Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] WCCH-X vs WCCH stg 2 vs PRC

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WCCH-X vs WCCH stg 2 vs PRC

Just wondering as far as a hp/tq vs price standpoint what would people go with?

In talking with Carlos for a while I was thinking about his X heads, but with the 300ish price difference over regular WCCH heads and right about the same as PRC 265 heads... I'm just confused.

Anyone have any firsthand experience in comparing these?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you wanting to go with a torquer like a lot of us on here? If so you should take the decking into consideration. I have no idea what the X heads consist of but I'm personally ready to get these gm castings off the car. Not that they're necessarily flawed (who knows for sure but I'll feel better with the prcs. Plus, 3k into the prcs, then if I'm able to sell my stock heads for a grand, I'm sitting at 2k for the prcs. No brainer.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Right the PRC's would fit about the same as the WCCH-X heads cost wise, which seem to be about 400-500 more than standard WCCH heads. The heads are a different porting and some secret work to the chambers I assume... milling is optional, as on the WCCH proper heads.

I dont know much else about em except carlos says they are more efficient and let you run some more timing than WCCH heads.

As far as the cam, I don't know yet... I'm liking the dyno results of the Carlos' street menace cam, but I like the torquer as well. Haven't decided yet.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I like the quality of prc heads.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The PRCs are a non-GM design LS7 head. This means they had the option of reconfiguring the ports the way they wanted, but maintained the port locations to match intake and exhaust pieces available for the LS7. The GMPP CNC'd LS7 head has a port volume of around 270cc and the PRC 265cc port OUTFLOWS that GMPP head. This mean the PRCs have better velocity. I have not been able to get a number on the WCCH port size when ported, but the stock LS7 head is ~260cc from GM(259cc I think is the number).

The PRC heads are also fully machined and checked, hopefully eliminating the possibility of a geometry error on some/all LS7 GM heads.

Yes, I am a bit biased as I have decided to go the PRC route on my LS7. I am very happy with the choice and don't mind the few extra dollars over a reworked stock head.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM
NachosZO6
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Darin Morgan from Reher Morrison.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 PM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NachosZO6
Darin Morgan from Reher Morrison.
That dude flat knows his stuff!

On his P&P program do you know what it includes? His pricing is very competitive, and he and Reher are top notch engine builders.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 PM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 427ZM
That dude flat knows his stuff!

On his P&P program do you know what it includes? His pricing is very competitive, and he and Reher are top notch engine builders.
Darin's LS7 porting smokes the WCCH 2's work, flow and velocity. I've had both ports and had them flowed on the same bench (SuperFlow 600). I dunno why you would choose them and wait 4-6 weeks for heads you know arn't going to be the best they can be.

The stock LS7 head is about 259 cc's I recall. The PRC 265 port is not smaller than stock I dunno how people figure that.

WCCH 2 LS7 = 1/3
Darin Morgan LS7 = 2/4

Last edited by briancb1; 01-28-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Yeah Ive seen his name pop up from time to time, I didn't know he did heads for us.

Any know his port and rebuilt price OTD ballpark?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 PM
NachosZO6
Pro

Less than WCCH. Ask me how I know! Lol
Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by briancb1

The stock LS7 head is about 259 cc's I recall. The PRC 265 port is not smaller than stock I dunno how people figure that.
I posted the stock port size in my post, but I base a belief the PRC port is smaller than the other ported LS7 heads out there based on the stock 259cc size. I find it rather difficult to believe the flow numbers are coming from only 6cc of additional material removal by the various porters.

I am curious if you have the port sizes for those heads you tested. I have tried to get a size of the WCCH PP'd heads and haven't located it.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Funkybird
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with carlos and his x heads and a cam. im in the process of getting my car back together so I dont have much info yet unfortunately.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 AM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Darin's LS7 porting smokes the WCCH 2's work, flow and velocity. I've had both ports and had them flowed on the same bench (SuperFlow 600). I dunno why you would choose them and wait 4-6 weeks for heads you know arn't going to be the best they can be.

WCCH 2 LS7 = 1/3
Darin Morgan LS7 = 2/4

Now we're racing flow sheets....awesome.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 AM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Now we're racing flow sheets....awesome.
It's a before and after measuring tool, just like a dyno.

I guess we shouldn't dyno our cars after we modify and tune them to see how it changed. You're right how silly of me

I bet $3 you have WCCH heads.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

I guess we shouldn't dyno our cars after we modify and tune them to see how it changed. You're right how silly of me

ill show you mine that Darin cleaned up want to race......lol
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 AM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I posted the stock port size in my post, but I base a belief the PRC port is smaller than the other ported LS7 heads out there based on the stock 259cc size. I find it rather difficult to believe the flow numbers are coming from only 6cc of additional material removal by the various porters.

I am curious if you have the port sizes for those heads you tested. I have tried to get a size of the WCCH PP'd heads and haven't located it.
Yea I saw and I wasn't calling you out bro, it's just been said many times in other threads. That's what I was referring too.

I dunno what CC my heads are honestly but they are probably in the 260's. It's also important to compare CSA's as well to get a relationship between flow and port speed. If I opened up the CSA to gain a few cfm but lost a decent margin of velocity/fps the head could actually perform worse depending on the engine setup.... But seem more attractive on paper.

Get notified of new replies

To WCCH-X vs WCCH stg 2 vs PRC

Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 AM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
ill show you mine that Darin cleaned up want to race......lol
Ill show you mine, if you show me yours...

Ill bet they look like a set of OE castings when on the engine.

Baytown Tx, this Saturday Feb 2nd. Be there and ill race you buddy.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 AM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Comparing a dyno that measures relative output results to a flow sheet is not really the same - in fact, they are both pretty silly. If you believe that it is flow velocity or volume alone that makes power, then I'm not sure what else to tell you, other than continue to enjoy racing your flow sheets and dyno results. Let us know when you get beat by a car at the track with "inferior" heads.

Whether or not I have WCCH is irrelevant - you have Darin's. So what? Both "camps" have proven results - you like Darin's work, I like Richards. Choose to spend your money how you see fit. Keep your $3.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM
NachosZO6
Pro

SS MPSTR, not to defend Brian, but nowhere did he mention that flow numbers were the only factor in making power. Just pointed out that he was able to compare a before and after product and the 'after' product flowed more AND produced more power on the dyno. Don't want to start a pissing match here, so take it for what it is. Two useless tools showing more power from the same part before and after. Each can make their own conclusion.

Quick Reply: [Z06] WCCH-X vs WCCH stg 2 vs PRC