Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 to GT-R guys, or Vette and GT-R owners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:47 AM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z06 to GT-R guys, or Vette and GT-R owners?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a GT-R to play with until the C7 Z06 comes out....so I need some advice from guys that made the swap.

I have a few GT-R friends, but obviously their opinions are different from Z06 vette owners? Anyway, just looking to see what your experience was/is with the GT-R, and how did you like the transition?

My thinking is that I'll have to trade in my current Z when the C7 Z comes out, so why not trade it in now on a GT-R until that time. I'm thinking it'll be a good car to play with and that the automatic/DCT and extra room in the car would make it a more comfortable daily. Basically I just want your opinions on drive ability, comfort, performance etc. I love my Z, but sometimes it's a pain to take anywhere since it's so low, wide and the manual drives me nuts in traffic.

Let me know if my thinking is correct, and if it'll be as good of an all around performer/driver as I think it'll be. It's easy to test drive a car, but I need to know what it's really like to own and live with on a daily basis. My other option is to just sell my current Z and sit on the money until the C7 Z comes out.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:23 AM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a good read.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-with-gtr.html

I spent last weekend in Houston for TX2k13 with my friend and his GTR. This event is GTR oriented, so there's plenty in attendance. Got to talk to few other GTR owners about mods and stuff. Seems as though you can put a GTR in the mid 10's fairly easily with just bolt ons and E85. Doesn't affect drivability at all and will damn near run that on the street. This sounds great but the cost for these mods are not cheap.
Another thing that isn't cheap is the regular maintenance. Brakes cost like $2k, transmission oil (which is required to be replaced every 12k miles) is about $500, then there's tires, ect.
For a daily, I wouldn't do it. For a pleasure car.....I'd unload my Z06 in a second for one. A GTR will turn a complete novice into a rockstar. Speaking of rockstar, if you wanna feel like one, buy a GTR. I've never seen a car attract attention like this car. People taking pictures passing by, people breaking their necks to get a glimpse of it. Definitely not the car to have if you like to fly under the radar.

Good luck with your choice. If I could afford a GTR I know what I would do.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 AM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Go for it!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm94
Go for it!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

I took a long look/study of GTRs before I got my 13Z..It came down to new/used..Nissan dealers considered 1k off a 98K car a deal...not me....Could not bring myself to buy a used sports car Nissan/Chevy...jmho...Get what works for you..both are great in there own right

Last edited by ATC399; 03-19-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I drove a 780RWHP GTR Daily Driver and at the end of the day, it was and still will be a NISSAN. Power felt "cool" but once I slammed the brakes and ripped a corner, I was like....BOOOOOO...

It's a heavy Twin Turbo Nissan.

I'm kindoff spoiled though with fast "nimble" cars so you might like it differently.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 AM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
I drove a 780RWHP GTR Daily Driver and at the end of the day, it was and still will be a NISSAN.
And our beloved Z06 is a CHEVROLET. A company which has swept it's valve guide problems under the rug.

I love my Z06 but let's not start sucking each others ****** quite yet.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO they are two very different cars with two very different purposes.

GTR is aimed squarely at the F&F crowd and that is the attention you will attract. Personally I could do without that.
The Vette, and especially the Z06/ZR1, is more of a status symbol and a true purpose built race car. It's not without flaws, but weight reduction is considered equally with power.

Speaking of that power, there is nothing like it. Raw, Ripped, and ready.

I've driven my fair share of twin and single turbo awd imports and they have power, but you have to wind them up to get to it. And the buzz of a 6 can't compare to the roar of an 8.

The Corvette is not without flaw, but the GTR isn't casting the first stone either.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM
wolf8218
Drifting

What I like most about the Z06 is that it's unassuming, people think it's slower than a ZR1/GTR.

I don't care about the looks I get on the street, I just care about the looks from the doctor driving a V10 R8 when he just got annihilated on the high way by a car that costs 1/4 as much as his.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
I drove a 780RWHP GTR Daily Driver and at the end of the day, it was and still will be a NISSAN. Power felt "cool" but once I slammed the brakes and ripped a corner, I was like....BOOOOOO...

It's a heavy Twin Turbo Nissan.

I'm kindoff spoiled though with fast "nimble" cars so you might like it differently.
GTR's come in rear wheel drive?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf8218
I don't care about the looks I get on the street, I just care about the looks from the doctor driving a V10 R8 when he just got annihilated on the high way by a car that costs 1/4 as much as his.
There is always someone faster--I could care less. There are boosted Honda Civics riding around that will lay waste to our Zs--at far less cost. It is all relative.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
GTR's come in rear wheel drive?
oops, AWHP, nice catch!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by wolf8218
What I like most about the Z06 is that it's unassuming, people think it's slower than a ZR1/GTR.

That's because it is.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 PM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LOUFY
That's because it is.
This is how it's broken down if you're just talking about fast in a straight line stock for stock:

09-11 GT-R < Z06

12-14 GT-R > Z06

ZR1 > Z06
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Amerkin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LOUFY
That's because it is.
I beg to differ: I ran a GTR running on high boost with E85 claiming 600hp in a legal 1/2 mile roll race recently at Minter Field Airport near Bakersfield,Ca and he beat me by less than a car length. My car is an '08 ZO6 with a Vararam and a tune, OEM everything else, with a sixty year old banging gears.
A stock GTR from a 40mph is toast. I'll agree that a GTR will make most anyone look the hero, but a well driven ZO6 can be a monster. At this race, my car hits 7000rpm in fourth right at the half mile=159-160mph every time. A GTR from a dig on the street most likely will beat a ZO6 with a typical street tire on. From a roll? I'd race a stock one anytime.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM
jwebsta32
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks

I've driven my fair share of twin and single turbo awd imports and they have power, but you have to wind them up to get to it. And the buzz of a 6 can't compare to the roar of an 8.
Dont get me wrong, I love the way my car sounds, but the 6 in the GTR does sound pretty good too! Granted its an aftermarket exhaust....

Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Since I think the GTR is butt ugly.....I wll not have one....A Ford Edel, either. It's butt ugly, too.
Besides all that....I can't afford it. If I was going to go with that much money, it would be something that I thought was very very good looking.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 to GT-R guys, or Vette and GT-R owners?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 PM
NotAnExpert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by jwebsta32
Dont get me wrong, I love the way my car sounds, but the 6 in the GTR does sound pretty good too! Granted its an aftermarket exhaust....
Thank for the video. Before I was picturing the car in my head and thought I actually liked it. But after the video I realize how much the car is a 6 bangin vette wanna be. The rear end, the slits on the front fenders, the attempt to sound like a v8. That car is not as attractive as I was remembering.

For the money add a twin turbo set up to the z and play with that until the c7 z comes. TT z06 beats a gt-r all day long.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbosixx
Here's a good read.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-with-gtr.html

I spent last weekend in Houston for TX2k13 with my friend and his GTR. This event is GTR oriented, so there's plenty in attendance. Got to talk to few other GTR owners about mods and stuff. Seems as though you can put a GTR in the mid 10's fairly easily with just bolt ons and E85. Doesn't affect drivability at all and will damn near run that on the street. This sounds great but the cost for these mods are not cheap.
Another thing that isn't cheap is the regular maintenance. Brakes cost like $2k, transmission oil (which is required to be replaced every 12k miles) is about $500, then there's tires, ect.
For a daily, I wouldn't do it. For a pleasure car.....I'd unload my Z06 in a second for one. A GTR will turn a complete novice into a rockstar. Speaking of rockstar, if you wanna feel like one, buy a GTR. I've never seen a car attract attention like this car. People taking pictures passing by, people breaking their necks to get a glimpse of it. Definitely not the car to have if you like to fly under the radar.

Good luck with your choice. If I could afford a GTR I know what I would do.
Love the gtr but rock star? No way. No one but gear heads appreciate the gtr. Thing looks like a fat Infiniti. Garners zero attention from the general public in my experience.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm not made of money, so I would sell my Z now at the height of the market, invest the money, and be ready to get the new C7 Z. Motor trend was saying maybe 700HP for the next Zr1 and 600 for the Z06. Plus, I bet it will look like a wide-body sting ray. If you change to the GTR now, that car will depreciate a little, plus you'll have tax/title/fees to take care of twice. And in order to avoid the taxes on the new c7 vette, you'll have to trade into the chevy dealer, who won't give you top dollar for your gtr.
I don't know if I'd wait 2 seasons for the new one to come out either, so you might think about keeping your Z for those 2 seasons and trading it into a chevy dealer (think current vette owner discount/incentive). In the meantime, do some fun stuff to it and drive it hard!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 to GT-R guys, or Vette and GT-R owners?