Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Which exhaust valve to get...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I am one of those running wcch heads with new oem exhaust valves and katech ti mo intake valves. My car has been over 500 rwhp since day 2 and while my guides were in spec at 17k mi I still feel they are suspect in these failures. The wcch guide is longer and we havent seen one failure with anyone using them on SS valves or oems, which is why I feel the oem guide is suspect, though I realize its a smaller sample. If someone like Painrace (or any other racer pushing their car above what 99% of us can do on a track) keeps his katech motor together with oem valves, then I feel quite confident that ill be fine. I drive the snot out of my car and hit yhr rev limiter daily and have been fine. 80 of my 115 drag passes were on my street tires where im on the limiter in3rd at 133 tje last 30 ft or so on my taller 345s. I am hard on it is what im saying.

Bottom line, check your guides guys. The valve you use is much less important.

Last edited by ConfusedGarage; 02-15-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIWS6
btw any have any links where i can get the ss vlaves and bronze guides?
Call me - I'd be more than happy to discuss the issues and the various options - I'm a forum vendor and have done many of these.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIWS6
I just picked up a 08 z06 2 weeks ago and im thinking of just replacing the valves and guides soon. so my question is what kind of valves are u guys using? valve guides? is there a sponsor i can get them from? I Dont want to replace the heads right now with aftermarket, i just want to fix the main problem with these heads. Any info is really appreciated. Thanks fellas!
Guide Options ( that I use)

Guides

CHE Bronze Valve Guides - http://www.cheprecision.com/html/guides.html

Ferrera Bronze Valve Guides
http://www.ferrea.com/Chevrolet-Valve-Guides/p33822

Valves - Stainless Steel

Ferrera
http://www.ferrea.com/Chevrolet-Engine-Valves/p34266

Rev

http://www.revvalves.com

Supertech

http://www.supertechperformance.com/products?id=121
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So.... are your lifters holding up guys?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BFST
So.... are your lifters holding up guys?
Everyone here is too wound up pushing the exhaust valve du jour to worry about the lifters

But personally I think Brian Tooley has something very interesting on that front... if I were shopping lifters, I'd be talking to him. Low leakdown lifters, or something like that. He'll know. Supposed to be high quality hand fitted... something obviously lacking in OEM LS7 valvetrains these days.

Last edited by Mark2009; 02-15-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

CHE's brochure describes a very interesting valve guide. Without really knowing what the others offer, theirs sound very very good.

I keep warming up to WCCH's approach of installing a slightly longer guide; other than a slight airflow nick this certainly can't hurt, it might help dissipate heat with an OEM valve, and if the theory of a flexing exhaust valve stem creating the lower guide wear were to be true then a longer guide could help quell that flexing. Sounds like a lot of potential upside with essentially no downside (except for the dyno crowd).

Charlie @ RPM has contributed facts and knowledge to several of these threads. Hard to go wrong with that
Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Since we're deep into the topic here, who knows why the GM engineers specified a sodium filled exhaust valve for the LS7?

Yes, I know.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Everyone here is too wound up pushing the exhaust valve du jour to worry about the lifters

But personally I think Brian Tooley has something very interesting on that front... if I were shopping lifters, I'd be talking to him. Low leakdown lifters, or something like that. He'll know. Supposed to be high quality hand fitted... something obviously lacking in OEM LS7 valvetrains these days.
CHE's brochure describes a very interesting valve guide. Without really knowing what the others offer, theirs sound very very good.

I keep warming up to WCCH's approach of installing a slightly longer guide; other than a slight airflow nick this certainly can't hurt, it might help dissipate heat with an OEM valve, and if the theory of a flexing exhaust valve stem creating the lower guide wear were to be true then a longer guide could help quell that flexing. Sounds like a lot of potential upside with essentially no downside (except for the dyno crowd).

Charlie @ RPM has contributed facts and knowledge to several of these threads. Hard to go wrong with that
On that we can agree.

CHE makes very fine products, their rocker trunion upgrade is in my own car, along with WCCH's "longer guides" and Brian Tooley's springs.

You mention Charlie above, and if one looks closely in this thread, they will see what valves he has been using, and with good results in his heads since 2007. Somewhere around 6 years. I'd say that is a decent amount of time to get a feel for what does and does not work when it comes to the management of the concerns of the original poster and others.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...e-to-come.html

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
08-26-2007, 08:53 AM; These are stock LS7 heads as supplied on the Z .

I run a complete CNC profile on the exhaust, hand work the intake side and do a Serdi contoured valve seat and custom valve job.

I also swap out the sodium filled exhaust valves for light weight, one piece SS valves. Valve springs are the best I can buy.

Intake ~ 380 CFM
Exhaust ~ 270 CFM (with pipe)

Thanks,

Charlie
Since we're deep into the topic here, who knows why the GM engineers specified a sodium filled exhaust valve for the LS7?

Yes, I know.
If one is interested in looking more into valve materials, the two links were referenced in here earlier by another poster.

http://www.precisionenginetech.com/t...esigns-part-1/

http://www.precisionenginetech.com/t...esigns-part-2/

But irrespective of why GM's engineers chose sodium filled stainless valves for the LS7, two facts remain.

1. The number of reported failures in here of those valves, is totally unacceptable, regardless of reason why they were selected.

2. The original poster of this thread, quite possibly having similar sentiment leading to real concerns, has expressed an interest in finding out what alternatives there are for him.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-15-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Quick, I read your two links. I will put you down as "No, I don't know why GM engineers chose a sodium filled hollow exhaust valve for the LS7."

Thanks for contributing

CHE makes fine valve guides for the LS7 because of, among other things, their claimed heat transfer capability; something that is not really needed with a non-sodium valve, but you knew that, right?

Quick, I read your two links. I will put you down as "No, I don't know why GM engineers chose a sodium filled hollow exhaust valve for the LS7."
Oh, well, maybe not . . . . .

Last edited by Mark2009; 02-16-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Thanks for contributing

CHE makes fine valve guides for the LS7 because of, among other things, their claimed heat transfer capability; something that is not really needed with a non-sodium valve, but you knew that, right?

Oh, well, maybe not . . . . .
Actually, I'll do you one better.

I don't especially care why GM's engineers selected as they did, or more accurately, I don't care if you think you know why they selected as they did.

That which you somehow seem to take pride in being privy to, I could not give a $*** about.

Why?

Because whatever reason they had for choosing as they did, there STILL have been entirely too many failures as a result of that choice.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

How can you give advice with no answers?

If you claim that others -- such as GM engineers -- have done wrong, should you not be able to describe where they went wrong? If not, how can your solution have any credibility?

You now say that GM engineers chose wrong. What is your evidence that it is their fault, rather than some QC or other issue beyond their control?

And, for the third time, exactly how many failures has there been?

Last edited by Mark2009; 02-16-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

If you claim that others -- such as GM engineers -- have done wrong, should you not be able to describe where they went wrong? If not, how can your solution have any credibility?

You now say that GM engineers chose wrong. What is your evidence that it is their fault, rather than some QC or other issue beyond their control?
Man, are you really this thick?

Have you not seen the several failures of these valves in here?

Who the hell cares why GM engineers selected these valves? They are failing and putting people at a financial disadvantage.

The "evidence" is in the several instances of failure we have already witnessed in here.

If it was QC, well then why has it gone on since 2005?

They made a bad selection for this application.

Seriously, I have gone back and forth with you on this matter for a long time now, and some of what you say is completely out of left field.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:42 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
That which you somehow seem to take pride in being privy to, I could not give a $*** about.
"That" is knowledge. Your valuation of it is noted.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

And, for the third time, exactly how many failures has there been?
Exactly more than there should have been.

Or perhaps you believe that the "exact" number of failures, seen in this forum and outside of it, is acceptable?

Do you? :

But if you want a number between 1 and 30,000, well then perhaps you should ask GM, the architects of this mess.

Oh, that's right, I forgot. They don't even know. They only know how many they have covered under warranty.

In fact, the supposed "mis machined" heads, they don't even know which cars those are in, so they cannot give a VIN range.

"That" is knowledge. Your valuation of it is noted.
Knowledge which from a practical standpoint, is completely worthless. And that is my "exact" valuation of it.

Go ask the guy with the fresh hole in his engine block if he gives a damn why GM's engineers selected these valves.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-16-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

They [GM engineers] made a bad selection for this application.

Seriously, I have gone back and forth with you on this matter for a long time now, and some of what you say is completely out of left field.
I see. You are smarter, at least in retrospect, than the GM engineers that designed the LS7 valvetrain/combustion chamber. You don't know why they chose the valve they did, but you are sure that they were wrong, and that your choice is better. Yet I am completely out of left field. Noted.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:55 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I see. You are smarter, at least in retrospect, than the GM engineers that designed the LS7 valvetrain/combustion chamber.
All that I can tell you with 100% accuracy, is that I'm smarter than you.

You don't CARE why they chose the valve they did, but you are sure that they were wrong, and that your choice is better. Yet I am completely out of left field. Noted.
You were close. I fixed it for you with the part in bold.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Go ask the guy with the fresh hole in his engine block if he gives a damn why GM's engineers selected these valves.
Ah yes, emotion fuels your argument. Valve broke, valve bad. Just imagine if we applied your logic to other vehicle components. Tire flat, tire bad.

We'd all be driving around on solid stainless steel tires

Get notified of new replies

To Which exhaust valve to get...

Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Ah yes, emotion fuels your argument. Valve broke, valve bad. Just imagine if we applied your logic to other vehicle components. Tire flat, tire bad.
As I said earlier, I'm smarter than you. As such, I can recognize a lousy analogy when I see one. And your "flat tire" analogy, is absurd.

We'd all be driving around on solid stainless steel tires
So if we used your logic, you would argue that we should be running rubber exhaust valves.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:08 AM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said earlier, I'm smarter than you. As such, I can recognize a lousy analogy when I see one. And your "flat tire" analogy, is absurd.

So if we used your logic, you would argue that we should be running rubber exhaust valves.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

As I said earlier, I'm smarter than you. [...]
Unfortunately your posts, and your posse, indicate otherwise.

My logic, as per my tire example, indicates that things can fail due to external factors unrelated to any direct design or engineering defect. Your logic allows for none of that.

Last edited by Mark2009; 02-16-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Which exhaust valve to get...