Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Griffee
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.

When you get your cylinder heads from WCCH expect them to be "deburred". On the outside. This way you weren't hurt yourself when installing them. Needless to say I am less then pleased with the "deburring" process of a "machine shop"...

Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes you wonder if WCCH has the same QC guys as GM, huh!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 PM
jconnors316
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wcch heads

Nice job .
Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Did someone have a seizure with an angle grinder in their hand?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 PM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems that you paid for something else. Just my .02 cents.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spra4u
Seems that you paid for something else. Just my .02 cents.
I agree.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 PM
cruzin2
Pro

to the OP, have you contacted WCCH and given them the chance to replace them or explain what their expectation is? not to defend them but any manufacturer can have QC issues.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 PM
D nice
Instructor

I would not install those! Are you sending them back? What was WCCH's response?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Aside from the cosmetic issue on the bottom side of the head, what does the other work, the valves, guides, springs, keepers look like?

Any pics of those?

I ask because I had some cosmetic damage to the underside of mine as well. See below.

As it was the underside of the head, I didn't sweat it, but again, mine was not to your extent.

I'd contact them and ask for some consideration on the pricing if the other work is OK.

This is what the business side of my WCCH heads look like.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-24-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Griffee
Pro

This was the response I got from WCCH:

This is normal deburring and nothing to worry about. We deburr all the heads we work on because they're so sharp from the manufacturer. We don't want our customers bleeding just trying to remove the heads from the box!
Enjoy!
That was the e-mail that was sent after I sent the requested pictures to them. I never did get a phone call back, and was way to swamped at work to try and make a return phone call.

I don't know Quick as per the head work. I guess I would have to take them to someone else and get their opinion.

At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do...I think I would just sell them, but seriously would anyone want to buy those? And if no one else would be willing to buy them...why exactly am I ?

I've never in all my years of racing saw anyone debur a spark plug hole. For what? So I don't get hurt pulling them out of the box? what kind of crummy excuse is that?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Just got mine from WCCH and they do not look like that...
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Griffee
Pro

Maybe he's so busy and got overwhelmed that he subbed the work out to someone else. Who knows? If that's not his MO(deburring spark plug holes and such) and all his heads don't go out that way...well then who did them?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 PM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by Griffee

I've never in all my years of racing saw anyone debur a spark plug hole. For what?

You have never cut yourself while spinning a spark plug into a deep hole by hand???

Some of you just complain too much.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was the e-mail that was sent after I sent the requested pictures to them. I never did get a phone call back, and was way to swamped at work to try and make a return phone call.

I don't know Quick as per the head work. I guess I would have to take them to someone else and get their opinion.

At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do...I think I would just sell them, but seriously would anyone want to buy those? And if no one else would be willing to buy them...why exactly am I ?

I've never in all my years of racing saw anyone debur a spark plug hole. For what? So I don't get hurt pulling them out of the box? what kind of crummy excuse is that?
A can of aluminum spray paint ...some tape..and a newspaper...problem solved!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, they actually deburred at least one of my spark plug holes:

In fact, if you expand the following pic to full screen, it looks like they deburred all of them. Especially the top two. And they deburred a couple of the ribs as well.

In the end, it's your money, and you have to be comfortable with your purchase.

But as I mentioned earlier, I would not be too concerned over the cosmetics of the bottom side of the cylinder head, which when installed on the engine block, practically faces the pavement.

No one, including you, is ever going to see that looking into the engine bay.

Do you have any pictures of the business side of the heads. The springs, the guides, the ports, the retainers, etc.?

Show us those, and if the work appears shoddy there, then I would indeed be concerned.

But I said it earlier, and I emphasize it, in the end, it's your money, and you have to be satisfied with them.

Originally Posted by JetBlue427
A can of aluminum spray paint ...some tape..and a newspaper...problem solved!
One way to approach it, but seriously, I wouldn't even go that far. I'm looking at these pics and the grinder marks are on the underside of the head, and for myself, would not be a big sticking point, my biggest concern not so much on the cosmetics, but on the actual valve and spring work.

But in the end, if you are unsatisfied with them, it's your car and your money.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-29-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Griffee
Pro

Originally Posted by hoefi
You have never cut yourself while spinning a spark plug into a deep hole by hand???

Some of you just complain too much.
You interested in buying them? And no...never cut...pass after pass after pass...plenty of burns but never a cut from the "razor knife" of a spark plug hole. More then a thousand times I've run them in and out.

Do you have any pictures of the business side of the heads. The springs, the guides, the ports, the retainers, etc.?
I'll take some tomorrow Quick. No not really happy with them at all no matter where the six year old grinding is facing...down..up...sideways...covering it up doesn't make it go away. Just not pleased at all.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,090 Likes on 574 Posts

I was the one that sold the heads to Griffee and they definately were not hacked up like that when I shipped them the WCCH. Although I agree that the 6 year old's die grinder romp had no ill affect on their operation and probably after they're bolted down no esthetic impact either.

What bother's me when I see shoddy workmanship it's usually not limited to what's visible. Crappy work usually migates into other areas. It tends to be a mind-set.

Sorry for it ending up like this Griffee... Niether of us ever invisioned something like this.

I'm sure glad I went with aftermarket heads. It makes me wonder how many ticking time bombs WCCH is leaving out there

Get notified of new replies

To WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Undy

What bother's me when I see shoddy workmanship it's usually not limited to what's visible. Crappy work usually migates into other areas. It tends to be a mind-set.

Sorry for it ending up like this Griffee... Niether of us ever invisioned something like this.

I'm sure glad I went with aftermarket heads. It makes me wonder how many ticking time bombs WCCH is leaving out there
Oh the humanity!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 AM
SSSUPRA
Advanced

This actually gives me a whole new outlook on the valve issue. If something like deburring can get blown this far out of proportion on this forum then I'm sure something like dropped valves can get blown WAY out.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

What did you have done to them and how much do you want for them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.