Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Vengeance Racing Rocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Vengeance Racing Rocks

My Z06 is a 2007 with 21,000 miles and out of warranty. I am the third owner. The car is all stock and it had no issues with engine noise or oil on the plugs. I plan to keep the car so I wanted to do something about the dropped valve issue. I may have had many years of trouble free driving but I did not want to gamble. My friend, Andy K in Chapel Hill, NC, felt the same way. Andy bought his car new (2007) and has never had any issues but he wanted to be proactive on the guide wear issue. After Clogan’s post (in January) I contacted Ryan at Vengeance Racing in Cumming, GA about doing the same thing Logan did. Andy and I thought about it for a week and then put our deposit down and we had an appointment for the 25th of February. Peggy and I left Va. Beach on the 24th at 6:30 and met Andy just west of Chapel Hill, NC around noon. We arrived in Cumming about 5:00. We stayed at a Hampton Inn about three miles from Vengeance. Andy’s wife, Mary, drove her SUV down so we would have transportation while the cars received their new heads.
We arrived at Vengeance at 9:15 Monday morning and went over the work with Kevin and Ryan. They were going to start mine first as I had the longest ride home. Kevin felt they could complete both cars by Tuesday afternoon. My car was 100% stock and so was Andy’s. We were both getting the LS7 WCCH heads with tumble polished intakes, SS exhaust values, bronze guides and stage two porting. We elected to put in new Comp Cams lifters and I had CHE rockers and Andy went with the Comp Cams bushings. I also added the Halltech CAI (103). We also elected to have Vengeance tune the cars. We left Vengeance and headed down to FDR’s Little While House and Callaway Gardens which is just south of Atlanta. We enjoyed the site seeing adventure and returned to Vengeance Tuesday afternoon about 3:00. My car was back together and on the dyno. Andy’s had the heads on and they planned to finish by the end of the day. My car baselined at 442.32 rwhp and 426.43 rwtq. After the tune, new heads with Stage 2 porting the Halltech CAI, my car was at 501.74 rwhp and 470.39 rwtq. I do not have Andy’s actual numbers but his baseline was around 472 hp and after the tune 496. Note his baseline is close to 30 hp more than mine. Andy’s car has Corsa cat back and mine has the Billy Boat PRT. Neither car has headers.
My engine actually sounds the same as before or maybe a little quieter. The drivability is better as a result of the tune. I got about a mile to the gallon better mileage on the way home. I am going to fill the car up today so I will know the actual mileage on the return trip. I was very easy on the car on the 575 mile trip to Atlanta. I drove it like it should be driven on the way home. No question of the SOTP’s power increase.
I would give Vengeance an A+ on their work and service. I tried to work with 3 shops that were in the VA and NC area. Their prices were in the ballpark as Vengeance but all required the car to set while my heads were shipped to WCCH. Two required for the car to sit outside. Vengeance is very professional and no hidden surprises. The even washed my car after all was done. As a side note, when I got there I started covering my front fenders with blue tape. Ryan came out and said they cover the fenders with a plastic. I should have known. I have asked Ryan to post up the actual Dyno Jet sheets. Thanks again to Vengeance Racing for such an easy solution.

I studied this problem for months and I have read for hours about the problem and a solution. I talked to Evan at Chevrolet via email and my local Chevrolet dealer. Both indicated that Chevrolet would consider paying something if my engine dropped a valve but were very open ended. Every day that passes brings relief to Chevrolet on these early Z06's. I even talked to Tom Hill and he said if the car is unmodded and had regular maintance, Chevrolet might do something. I was unwilling to gamble on this so I fixed the problem with the best solution at this time. I considered Brodix heads and TI values and Richard at WCCH talked me out of them. I want to thank Undy and Ricky for their time they have spent helping educate me on the problem. So, that is my story and I am very happy with the results.

Mark
Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
blacktavert
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always heard good things about Vengeance's work
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM
JChastain
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine goes in on the ninth. Looking forward to it. Vengeance has already installed a cam in my car so im looking forward to the results and added security.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

Super excited when I read things like this...I have heard great things about them as well and my baby will be in their hands very soon !

Awesome !!!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

How did you swing having the heads ready to go without shipping yours and waiting?

Can you run wcch stage 2 heads on stock tune?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:57 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC
My Z06 is a 2007 with 21,000 miles and out of warranty. I am the third owner. The car is all stock and it had no issues with engine noise or oil on the plugs. I plan to keep the car so I wanted to do something about the dropped valve issue. I may have had many years of trouble free driving but I did not want to gamble. My friend, Andy K in Chapel Hill, NC, felt the same way. Andy bought his car new (2007) and has never had any issues but he wanted to be proactive on the guide wear issue. After Clogan’s post (in January) I contacted Ryan at Vengeance Racing in Cumming, GA about doing the same thing Logan did. Andy and I thought about it for a week and then put our deposit down and we had an appointment for the 25th of February. Peggy and I left Va. Beach on the 24th at 6:30 and met Andy just west of Chapel Hill, NC around noon. We arrived in Cumming about 5:00. We stayed at a Hampton Inn about three miles from Vengeance. Andy’s wife, Mary, drove her SUV down so we would have transportation while the cars received their new heads.
We arrived at Vengeance at 9:15 Monday morning and went over the work with Kevin and Ryan. They were going to start mine first as I had the longest ride home. Kevin felt they could complete both cars by Tuesday afternoon. My car was 100% stock and so was Andy’s. We were both getting the LS7 WCCH heads with tumble polished intakes, SS exhaust values, bronze guides and stage two porting. We elected to put in new Comp Cams lifters and I had CHE rockers and Andy went with the Comp Cams bushings. I also added the Halltech CAI (103). We also elected to have Vengeance tune the cars. We left Vengeance and headed down to FDR’s Little While House and Callaway Gardens which is just south of Atlanta. We enjoyed the site seeing adventure and returned to Vengeance Tuesday afternoon about 3:00. My car was back together and on the dyno. Andy’s had the heads on and they planned to finish by the end of the day. My car baselined at 442.32 rwhp and 426.43 rwtq. After the tune, new heads with Stage 2 porting the Halltech CAI, my car was at 501.74 rwhp and 470.39 rwtq. I do not have Andy’s actual numbers but his baseline was around 472 hp and after the tune 496. Note his baseline is close to 30 hp more than mine. Andy’s car has Corsa cat back and mine has the Billy Boat PRT. Neither car has headers.
My engine actually sounds the same as before or maybe a little quieter. The drivability is better as a result of the tune. I got about a mile to the gallon better mileage on the way home. I am going to fill the car up today so I will know the actual mileage on the return trip. I was very easy on the car on the 575 mile trip to Atlanta. I drove it like it should be driven on the way home. No question of the SOTP’s power increase.
I would give Vengeance an A+ on their work and service. I tried to work with 3 shops that were in the VA and NC area. Their prices were in the ballpark as Vengeance but all required the car to set while my heads were shipped to WCCH. Two required for the car to sit outside. Vengeance is very professional and no hidden surprises. The even washed my car after all was done. As a side note, when I got there I started covering my front fenders with blue tape. Ryan came out and said they cover the fenders with a plastic. I should have known. I have asked Ryan to post up the actual Dyno Jet sheets. Thanks again to Vengeance Racing for such an easy solution.

I studied this problem for months and I have read for hours about the problem and a solution. I talked to Evan at Chevrolet via email and my local Chevrolet dealer. Both indicated that Chevrolet would consider paying something if my engine dropped a valve but were very open ended. Every day that passes brings relief to Chevrolet on these early Z06's. I even talked to Tom Hill and he said if the car is unmodded and had regular maintance, Chevrolet might do something. I was unwilling to gamble on this so I fixed the problem with the best solution at this time. I considered Brodix heads and TI values and Richard at WCCH talked me out of them. I want to thank Undy and Ricky for their time they have spent helping educate me on the problem. So, that is my story and I am very happy with the results.

Mark
Great story MarkC, and I am glad that I was able to be of assistance in pointing you in the right direction in the management of this matter.

I just want to say also, folks, MarkC knows his stuff about the potential options available for managing this problem, as he has done more research on it, in terms of time on the phone, and personally interviewing professionals about it, than dare I say, most owners in here.

You can just about name the option for managing this matter, and he has researched it. From rocker arms, to springs, to castings, to valves, he did his homework.

Mark, congrats again on doing a thorough job of researching the matter, and selecting a great vendor for the performance of this work.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-28-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM
ThrottleRanch
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome to hear. I will probably take mine there as well.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jedblanks
How did you swing having the heads ready to go without shipping yours and waiting?

Can you run wcch stage 2 heads on stock tune?
Vengeance has several sets of LS7 heads in their inventory. So I exchanged my heads for one of their sets that have been reworked by WCCH. Mine were shipped to WCCH the same day they were taken off.

My understanding is that you do not have to tune the car with the stage two porting.

Mark
Old 02-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Mark
Being a vendor on this forum for over 5 years I still love reading stories like this, I personally have never dealt with Vengeance but they seem to make a lot of people happy on this forum. P.S. should have got a cam
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 02-28-2013, 04:31 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Mark, thanks for sharing great story! And, I am excited to see your results. I am essentially going to do the same thing you did, Halltech CAI, stock motor/cam, WCCH Stage 2 porting tune and done with it. I am aiming for the same HP you got right around 500rwhp, even 485-490 would be great. I am having a local shop do the work

Actually, I have B&B PRT as well on the car now

I have heard nothing but good feedback about Vengance so its nice to see your experience was great also Ryan and I exchanged quite a few emails about this subject and he was always very prompt and professional and informative .
Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Mark, thanks for sharing great story! And, I am excited to see your results. I am essentially going to do the same thing you did, Halltech CAI, stock motor/cam, WCCH Stage 2 porting tune and done with it. I am aiming for the same HP you got right around 500rwhp, even 485-490 would be great. I am having a local shop do the work

Actually, I have B&B PRT as well on the car now

I have heard nothing but good feedback about Vengance so its nice to see your experience was great also Ryan and I exchanged quite a few emails about this subject and he was always very prompt and professional and informative .
My main concern was to fix the guide and valve issue. I figured if I could get a few more ponies that would be fine. I ended up with a 60 hp increase which is crazy considering I did not add headers or a cam. I am fine with 500 rwhp in a 3100 pound car. I frankly never use it all anyway. Frank, I think you will be very happy with results.

Mark
Old 02-28-2013, 05:01 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

My main concern was to fix the guide and valve issue. I figured if I could get a few more ponies that would be fine. I ended up with a 60 hp increase which is crazy considering I did not add headers or a cam. I am fine with 500 rwhp in a 3100 pound car. I frankly never use it all anyway. Frank, I think you will be very happy with results.

Mark
My thinking is Exactly the same as yours... addressing the issue, and might as well pick up some power while we are at it. for me now is just a waiting game for the heads I am buying off another forum member to get finished at WCCH... my car is in storage now for winter anyway, but I am definitely getting spring fever Looking forward to getting the heads on and tune done, just in time for summer, late spring
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Dre01SS
Burning Brakes

Mark
Same here... fix the issue, get a few ponies, keep driveability as-is. Mine will be seeing Vengeance April 1st - Cannot wait for the peace of mind!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 AM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Here's a copy of Mark C's before and after dyno graph!

and a copy of Andy K's before and after dyno graph!

Thanks again guys!!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM
EvilZ51
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

May end up having to give you guys a call instead of Texas Speed. I've been looking at doing heads and cam on my car for a while and I'm finally to the point I'm about ready to pull the trigger.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 AM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by EvilZ51
May end up having to give you guys a call instead of Texas Speed. I've been looking at doing heads and cam on my car for a while and I'm finally to the point I'm about ready to pull the trigger.
Thanks for your interest! Feel free to call or shoot me a PM to put together a package!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM
"NO SHOW"
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on doing the same to my Z and have spoke to the guys at Vengance, very impressive group!

Get notified of new replies

To Vengeance Racing Rocks

Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by "NO SHOW"
I plan on doing the same to my Z and have spoke to the guys at Vengance, very impressive group!
Thanks a ton! Let me know when you're ready!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice post and results MarkC. I was the guy with the white ZR1 that showed up at Vengeance while you were there.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Plecko
7th Gear

Nice outcome! Need to look into this with my Z06 and talk to Vengeance!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vengeance Racing Rocks