Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Griffee
Now, you are being help. Where was this Quick three days ago? How many times have I asked for pictures from anyone who owns WCCH heads regarding the deburring? To no avail, to being ducked and dived around. When a question goes unanswered and ignored and cannot be supported assumptions will be made.

I am still not happy about his process, but can at least feel comfortable now that they aren't farmed out heads. Regardless I have another vendor who will be going through them to get the spring pressures, and give them look. I have no problem reporting his findings good or bad.
Well, Grifffe, all else aside, I want to see you get this resolved to your satisfaction, because as I mentioned before, it was me who told you go this route in the first place, so to some extent, even though I probably shouldn't, I feel partly responsible for what is happening in this situation.

The pictures that I found, were not hard to find, took me about 30 minutes, and of course illustrate the same grinder marks discussed when it comes to your heads.

But it is good to know that we can put much of this discussion to rest about the grinder marks being unique to your particular WCCH heads.

Others of us have them too, and Brian at RPT just built a car that they are about to hand over to a customer, if they have not already, with them, trusting the quality of the heads, the business end of the heads, and not being concerned about the marks.

So if you were thinking that you couldn't trust the quality of the heads due to grinder marks, or associating the two, well many of us have similar marks and rest easy and have the utmost confidence in them despite the cosmetics in these areas.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-05-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,498 Likes on 2,592 Posts

Originally Posted by azZ06Mike
21.52 at 35 mph on a 4.0 60ft
That's why I got the Camry Hybrid, 15.6 at 91 MPH
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

A possible reason why on some of the heads that the deburring seems to be more noticable than others could be when they do the deburring process. If they deburr the heads before/if they media blast them the deburr marks will not be very apperant. Now if they deburr the heads just before the final cleaning and assembly then they will standout as bright and shinny marks on the dull surface.

Another possiblity is camera and flash angle. If you take a pic with flash and at the right angles those marks will really jump out on the picture and look worse than they really are.

Mark
Old 12-05-2012, 02:09 PM
FRChilln
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

My heads came back from WCCH with the same burr marks but I don't think it's a big deal. Ill never see them again and I can drive with piece of mind.

Last edited by FRChilln; 12-05-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 PM
bgad
Safety Car

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by FRChilln
My heads came back from WCCH with the same burr marks but I don't think it's a big deal. Ill never see them again and I can drive with piece of mind.
Mine are headed to WCCH even as we speak. And when I get them back I intend to drive it like the problem is solved (? even if it's not) !
Old 12-05-2012, 02:46 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FRChilln
You can see this through the plastic wrapping.

Like you, more than anything I wanted to address the valve issue and be able to drive it as hard as I wanted and with peace of mind knowing that my new springs and valve work were going to be up to that challenge.

Before it was over though, these guys in here, had convinced me to install a cam. They kept working on me and got me to go with a ported intake manifold and throttle body.

They still weren't satisfied and kept applying the pressure until they had talked me into long tube headers and a new clutch.

All from needing to address the LS7 valve issue, came the above.

I have no regrets though. It's been a blast, and it still is.

I sometimes think I need to send GM a thank you note for screwing up the LS7 so bad that I had to do something about it, and ended up with the car as it is.

I've actually had a lot of fun, reading about, learning about ways and ideas on how to fix their screw up., and wound up with a 10 second car in the process.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-05-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
torqjunky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
You would think so.

His belief that no one else's WCCH heads have marks like his, is a false belief. The ones shown in the RPT pics and which were just used in one of their builds, are very similar to his own.

The WCCH head below belongs to 08VRZ06, and are taken from his thread describing his build:

You can see grinder marks pretty much all over the underside of the head Blow the picture up and you will see grinder marks on the ribs, in between the ribs, at the spark plug holes and at the bolt holes at each end.

So this talk from Griffee about his heads having been "farmed out" because they have grinder marks on them, is bunk.

Furthermore, so as not to give the notion that only WCCH deburrs stock heads, the following heads were done by AES.

They show up in this thread, and two of interest have been copied below and rotated so the viewer can appreciate better the fact that these too were deburred.

The difference is that they were likely deburred, either by the OEM manufacturer, GM, or AES, but they appear to have been deburred before ever being hot tanked. As such, you don't see the raw exposed aluminum after they have been deburred.

But make no mistake, they have definitely had the grinder on them in an attempt to reduce the flash and rough edges on them.

I searched this out of curiosity because I also wanted to see if there was something somehow "special" about the way that Griffee's heads had been treated.

Turns out, no. At least one vendor in here has just put a set of heads into one of their builds with similar grinder marks to Griffee's.

The heads Brian is posting are the ones off of my car that Rich did for us. He is crazy backed up right now and has hired some extra help to get the work done. If the help is deburing and so on that might explain the differences. If Rich is doing the important work that is where it counts then no big deal. To accuse someone of Farming out work over some etch a sketch marks is a little extreme until you made the call and asked Rich himself.

Quick Reply: [Z06] WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.