Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another dropped Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by clogan

This issue is simple, guys: Valve guides on the LS7 are a wear item, and must be monitored and replaced as necessary...just like tires, oil, air filters, wiper blades...you name it.

Anyone who ignores this, does so at their own peril.
So are bearings, and piston rings. How often do you inspect those items? Bottom line on guide wear. Yes, they are a wear item. But they shouldnt be out of tolerance within 30K miles. Todays engines are designed to exceed 100k miles on wear items.

We shouldnt have to worry about the "what if" our guides are shot theory and just expect that GM designed the things to last service life of the motor. How often do you inspect the guides in any of yout other vehicles?

I can honestly say that my LS6 with 120K miles, PM valve guides, and sodium filled exhaust valves didnt have this problem when I pulled the heads to have them ported.

GM didn't design them as a wear item, they were machined incorrectly causing the excessive wear.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed i think everyone gets the picture.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jedblanks
I have never tracked the car. I have never had the car over 90 miles per hour. I have never been at redline for any period of time and held it there. I have never hit the rev limiter. Most shifts on the street are at 6k or less and that rarely happens. Just no opportunity. I May have hit 6k in 2nd once.

Seriously. No BS. This car was babied.

If you are predisposed to believe otherwise, to protect your false beliefs that there is no issue, I feel sorry for you.

I do not believe the guides are a wear item. They are right and don't wear, or they are wrong and do wear. GM got them wrong for the most part.
Peace, Luv 2 too! I was just saying, Read this stuff all the time! Look over and the avatars something like" 205 mph" You Know 2 plus 2.
Again, Sorry for your troubles.....
Old 02-26-2013, 02:12 PM
tigertank
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow never over 90 geez thats like having jenna jamison and just holding her!!lol
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
MudZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't think of a time I took the car out and DIDN'T go over 90. Kudos to you on your restraint.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another dropped Valve