Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another Z engine bit the dust yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cantevendrive75
My motor had 26,000 street miles on it + 15 track hours. Prior to any track hours... the rocker arms were upgraded and increased capacity lingefelter tank installed. While tracking it... oils were changed twice as often as recommended and the motor short shifted at 6500RPM.

I did everything but the replace the exhaust valves because I was unaware of the problem when I had the motor done. Had I known and/or had the shop told me about the possibility of a $20K catostrophic engine failure due to a $50 exhaust valve... I would have had the work done and my final bill would have been $18K instead of $16K and I would "likely" not be looking at replacing it with a $20K motor right now. So... $18K total cost to do it right the first time instead of the $36K I am looking at today.

Knowing what I know today (which isnt everything) my recommendation is to seriously consider replacing/rebuilding/inspecting your LS7 heads prior to track use. If your motor is out and apart anyway... it becomes a no brainer in my mind.

KV
Wow. what a tough break.

It's examples like this one which make the decision easy for many in here and ends a lot of the arguing.

Was this the one with the GT19 Lingenfelter package in it?

If so, how long had you been running it?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-02-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Cantevendrive75
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Wow. what a tough break.

It's examples like this one which make the decision easy for many in here and ends a lot of the arguing.

Was this the one with the GT19 Lingenfelter package in it?

If so, how long had you been running it?
Ya... I got a "partial" GT19 Lingenfelter package put in/on the engine. The reason I say "partial" is that even though the work was done by an authorized Lingenfelter dealer... the heads never came off the engine. Having said that... I dont know if they would have replaced the exhaust valves as part of their "complete" GT19 package or not... so not wanting to slam Lingenfelter either directly or indirectly... I want to throw that disclaimer out there.

All I know is after I blew the engine I talked to the Lingenfelter dealer that did the work and the company rep said they/he knew of a failure rate on the exhaust valves but it was so small (1 or 2%) that they dont/didnt mention it to their clients. I wish he had told me as I told him I wanted to fix "any weak links" in the motor and I had a reasonable budget to work with. Just goes to show ya... you can ask all the good questions ya want... doesnt guarantee good answers or advise. I think the exhaust valve failure rate is low for street driven LS7's... but I personally believe it is unacceptably high for LS7's that are tracked.

I bought the car with 26,000 miles and immediately converted it to a track car... so 15 track hours after having the car/motor done for $16K an exhaust valve broke and took out the motor. Pretty hard to argue about that
Old 05-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Cantevendrive75
Intermediate

I am considering a race prepped "CBM Motorsports" replacement engine... anyone have any advise or thoughts on that?

I would love to go with something like a "Katech Track Attack LS7" but the cost is absolutely astronomical
Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cantevendrive75
Ya... I got a "partial" GT19 Lingenfelter package put in/on the engine. The reason I say "partial" is that even though the work was done by an authorized Lingenfelter dealer... the heads never came off the engine. Having said that... I dont know if they would have replaced the exhaust valves as part of their "complete" GT19 package or not... so not wanting to slam Lingenfelter either directly or indirectly... I want to throw that disclaimer out there.

All I know is after I blew the engine I talked to the Lingenfelter dealer that did the work and the company rep said they/he knew of a failure rate on the exhaust valves but it was so small (1 or 2%) that they dont/didnt mention it to their clients. I wish he had told me as I told him I wanted to fix "any weak links" in the motor and I had a reasonable budget to work with. Just goes to show ya... you can ask all the good questions ya want... doesnt guarantee good answers or advise. I think the exhaust valve failure rate is low for street driven LS7's... but I personally believe it is unacceptably high for LS7's that are tracked.

I bought the car with 26,000 miles and immediately converted it to a track car... so 15 track hours after having the car/motor done for $16K an exhaust valve broke and took out the motor. Pretty hard to argue about that
Damn.

I appreciate your response and hate that you have to cover tha expense after so few hours of use of your car.

Good luck with the replacement engine.

It's a shame that they apparently thought that your stock valves were up to the task, when they were not.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

Find a used ls7 get heads done and start over.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Wise advise. I pulled my heads to have SS valves etc done even though the car was running fine, not consuming oil and my BlackStone tests were ecellent. But I track mine and didn't want to blow up another motor. Good luck

DH
Howie wasn't your guides out of spec on the engine you have now. I know you went with wcch but when they pulled them they where out correct?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Cantevendrive75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by azZ06Mike
Find a used ls7 get heads done and start over.
I agree with the "Find a <insert something else here> and start over" remark... but used LS7's sell at such a high dollar value that its not really worth it... to me anyway. The LS7's abilities have been so "over blown" that anyone who has one (that doesnt have a hole on it) think they have the goose that lays golden eggs.

Anyway... I'm outa here... just thought I'd share my experience.

KV
Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
Howie wasn't your guides out of spec on the engine you have now. I know you went with wcch but when they pulled them they where out correct?
Correct. 2nd motor had 33K daily driving miles and 24 hours on the track. Guides were out of spec. Car did not exhibit unusual noise compared to first motor, burned no oil (except a little at on track days), and BlackStone was falling all over themselves saying how my motor was perfect. I also am very careful to get oil warmed up properly and keep it full. Plus I used Mobil1 0-40 on this motor. This was also a mid 2011 build.

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 05-02-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:17 AM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Correct. 2nd motor had 33K daily driving miles and 24 hours on the track. Guides were out of spec. Car did not exhibit unusual noise compared to first motor, burned no oil (except a little at on track days), and BlackStone was falling all over themselves saying how my motor was perfect. I also am very careful to get oil warmed up properly and keep it full. Plus I used Mobil1 0-40 on this motor. This was also a mid 2011 build.

DH
Wow alot out of spec. that intake with .0052" I just got a set with .0056"on the intake side. the worst one was the exhaust side at .0141. guys that are running bronze guides ss valves or bronze and oem valves check your guides by 15k miles just to be sure.

Also that will help out the forum with the bronze results after running past 10k miles. mine are fine as far as a wiggle test goes after 22k. I'm getting ready to rebuild my transmisson next week while I'm at it I'm gonna pull the heads and get a bore gauge and get the real numbers. I'm dew for some new springs anyway I'll post up when I do

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 05-03-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Wow alot out of spec. that intake with .0052" I just got a set with .0056"on the intake side. the worst one was the exhaust side at .0141. guys that are running bronze guides ss valves or bronze and oem valves check your guides by 15k miles just to be sure.

Also that will help out the forum with the bronze results after running past 10k miles. mine are fine as far as a wiggle test goes after 22k. I'm getting ready to rebuild my transmisson next week while I'm at it I'm gonna pull the heads and get a bore gauge and get the real numbers. I'm dew for some new springs anyway I'll post up when I do
Chad

I have 7K miles and 6 track hours on the WCCH. In 10 days I will be at the track. By the time I get home I will have 8K miles and 8 track hours. I stood in Richards shop 2 times and asked him when I should change the springs (I assumed I should on some kind of regular basis). Both times he looked me in the eye and said not to worry about it for at least 100K miles. And he knows I track it at least once a month. He even became a sponsor for our local Corvette Challenge.

I'm thinking he is not worried about my springs because I am running the stock CAM.

Whats your opinion ?

DH
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 AM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Chad

I have 7K miles and 6 track hours on the WCCH. In 10 days I will be at the track. By the time I get home I will have 8K miles and 8 track hours. I stood in Richards shop 2 times and asked him when I should change the springs (I assumed I should on some kind of regular basis). Both times he looked me in the eye and said not to worry about it for at least 100K miles. And he knows I track it at least once a month. He even became a sponsor for our local Corvette Challenge.

I'm thinking he is not worried about my springs because I am running the stock CAM.

Whats your opinion ?

DH
The cam has a lot to do with it yes. but if your tracking the car I would get new ones by 50k you can change them without taking the heads off so for me it's worth it just in case. Richard is right really they should be fine. then again I've seen some springs lose seat pressure in 20k miles. If I remember right richard uses the Brian Tooley springs not a 100% sure but he uses great parts
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Curiosity got the better of me; it's been over a decade since I drove the Glen, and that was the 1967 configuration:

in a 1967 Lotus 49:

I really don't recall anything about it -- not even the layout -- since I spent much more time at Monza and Spa. I did some checking and this is the closest approximation of the original course:

The 2012 track layout has been in effect (absent the boot) since some time before 1972 (I did my 2nd SCCA driver's school there) so you didn't drive the 1967 layout a decade ago , but maybe 4 1/2 decades ago. I attended the Glen 6-hour in '67 when the old track existed. I think the F1 cars were running about 160 MPH average back then at WG.

Last edited by AzDave47; 05-06-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

The cam has a lot to do with it yes. but if your tracking the car I would get new ones by 50k you can change them without taking the heads off so for me it's worth it just in case. Richard is right really they should be fine. then again I've seen some springs lose seat pressure in 20k miles. If I remember right richard uses the Brian Tooley springs not a 100% sure but he uses great parts
Yes, BT Platinum Spring Kit

He says I'm good for 100K.

That doesn't mean I will wait that long

DH
Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM
0carlos@redline-motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We got a stock LS7 Long Block complete with like 15K easy miles on it wrapped up in cellophane sitting on the shelf. If anyone needs one, please call or PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Howie, your iron levels in your OA is a bit high. This is "normal" per blackstone for the LS7, but I wonder if it's those powdered metal (ferro-magnetic) exhaust guides before you did the heads...

My iron levels were always high (and read as normal per blackstone) and sho nuf, my exh valves were out of spec... If all the LS7's tested are track cars and eating their exhaust guides, they will all read high iron... That's my opinion, but my future OA's will tell for sure.

The OA's with only high iron were one reason I went for the wiggle test and then some.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 80atez
Howie, your iron levels in your OA is a bit high. This is "normal" per blackstone for the LS7, but I wonder if it's those powdered metal (ferro-magnetic) exhaust guides before you did the heads...

My iron levels were always high (and read as normal per blackstone) and sho nuf, my exh valves were out of spec... If all the LS7's tested are track cars and eating their exhaust guides, they will all read high iron... That's my opinion, but my future OA's will tell for sure.

The OA's with only high iron were one reason I went for the wiggle test and then some.
Well you might be right. I just changed my oil but it won't be long before I do it again. I will be testing it this time and compare it to my pre WCCH samples.

DH
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, BT Platinum Spring Kit

He says I'm good for 100K.

That doesn't mean I will wait that long

DH
Howie, Richard used BT Platinum springs on my Brodix heads.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LT5 John
Howie, Richard used BT Platinum springs on my Brodix heads.
I'm hoping they are very good springs

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another Z engine bit the dust yesterday