAME boat as you.

2008 Z06 -- only 22K miles on it (haven't had it on the road in 2 years due to finances -- that will change in about 2 months )

I emailed back and forth - and I was told by the forum VehicleOne guy (dennis? or Ken? i forget) that I had to add it on before the end of this year. Sadly I don't have the coin to drop a few K on the warranty if mine is still good still April of 2013.

I was on the fence because I too am mildly concerned about the valve issues. Considered the warranty vs using that cash on head work, new valves/rockers.

The DIY fix is about the same price (2000-3000 dollars) as the warranty. And even then its a total crap shoot on both sides!

I do all my own work maintenance wise and don't have records that far back for oil/filters/etc. Top it off with the fact even if you blew the cash on a warranty they could still take one look at your car and snub their nose while they ride off into the sunset counting your money.
Yep, you're right.

One more important difference.

You spend money on that warranty, and never have to use it before the time or mileage runs out, you don't get a cent of that money back.

If it cost $2,500.00, then unless you get $2,500.00 worth of warranty work done, then you're dollars behind.

Of course there is the peace of mind in having a warranty, if you are 100% certain that it is going to cover you in the event that you need it, and that is worth something.

But only you can decide how much it's worth.

Originally Posted by toxin440
see this thread about the VehicleOne warranty sale going on where I learned of the changeover for 2008s:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...anty-sale.html

After sorting through all the options I'm going to pocket my money, and spend some out of pocket to spruce up my heads/valves if needed. Warranty is nice and all that - but 3rd party? after market? With a 15K engine on the line I can see SO many ways they would try to weasel out of it. When I go home for christmas I will be doing some close inspection of my valves/springs/plugs for any of the signs. I've had zero issues with my Z06 since I bought it brand new. Nobody still knows for sure what's causing the problem. It's all probability in the end - I'd trust my own work and preventative care than the word of an aftermarket company any day.
Good luck.

The work you describe will last you the life of the car, and you will get enjoyment out of for as long as you own the car.

The warranty, OTOH, will run out at some point, and you might not ever use it.

I decided to address the valve issue on my own, so that I would not need a "warranty with an expiration date" on my motor. If anything else breaks, then I can fix it for less than what a warranty would have cost me anyway.

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I spent $3,200 on 4 years power train back in June. Ill be cashing out that scam piece of sh*t they call a warranty in the next month or two. Don't do it. There's no way in hell they will authorize a warranty repair of a blown LS7. They will take your money and never give it back. I found a needle bearing in my drain plug. I called to see what my options were. It boiled down to: bring it in, it's $900 to check. If a rocker is "broken" (they have a certain definition for that key word), then you will be covered otherwise you get the bill. $900 to pull the valve covers and move some rockers around. Bulllllshiiitttt.
I actually cashed mine out and put the money towards the head work.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That is true of the factory warranty as well. You have to prove you have maintained the car properly. When I bought my Z06 I decided to let the local dealer change the oil and other fluid maintenance. Since oil changes are required at a minimum of once per year it doesn't cost that much to let them make the change, record the mileage and keep the record straight. When the engine failed last year there were no issues with the maintenance records.

Bill
Another key point. This goes for your oil and all the rest of your fluids as well, and their change intervals.

I want to be able to change my oil, my transmission fluid, my differential fluid, to whatever I want, whenever I want, and without some warranty company dictating that to me, under potential penalty of not honoring my warranty.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-23-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vehicle One Warranty for LS7 valve train issues?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vehicle One Warranty for LS7 valve train issues?