Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New heads and valves. Now oil change drama with dealer..

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Default New heads and valves. Now oil change drama with dealer..

Seems like there has been a lack of head drama lately, so I will add to the weekly ritual.

Most of you have followed my posts about worn guides and being in warranty, posted here.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...hat-to-do.html

So, here is my story, as paraphrased in a PM to another member.

I was a little hesitant to take it there at first since they are aren't a large volume corvette dealer. I spoke with the assistant service manager, who says he drives a vette, and he said they would only let two of their best techs do the work. I've taken it there for the free oil changes, and haven't had any problems.

I dropped the car off, with the pictures I took and the GM message, etc.., before I went out of town for 6 weeks. About two weeks later, the service manager called and said GM wanted him to remove the heads before they would warranty them. I told them to go ahead and remove them, as I was confident they were out of spec. I also emailed him my youtube videos showing all the play in the guides. He also mentioned that if they were in spec, that I would be liable for the labor cost, as stated in the message.

Once they confirmed the guides were worn, and new heads/gaskets/etc were ordered in early February. I got a call about two weeks ago saying the heads would ship the week of the 18th (this week).

I finally stopped by yesterday (20 Mar), and met with the Service Manager for the first time. He was going to make a couple calls and let me know something today.

I stop by the dealer on 28 Mar and talk with the servicer manager, who tells me the car is ready, but they want to keep it overnight to detail, fill with fuel and verify any leaks, etc...

The next day I stop by and go to get my vehicle. It is raining outside, but the vehicle has been cleaned, but not fueled. They go put fuel in it, and drive it around. I give it a quick inspection, and there are a few scraped from the lift, etc.., which they say they will fix if I bring it back. Not a huge matter for me, as I drive the car and expect scuffs, etc.

But when I get it home, I conduct a detailed inspection, and this is what I find.

A broken oil filler cap, and 2-3qts low oil. Now, the service work order says they used 8 quarts of oil, not the required 10.5.

I pulled the valve covers and looked for the broken tabs from the filler cap and didn’t find anything. I also changed the oil, oil which was supposedly changed, was filthy for having 40 miles on it. There was no sign of the broken tabs in the oil. I even cut open the filter looking for the tabs, but nothing was found.

So the big question is, do I really have anything to worry about with those broken tabs from the oil filler cap?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:07 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by erick_e
Seems like there has been a lack of head drama lately, so I will add to the weekly ritual.

Most of you have followed my posts about worn guides and being in warranty, posted here.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...hat-to-do.html

So, here is my story, as paraphrased in a PM to another member.

I was a little hesitant to take it there at first since they are aren't a large volume corvette dealer. I spoke with the assistant service manager, who says he drives a vette, and he said they would only let two of their best techs do the work. I've taken it there for the free oil changes, and haven't had any problems.

I dropped the car off, with the pictures I took and the GM message, etc.., before I went out of town for 6 weeks. About two weeks later, the service manager called and said GM wanted him to remove the heads before they would warranty them. I told them to go ahead and remove them, as I was confident they were out of spec. I also emailed him my youtube videos showing all the play in the guides. He also mentioned that if they were in spec, that I would be liable for the labor cost, as stated in the message.

Once they confirmed the guides were worn, and new heads/gaskets/etc were ordered in early February. I got a call about two weeks ago saying the heads would ship the week of the 18th (this week).

I finally stopped by yesterday (20 Mar), and met with the Service Manager for the first time. He was going to make a couple calls and let me know something today.

I stop by the dealer on 28 Mar and talk with the servicer manager, who tells me the car is ready, but they want to keep it overnight to detail, fill with fuel and verify any leaks, etc...

The next day I stop by and go to get my vehicle. It is raining outside, but the vehicle has been cleaned, but not fueled. They go put fuel in it, and drive it around. I give it a quick inspection, and there are a few scraped from the lift, etc.., which they say they will fix if I bring it back. Not a huge matter for me, as I drive the car and expect scuffs, etc.

But when I get it home, I conduct a detailed inspection, and this is what I find.

A broken oil filler cap, and 2-3qts low oil. Now, the service work order says they used 8 quarts of oil, not the required 10.5.

I pulled the valve covers and looked for the broken tabs from the filler cap and didn’t find anything. I also changed the oil, oil which was supposedly changed, was filthy for having 40 miles on it. There was no sign of the broken tabs in the oil. I even cut open the filter looking for the tabs, but nothing was found.

So the big question is, do I really have anything to worry about with those broken tabs from the oil filler cap?

They had to have gone somewhere. Why is the cap off the valve cover?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
They had to have gone somewhere.
The wife and I sifted through the drain pan of oil with nitrile gloves.

Nothing...

So, if there still in there, where are they and how much damage can they do?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So they put new valves in an not used ones? well thats at least better than used ones. your 2 1/2 low on oil? and they broke the valve cover cap? that can cause the rubber piece to brake off inside the valve cover I would be raising hell. Damn
Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

The wife and I sifted through the drain pan of oil with nitrile gloves.

Nothing...

So, if there still in there, where are they and how much damage can they do?

Why is the cap off the valve cover?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

[QUOTE='06 Quicksilver Z06;1583522799]Why is the cap off the valve cover?[/QUOTE]

they broke it ..at least thats what I'm getting from op?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=z0sicktanner;1583522830]
Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Why is the cap off the valve cover?[/QUOTE]

they broke it ..at least thats what I'm getting from op?
That is correct....
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

[QUOTE=erick_e;1583522859]
Originally Posted by z0sicktanner

That is correct....
So you found it like that after you got home, with the cap just sitting on the valve cover and not held down by the tabs, and when you lifted it off the rest of the way, the tabs weren't there?

I'm wondering what reason they would have for removing that cap.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now let me see If I have this correct. The guy who worked on the car is one of there top notch techs?, but doesn't know proper procedure to change the oil on a Z?...WTF...You need to have a talk with the service manager...
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by LT5 John
Now let me see If I have this correct. The guy who worked on the car is one of there top notch techs?, but doesn't know proper procedure to change the oil on a Z?...WTF...You need to have a talk with the service manager...
Umm Yeah but I don't know if it would be a talk at this point
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

op the thing that would **** me off is those tabs are broke off. if they are not on top of the heads then it's in your oil system. or the tech seen this when he broke it and removed them
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE='06 Quicksilver Z06;1583522933]

So you found it like that after you got home, with the cap just sitting on the valve cover and not held down by the tabs, and when you lifted it off the rest of the way, the tabs weren't there?

I'm wondering what reason they would have for removing that cap.
I did a quick peak under the hood before I left. When I got home, I did a more detailed inspection, and checked to see if the cap was still held in place by the retainers. It wasnt. It turned right off. I know it was not this way before I took it in for the valve issue. I am an **** ASE certified mechanic.

I just want to know how much damage those broken tabs can do and how much hell I should raise with the service manager,

I will say, up to this point the service manager has been very considerate, almost too considerate. I did receive a "goodwill" payment for the amount of time the care has been out of service.

I havent spoken with him about this issue yet, as I have been traveling so much latly.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

it may be fine... but could clog oil passages.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I can't tell from the pic of the oil cap but is it broke at the base (like a corner piece of the notch broke)? I have some good close up pics of an oil cap broke to compare...not a comp right now but I have posted pics before...I'd have to go back and search.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LFZ
I can't tell from the pic of the oil cap but is it broke at the base (like a corner piece of the notch broke)? I have some good close up pics of an oil cap broke to compare...not a comp right now but I have posted pics before...I'd have to go back and search.
That would be awesome. At least I know what I should be looking for on my next oil change.

Last edited by erick_e; 04-01-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Found it. Here is a broken LS7 valve cover cap...this was from a friend of mines 09.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Well in defence of the mechanic, this may very well be his/her first dry sump car.... That being said, you'd think a certified tech would know better.

I suppose a phone call is in order. The tech may have broke the cap before he ever pulled the covers off. You never know...

If the tabs are in the engine, they probably dropped onto the windage tray. They might still be sitting there. If not, the pump would eventually pick them up, and hopefully grind them into nice little plastic pieces that will get filtered out. While this should cause some angst, I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

At any rate, you HAVE to call the service manager and inform of this so that at a minimum, you have a record of this on file, in the event something bad happens.

Get notified of new replies

To New heads and valves. Now oil change drama with dealer..

Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

There is a screen on the pick up. I doubt they will ever make it past the screen on the pickup.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Good point. Forgot about that.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Unreal
There is a screen on the pick up. I doubt they will ever make it past the screen on the pickup.
That's what I was thinking if they fell to the oil pan. I am just concened if they didn't fall to the pan, then they are just floating around in there somewhere. Maybe the lifter trays, or valley, etc..

Quick Reply: [Z06] New heads and valves. Now oil change drama with dealer..