Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] PRC 265cc heads vs stock LS7(270ccc??)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default PRC 265cc heads vs stock LS7(270ccc??)

I am getting quotes and info on swapping the heads out on my 2007 Z06 at this time.

The info I have is that the stock LS7 head has a 270cc intake runner. Can anyone confirm this? I was originally thinking of stepping up to a P/P'd LS7 head for my Z, as I want to have a torquer 110 put in it soon, but the more I look at the PRC 265cc LS7 head, I think this is absolutely the way to go. Smaller port volume with the higher flow numbers it achieves, means a higher velocity intake charge. This should help with torque development across the RPM range.

There was also an article on LS7 heads being tested and the PRC heads did a very good job right out of the box in the test.

Should I just place the order this week? Can't really see a reason not to go this route in terms of price and performance at this point. Should do better than PP'd LS7 heads at about the same price(PRCs use new Ti valves being my price point comparison).
Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 AM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to say the stock LS7 intake runner is in the 250's range for CC's.

The LS3 is around 270 stock, correct me if I'm wrong.

Beyond that the PRC's heads have performed well on many occasions. I don't have them but I wouldn't hesitate trusting them.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Polo-1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LSX-LS7

270cc “as-cast” intake ports, 85cc “as-cast” exhaust ports • 70cc “as-cast” combustion chambers
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

My ported LS7 heads are 280cc runners...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 BUD
My ported LS7 heads are 280cc runners...
i'd like to see those
Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 PM
FRDnemesis
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I am getting quotes and info on swapping the heads out on my 2007 Z06 at this time.

The info I have is that the stock LS7 head has a 270cc intake runner. Can anyone confirm this? I was originally thinking of stepping up to a P/P'd LS7 head for my Z, as I want to have a torquer 110 put in it soon, but the more I look at the PRC 265cc LS7 head, I think this is absolutely the way to go. Smaller port volume with the higher flow numbers it achieves, means a higher velocity intake charge. This should help with torque development across the RPM range.

There was also an article on LS7 heads being tested and the PRC heads did a very good job right out of the box in the test.

Should I just place the order this week? Can't really see a reason not to go this route in terms of price and performance at this point. Should do better than PP'd LS7 heads at about the same price(PRCs use new Ti valves being my price point comparison).

Appear to be good product if you can get past thier bad attitude on the phone. They are great as long as you call and say "I have cash and want these parts".

God forbid you have techical questions of any complexity; thier attitude changes in a hurry as if you are bothering them. I don't know what happened to them because it used to be just the opposite years ago.

I've dumped them from my option list for shopping aftermarket castings. Options are:
Brodix
Mast Motorsports
All Pro (WCCH)
RHS

-jeff
Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond

ls7 intake runner stock is 259cc ls3 is 260cc...The intake ports designed airflow achieves the objective peak flow a bit past the cams max lift. the design of the short side radius, throat dia., valve seat profile, valve back cut, and combustion chamber shape are optimized to produce as much flow within the maximum valve lift window. Yes, it's possible to rework certain aspects of the short turn radius, seat throat and valve seat to raise the point at which maximum flow occurs. and this is what we are seeing with the wcch ported heads and aftermarket like mast.prc ect. Usually at the detriment of flow losses in the lower end of the lift range.

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 01-13-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis
Appear to be good product if you can get past thier bad attitude on the phone. They are great as long as you call and say "I have cash and want these parts".
I spoke to Aaron down there for about 20 minutes the other day on the phone. He was extremely helpful and in no rush to make the sale. He answered my questions and I asked about seeing if there was a exhaust valve option they don't have listed, but might be able to provide. He hasn't gotten back to me on that, but I will speak to him this week.

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
ls7 intake runner stock is 259cc ls3 is 260cc...
Thank you. GMPP lists the LS7 head with CNC ports at 270cc and that must have gotten confused in with my info. The PRC 265cc heads flow much better than the specs GMPP lists on those 270cc heads.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Polo-1
LSX-LS7

270cc “as-cast” intake ports, 85cc “as-cast” exhaust ports • 70cc “as-cast” combustion chambers
Yep, that was the same info I got off the GMPP site and I think I confused that up as being the stock LS7 head. I think the PRCs will be on the way for the Z soon.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a new set of PRC 265's in my closet. I plan to start on the install this week. I'm selling my stock heads(should be worth arount a grand) so the offset will make the purchase very comfortable. I'm also doing the Comp rocker arm upgrade. May as well kill two birds while the car is down. If you don't mind waiting by all means have your heads done. I like the thicker meat on the PRC's...so thats why I think it's a better deal for me.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
i'd like to see those

There you go... You did an amazing job Chad... Yes ZoSicktanner did these heads... Excellent work...
Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

I'm very pleased with my PRC 265s. Top notch quality and they perform great! My car is 99% street driven and on the street torque rules. My combo delivered earth moving torque combined with the relatively tame Torquer 110 Over 500 lb ft at the tires by 3600 RPMs....

Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Undy
I'm very pleased with my PRC 265s. Top notch quality and they perform great! My car is 99% street driven and on the street torque rules. My combo delivered earth moving torque combined with the relatively tame Torquer 110 Over 500 lb ft at the tires by 3600 RPMs....

That is the combo I want to eventually have. Budget says I can only get the heads on now, but I hope to get the Torquer 110 and LTs on it by later this year. Very nice numbers on your set up!!

Get notified of new replies

To PRC 265cc heads vs stock LS7(270ccc??)

Quick Reply: [Z06] PRC 265cc heads vs stock LS7(270ccc??)