Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] AirRaid intake vs Halltech

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 PM
mousetom78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AirRaid intake vs Halltech

I am ready to do first mod to my 06 ' Z with 55k miles after I purchased it back in October, 2012 with 53k . My first mod will be an intake (CAI) I am down to Halltech vs Airraid

I will not be doing a tune for little while so I will make sure that intake will not cause any check engine light after install.

What is difference power level increase AirRaid vs Halltech? AirRaid is about 250 shipped to your door and Halltech is almost 500 bucks. It is big difference where I can save it for more mods later.

Can you guys tell me if AirRaid is good and it will not cause engine light and i will see power increase and how much?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 PM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to say honestly.

I don't have any data on stock vs air raid vs halltech intakes on a stock Z.

I personally have a 107R halltech intake but its mandatory that the car gets retuned upon installation basically.

I would call air raid and see if they can supply you with any data before making your final purchase.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 AM
06LMBZ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I started with an Airraid intake on my H/C/I z06 and when I switched to the Halltech MF103 I picked up over 20 rwhp/rwtq across the power band. Just my experience.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Property1
Instructor

Neither will cause a service engine light to show up. I have the Airaid for the same reasons you listed. I got it for something like $150 because I couldn't find a Halltech unit for less than $350 used. I know the Halltech is supposed to be a better unit. But I don't think it's 20rwhp/rwtq better.

If you just look at the two units side by side, they are nearly identical. Big *** oval filter. Black plastic tube going to the intake. The Halltech has the heat shield which the Airaid does not, but that's not exactly a 20rwhp distinction. If I'm wrong, feel free to chime in and correct me, but I'm not seeing a huge difference between the units.

edit: forgot that the Halltech relocates the MAF sensor to further forward which should also be an improvement. But that's hard to quantify.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

We sell both but hands down, the Halltech system is measurably and aesthetically superior.

Originally Posted by mousetom78
I am ready to do first mod to my 06 ' Z with 55k miles after I purchased it back in October, 2012 with 53k . My first mod will be an intake (CAI) I am down to Halltech vs Airraid

I will not be doing a tune for little while so I will make sure that intake will not cause any check engine light after install.

What is difference power level increase AirRaid vs Halltech? AirRaid is about 250 shipped to your door and Halltech is almost 500 bucks. It is big difference where I can save it for more mods later.

Can you guys tell me if AirRaid is good and it will not cause engine light and i will see power increase and how much?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I see you're in MD & Halltech will also include his email-tune with the purchase which helps offset the $475 price.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 PM
mousetom78
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bedouin
I see you're in MD & Halltech will also include his email-tune with the purchase which helps offset the $475 price.
Halltech includes a tune? Do I need to buy that SCT adapter? I know they do SCT mail tune but do i need to pay for an adapter How does that program work?

In the end, if I bolt on Halltech and I bolt on a AirRaid. Which one gives me the most power and how much more on a stock Z.

Thomas
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 PM
06LMBZ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I can only go off of my experience, do a search, I am sure you will find others comparing the Halltech intake. Like I mentioned, I picked up a little over 20 rwhp and tq just by installing the MF103 and adjusting the air fuel mixture. Installing the mf103 caused the car to go a little leaner, we added some fuel and the end result was alot more torque and power under the curve and the peak numbers mentioned above. Now I will say my car is heavily modified and is currently making 566/500 so the increase may not be as much on a stock set-up, but for mine the results were great. If I wasn't installing an ECS Novi kit I would be keeping the intake. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Last edited by 06LMBZ; 02-19-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 AM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
We sell both but hands down, the Halltech system is measurably and aesthetically superior.
Can you elaborate? Performance-wise I mean. Are you talking with a tune or bone stock cars that are still in warranty? I have the Airraid, but figured the Halltech would be better due to the shield keeping temps down. Want to stay stock until I check valves.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jbs02somws6
Can you elaborate? Performance-wise I mean. Are you talking with a tune or bone stock cars that are still in warranty? I have the Airraid, but figured the Halltech would be better due to the shield keeping temps down. Want to stay stock until I check valves.
The Halltech is superior in isolating the airflow and maintaining IAT's.

Both units work well without recalibration.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 PM
FRChilln
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Halltech with the beehive seems to pick up a few extra ponies.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Airaid includes two wings that mount above the radiator to block engine heat from flowing over to the air breather when at rest. When the car is in motion, no air moves forward, with either intake; the Airraid with the wings or the Halltech with the heat shield installed. I have the stock intake with a Vette-Air scoop(to get true "cold air" to the breather from the grill opening) and also have a set of the Airaid wings installed to minimize engine heat entering the air breather when the car is not moving.

Works for me, and no tune needed.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Halltech. Superior products. They do their homework thats for sure.

Get notified of new replies

To AirRaid intake vs Halltech

Quick Reply: [Z06] AirRaid intake vs Halltech