Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Driver door won't open - anyone have fuse box diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Buford405
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver door won't open - anyone have fuse box diagram?

C6Z 2LZ w/71,000mi, exterior/interior door buttons/pads will activate window caddy and make sound like the door latch is open, but door latch won't release the door. Passenger door works fine. I've read that it may be the BCM body control module, but for $1200 I want to find other solutions. I've also heard about the door controller fuse, but I don't see such a fuse in the fuse panel. There is 1 door lock fuse and 1 door switch fuse. My passenger door is fine, so I don't think it is a blown fuse. I know the door latch works, because I can open it with the pull string in the hatch and the bail out latch on the floor. It has mild/wild switch installed in the fuse panel, however it has worked fine for years so I don't think this would have caused the problem. Any suggestions?

Vette ownership history:
1990 C4 polo green with ZR1 dash
2000 C5 millenium yellow
2005 C6 triple black Z51
2006 C6 triple black Z06

Last edited by Buford405; 01-14-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:04 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome.

I think the fuse ID is on the cover of the fuse box. There is one under the hood and one under the passenger's foot rest.

If it sounds like the "Latch" is engaging when you press the pad, I think the fuse is OK.

There are a few stories of this problem on this site. Try a search.

I would pay to have it checked out before I spent $1,200 on a BCM.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Buford405
Cruising

Found the fuse diagram, one next to the panel, and one in the manual. There is one fuse for the door locks and one for the door switch. Since the passenger door and the door locks work, I don't think it is a fuse issue.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I think there was a recent post about this problem; do a search here and in the "general" section.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Doubt it is the BCM. Symptoms point to the door latch in the B pillar. The door lock system includes the door switch on the outside, the door switch on the inside, the door module which controls the window and the door latch and then the door latch itself. If everything from the switch to the windows is working and the latch makes some noise like it is trying to release you need a new latch. The manual door pull overrides the electrical portion of the latch so you can't use that as a way of eliminating the latch. Been down this road before with my car although mine was covered under warranty.

Bill
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Buford405
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Doubt it is the BCM. Symptoms point to the door latch in the B pillar. The door lock system includes the door switch on the outside, the door switch on the inside, the door module which controls the window and the door latch and then the door latch itself. If everything from the switch to the windows is working and the latch makes some noise like it is trying to release you need a new latch. The manual door pull overrides the electrical portion of the latch so you can't use that as a way of eliminating the latch. Been down this road before with my car although mine was covered under warranty.

Bill
You say I can't use the door pull overrides to eliminate the door latch? That is how I currently open the door. I think I know what you meant. I wonder how big a job it is, and the cost? Thanks

Last edited by Buford405; 01-14-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the car since 2006 so I know how to open. Something is not releasing
Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 PM
nickTsandman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Try this http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-pads-too.html
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Buford405
You say I can't use the door pull overrides to eliminate the door latch? That is how I currently open the door. I think I know what you meant. I wonder how big a job it is, and the cost? Thanks
What I meant with my poor choice of words is you can't use the pull as a method to prove the latch is in good shape. In other words to eliminate it from consideration as a failure point.

Don't think it is a big job. GM Parts house price is $139. Might be a good idea to remove the lock from the car and see if it can be cleaned/lubricated and that the electrical connections are in good shape. Also check the wiring harness to the lock.

Bill
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Buford405;1582826426]C6Z 2LZ w/71,000mi, exterior/interior door buttons/pads will activate window caddy and make sound like the door latch is open, but door latch won't release the door. Passenger door works fine. I've read that it may be the BCM body control module, but for $1200 I want to find other solutions. I've also heard about the door controller fuse, but I don't see such a fuse in the fuse panel. There is 1 door lock fuse and 1 door switch fuse. My passenger door is fine, so I don't think it is a blown fuse. I know the door latch works, because I can open it with the pull string in the hatch and the bail out latch on the floor. It has mild/wild switch installed in the fuse panel, however it has worked fine for years so I don't think this would have caused the problem. Any suggestions?

I had this happen to my 08 C6 Z06 - they replaced everything except the door latch itself. Guess what the problem was? Yea, the door latch. Once it was replaced everything is fine.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 AM
Buford405
Cruising

[QUOTE=Joe aka - KODAK;1582834752]
C6Z 2LZ w/71,000mi, exterior/interior door buttons/pads will activate window caddy and make sound like the door latch is open, but door latch won't release the door. Passenger door works fine. I've read that it may be the BCM body control module, but for $1200 I want to find other solutions. I've also heard about the door controller fuse, but I don't see such a fuse in the fuse panel. There is 1 door lock fuse and 1 door switch fuse. My passenger door is fine, so I don't think it is a blown fuse. I know the door latch works, because I can open it with the pull string in the hatch and the bail out latch on the floor. It has mild/wild switch installed in the fuse panel, however it has worked fine for years so I don't think this would have caused the problem. Any suggestions?

I had this happen to my 08 C6 Z06 - they replaced everything except the door latch itself. Guess what the problem was? Yea, the door latch. Once it was replaced everything is fine.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my issue. I have spent all day on the net researching this - nobody except the dealer has the latch, but I'll try gmpartshouse. I will likely remove the latch and check the electrical connector to see if it just needs cleaning, prior to buying a new latch. Otherwise it looks like a $140 fix. What will be next?.......it's always something - probably the $200 xenon headlight.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

[QUOTE=Buford405;1582836411]
Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK

Thanks to everyone who responded to my issue. I have spent all day on the net researching this - nobody except the dealer has the latch, but I'll try gmpartshouse. I will likely remove the latch and check the electrical connector to see if it just needs cleaning, prior to buying a new latch. Otherwise it looks like a $140 fix. What will be next?.......it's always something - probably the $200 xenon headlight.
Since you have driven your Z, I bet the contacts need cleaned. It's been post here before that road grime can find it's way underneath the pad. Cleaning the contacts will correct the issue. Get some electrical contact cleaner. Two screws hold the pad in place
Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Buford405
Cruising

[QUOTE=tim414;1582836998]
Since you have driven your Z, I bet the contacts need cleaned. It's been post here before that road grime can find it's way underneath the pad. Cleaning the contacts will correct the issue. Get some electrical contact cleaner. Two screws hold the pad in place
I don't think it is the interior or exterior door switches, because when pushed, they both index the window and make noise like the door wants to open, but the latch won't release the door. The cleaning I was referring to was the contacts on the electrical connector on the latch located inside the b piller - I don't think any grime can get into that area.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
dstiger
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

pull fuse to windows and jump in like Bo and Luke do!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Buford405
Cruising

Default Issue resolved

Vette ownership history:
2000 C5 millenium yellow
2005 C6 triple black Z51
2006 C6 triple black Z06
I pulled the latch release and a part fell out. Found a used part at a local salvage yard for $85 without the cables. Dealer wanted $198, needGMparts.com wanted $138, GMpartshouse.com wanted $158. The salvage part works like new.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Vette ownership history:
2000 C5 millenium yellow
2005 C6 triple black Z51
2006 C6 triple black Z06
dollar bet that the problem is in the exterior button. most likely corroded contacts inside of the switch. i repaired mine. same exact issue. water intrusion=bad contacts. i cleaned mine up, die-electric greased it and havnt had a problem since. let us know if it fixes it. took about 10 minutes, thats it.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

when i originally had this issue i installed a new latch assy. also and thought it was fixed.......untill the next day and had same issue. then i dug deeper and found the corroded/green contacts and fixed it that way. either way hope yours is ok now.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver door won't open - anyone have fuse box diagram?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM
OOPS!
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickTsandman
I agree
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Buford405
Cruising

Originally Posted by erikszr1
when i originally had this issue i installed a new latch assy. also and thought it was fixed.......untill the next day and had same issue. then i dug deeper and found the corroded/green contacts and fixed it that way. either way hope yours is ok now.

Mine was the latch. A broken part fell out of the latch when I removed it, so it was definitely a failed part.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Gyrobob
Intermediate

Mine was the latch. A broken part fell out of the latch when I removed it, so it was definitely a failed part.
I have a similar problem. On the passenger door, when the outside pad or the inside button on the door is pushed, the window moves down a bit like it is supposed to, but the door won't open. The inside mechanical lever on the floor works, but the door won't open electrically.

The driver door works fine.

I took the exterior rubber pad switch off and cleaned up the contacts inside. They were a little cruddy, but not bad. When I reassembled it, there was no improvement.

To sum up, when the exterior rubber pad is used or when the interior door button is used, the only thing that happens is that the window moves down 1/4" like it is supposed to,.. and door stays shut. The door can easily be opened with the mechanical release on the floor.

Which parts need to be replaced?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Driver door won't open - anyone have fuse box diagram?