Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
hapnermw
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would second the request to add in a test of Lunati/Morel High RPM Lifters

http://www.lunatipower.com/Media/Doc...fters%20PR.pdf

Since these add weight to the valve train they likely should only be tested with the dual valve springs.

I would suggest the selection of the Manley Nextek Kit for the dual valve spring test since they are known to work well with the Torquer and SS exhaust valves.

Manley NextTek 221436-kit Springs max lift .660, closed 155, open 405, rate 379, coil bind 1.100, grams 93; 23617 Titanium Retainers; 42124 Locators

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Wow, I could come up with a couple dozen different scenarios..... What spin rig will you be using?

I would LOVE to see some testing with different rocker options, including rail set ups. The rail systems would obviously require a different modified head, but that data would be quite informative and possibly an option for Katech to sell as a head "upgrade" option. Crower, Jesel, T/D, Comp. The YT bolt on roller tip rockers are also getting a lot of free advertisement on this sight, so I suspect many CF members will be moving to them.

Are the PSI springs beehive? Which series?

Another test that would be interesting is a test with some double taper 1/2" and 5/8" push rods verse stock.

A test with different push rod pre-loads would be cool. One with .100" and one at .050".

A test with OE lifters, one with caddy lifters and one with some light weight / short travel morels.....
Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking forward to the results.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by hapnermw
I would second the request to add in a test of Lunati/Morel High RPM Lifters
The lifters used by Katech are likely superior to the Lunatis. I found something out this week I did not know about them. I'm not sure if this information is for general consumption, but I was very surprised.

Jason can address this tidbit.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by RFE-57
Hi Jason,
Sounds like a great opportunity.....

What is your overall goal for this project?

That may help me/us frame our comments and requests..

Any direct data like this is much appreciated.
B
The goal is to answer these questions:
Is it safe to run solid exhaust valves with the stock camshaft?
Is it safe to run solid exhaust valves with your typical aftermarket camshaft?
Does switching to a heavier spring with solid exhaust valves have any negative effects?
What is the limiting speed with heavier valves?

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
WWWOOOO!!! excellent, this is going to help a lot of people sleep at night jason. Thanks for doing this, i'm sure the "verified" springs you guys test will sell like hotcakes.

I know valvetrain dynamics are a funny thing, but do you think this testing will show the predicted limits of redline/spring pressures for aggressive cam profiles as well?? If not, could we toss one of the more radical comp grinds in there for another data point??

Really looking forward to the findings, and some high speed footage of what is going on in there with the heavier valves.
You can't take data from one test to predict results from something more aggressive. Small changes can totally change the results. If anybody is a fan of the show Gold Rush, veteran gold miner Tony Beets always says the key to successful gold mining is drill holes, drill holes, drill holes (said in my best Tony Beets accent). In other words, test, test and test again. The same principle can be applied here.

Originally Posted by Halltech
The lifters used by Katech are likely superior to the Lunatis. I found something out this week I did not know about them. I'm not sure if this information is for general consumption, but I was very surprised.

Jason can address this tidbit.
Jim is referring to Cadillac Racing lifters where I mentioned the steel check ball is replaced with ceramic for weight savings.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinZ
Hi Jason, It would be great to also see one other spring that has a heavier seat pressure such as the Manley 221435-16 SBC LS Series. I would be willing to put some dollars towards obtaining a set.

Running a heavier spring (specifically with the heavier solid stem valves) is one of the BIG focal points here on the forum.

I also would be willing to chip in a few bucks if necessary. As far as the specific springs, I'll defer to others but I would suggest the current WCCH offering given their popularity here on the forum.

and THANK YOU KATECH for continuing to go above and beyond while contributing to our community (in spite of some of the out-of-line commentary that inevitably occurs in internent forums).

Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 PM
RFE-57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sounds great

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Does switching to a heavier spring with solid exhaust valves have any negative effects?
That list is great...better to have more test time than more configurations. That should offer a set of great alternatives.

So looking forward to the data.
THX
B
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Minnesota Scott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good news. I have received budget approval to run a valvetrain dynamics test for development purposes to prove out a few of the questions posed here on the forum. Before I write the test plan, I'm interested in hearing input from you guys to see if there are additional combinations that need testing. I'm not saying that every combination posted here will get tested, or any additional at all, but your suggestions will be considered.

We would like to run this test as soon as possible. The valvetrain test cell is currently down due to computer problems, but repairs are in progress that should get it back up and running within days. Because it was down there is a bit of a backup of programs that are waiting for testing so we will have to wait in line, but once it gets fixed that should go through smoothly. In other words, I can't guarantee exactly when, but it will get done soon.

Here is how I see the test plan:
1. Stock cam/springs, stock valves
2. Stock cam/springs, solid stainless exhaust valve
3. Stock cam/dual springs, solid stainless exhaust valve
4. Torquer cam/PSI springs, stock valves (already tested long ago, but we will baseline again)
5. Torquer cam/PSI springs, solid stainless exhaust valves
6. Torquer cam/dual springs, solid stainless exhaust valves
7. Torquer cam/PSI springs, Ti exhaust valve

The Torquer cam will be an example of your typical aftermarket cam lobe profile.

If there is any vendor out there who wishes to have their combination tested we would be happy to include it in the mix for just the cost of running the additional combinations.

Input is encouraged.
I would be interested in seeing the results from a stock cam, stock springs and your titanium valves on both intake and exhaust.

I have subscribed...this will be very good information for all LS7 owners.

Thanks for the efforts!

Scott
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Seriously cool, Jason. This kind of thing is precisely why the community turns to Katech time and again. Big Time Kudos.

I'm interested in scenario #3 and I agree with the "current WCCH default equipment" test given how many folks have gone with them for changes/fixes. In my case that is stock cam, Patriot Gold duals, and SS exh valves from Racing Engine Valves.

So far no issues have arisen since the change but it would be nice to know the details.

Z//
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason, I have to say... thank you. Couldnt have been better timed!

I don't know how long this plan has been in the works but great, im actually excited here, its like christmas again.

I see you testing your Ti valves with the torquer, any value added to testing them on the stock cam, or would it be too much like the stock valves to be worth the effort?

Last edited by mistermog; 01-10-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Very interested to see results and glad to see Katech exploring the stainless valve.

Please provide as much detail as possible with the build, which lifters, pushrods, guides, valves, springs etc were used.

I have LS7 crank, rods, and heads without valves that I plan on building with forged pistons, ported heads, and likely a Torquer 110.

Last edited by 93Polo; 01-10-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Terrific that you are doing this. I was thinking of changing my heads just as a precaution.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Random84

Running a heavier spring (specifically with the heavier solid stem valves) is one of the BIG focal points here on the forum.

I also would be willing to chip in a few bucks if necessary. As far as the specific springs, I'll defer to others but I would suggest the current WCCH offering given their popularity here on the forum.

and THANK YOU KATECH for continuing to go above and beyond while contributing to our community (in spite of some of the out-of-line commentary that inevitably occurs in internent forums).

We have a set of WCCH Brodix heads ordered with TiMo intake and TiMo exhaust valves, Katech's Ti retainers/PSI springs that could be tested for this. We are just waiting for the Ti exhaust valves.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM
mistermog
Drifting

By the way Jason, are the PSI springs you will be using the ones you sell for the Torquer cam, beehives?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by mistermog
Jason, I have to say... thank you. Couldnt have been better timed!

I don't know how long this plan has been in the works but great, im actually excited here, its like christmas again.

I see you testing your Ti valves with the torquer, any value added to testing them on the stock cam, or would it be too much like the stock valves to be worth the effort?
The Ti/Mo exhaust valves are a few grams lighter than stock, so we're not too worried about running them but since we're doing the testing I would like to include them with the Torquer. It's probably not necessary to test them with the stock cam also. The Ti/Mo intake valves are the same weight so it's not necessary at all.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by mistermog
By the way Jason, are the PSI springs you will be using the ones you sell for the Torquer cam, beehives?
Yes. LS1511s to be exact.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope some other vendors actually step and ask for their combos to be tested.

As far as the duals valvesprings go, and aside from what I mentioned earlier, I would nominate either: 1) Manley NextTek 22143 springs 2) Brian Tooley Racing Platinum Duals 3) The Lingenfelter LSX dual valve springs for the test.

I'd also be interested in the install heights for any of the aftermarket duals selected for the test.

Finally, in regard to the portion in bold, I would like to know where Katech would recommend placing red lines based on results. For example, if a valve loses control at 7200 rpm, perhaps you would suggest a safety of 500 rpm and a new redline of 6700 rpm. Just an example of course. That way folks who still want to use SS valves can go in and limit redline and fuel cutoff via tunes if they so chose.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 PM
SmokinZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Rock36
I hope some other vendors actually step and ask for their combos to be tested.

As far as the duals valvesprings go, and aside from what I mentioned earlier, I would nominate either: 1) Manley NextTek 22143 springs 2) Brian Tooley Racing Platinum Duals 3) The Lingenfelter LSX dual valve springs for the test.

I'd also be interested in the install heights for any of the aftermarket duals selected for the test.

Finally, in regard to the portion in bold, I would like to know where Katech would recommend placing red lines based on results. For example, if a valve loses control at 7200 rpm, perhaps you would suggest a safety of 500 rpm and a new redline of 6700 rpm. Just an example of course. That way folks who still want to use SS valves can go in and limit redline and fuel cutoff via tunes if they so chose.
This posting sounds like a good idea, I like it!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm in thanks
z51vett
Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum