Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How to hack Active Handling ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Default How to hack Active Handling ?

Back at the track today, Homestead Speedway which has 2 hairpins + the NASCAR 14% banking all of which sets off my Active Handling.

I got the TPMS synched so thats not it.

I ran in Comp Mode then shut off traction control complelety & Active Handling always pops up even w traction control off

Henry told me it can be disabled by pulling the fuse but its the same fuse as ABS & I need my ABS

Active Handling seems to be set off when the car approaches 1G lateral load, I believe banking sets it off too as there is usually no banking on public roads

Has anyone hacked the Active Handling to make it go away ?

Its really cramping my style on the banking , especially bad at Daytona where we approach max speed.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 03:22 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Hold the traction control button down for 5 seconds. It will turn active handling and traction control completely off.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeCreations
Hold the traction control button down for 5 seconds. It will turn active handling and traction control completely off.
By hitting that button you just turn the traction control off, with stability control intact. You need to press and hold for it to completely turn off. Then, you'll be on your own
Old 04-28-2013, 04:39 AM
Darius
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate that it takes soo long to turn off. My 02 Z turned off instantly.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeCreations
NICE Will try that
Old 04-28-2013, 02:02 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

perfect avatar for you....
Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Beast5spdGTA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the others said, just try it in "competition mode" first, TC off is just for drag racing and burn outs with "active handling" fully enabled.

How about how to hack it for "Competition Mode +" or installing the newer 5 stage version?

I want more than "competition mode" offers, but less than what the walls at Sebring have to offer. My ***** and wallet aren't ready for sliding around turns at triple digit speeds...yet.

I'm pretty sure was hitting 1.2+Gs (on slicks) without "active handling" showing up while in "competition mode" FYI, but yes it still shows up a lot at other times when the tires get greasy and i'm probably not driving very smoothly either.

Last edited by Beast5spdGTA; 04-29-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

If its turning on in competition mode you have to also look at the way you are driving. AH works by analyzing the way you are turning the steering wheel and how the car responds to the steering input by using the yaw and lateral G sensor readings to determine if the car is reacting too quickly (oversteer) or too slowly (understeer). The system is calibrated with a small dead band that prevents it from reacting too quickly to small signals. Comp mode provides a larger dead band area so the driver can move the car around more before the system reacts. The system is calibrated for the performance levels of stock tires so if you are running slicks the lateral Gs can be higher than a street tire which would give a false input to the system since it doesn't know what tires you are running. If you are sawing on the steering wheel when you shouldn't be you can cause the system to react. If you are improperly driving through a turn you can cause the system to react.

In the first situation you either turn off AH or don't run slicks and in the other 2 situations you need to learn how to drive because the system is telling you that you are doing something wrong. Some people don't like to hear that but it is true. An experienced driver can go on a track with AH in standard mode and drive lap after lap at a very fast pace without activating the AH because the car is being driven smoothly and the system sees the car is reacting properly to the driver's steering inputs.

Bill
Old 05-06-2013, 02:10 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Another point worth noting is the tire sizes. If the tire sizes are different than stock, and more importantly, if the difference between the diameters of front and rear are different, you end up changing the thresholds of the stability control, since the difference in wheel turn speeds is one of the important parameters to the system, and it will behave unexpectedly.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Beast5spdGTA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,
Are you suggesting that "Active handling" shouldn't ever show up while lapping in competition mode?
I'm a newbie when it comes to tracking a car and find myself almost distracted by checking the display to see if the "active handling" shows up while in a turn or doesn't show up, when I think it would have, like when making steering corrections in the middle of a turn.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 AM
Ludedude
Racer

Active handling even in Competition Mode doesn't like when you trail brake into a turn to try to get the car to rotate and point the nose in. It vehemently tries to defend against that behavior...something I learned this past weekend when I turned comp mode off and gained 2 secs a lap. Ponder.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:49 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

I occasionally get a couple of quick flashes on the IP when driving on the track in Comp mode, but the intervention is very, very subtle. I've been told I trail brake like a b*^ch and the active handling never really intervenes. I've had a Z06 student with track tires and when the AH kicked in, it nearly ripped the car straight. There were all kinds of warning feedback from the car that the driver just didn't pick up on before AH did its thing.

On the C6Z, one push turns off TC, two pushes put it in Comp mode (TC still off) and holding the button for 5 seconds turns it all off. This procedure is different than the C5Z procedure. There should be no need to hack the system. I agree with the comments about potentially mis-matched tire sizes.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Originally Posted by AzDave47
There were all kinds of warning feedback from the car that the driver just didn't pick up on before AH did its thing.
This is almost always the case
Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

To the original question I would be interested to see if someone can hack the system to change the programming. As a purely hypothetical if you could program comp mode to allow a greater slip angle before intervening I wonder if that would help with folks that do a lot of trail braking. Of course, there's no telling if the system could actually catch the car if it's gone at that point.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:43 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

when i had my M3, it had MDM mode. US spec M3 was configured to give 3% slip angle in MDM mode. Euro spec M3's had 7% slip angle (most of the world thinks Americans are horrible drivers). There are simple software programs that can be used to reprogram ECU for euro MDM (or pay $20 to someone who knows how to do it). Some of the race cars (m3's) utilize the same system, but with a calibration for more of a slip angle.

I am very curious why one isn't able to calibrate the comp mode. As i said on my m3 forum, i track around nurburgring, and although i'm pretty certain i can do without any TC, that safety net between $50k car and a wall is what i want.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast5spdGTA
Bill,
Are you suggesting that "Active handling" shouldn't ever show up while lapping in competition mode?
I'm a newbie when it comes to tracking a car and find myself almost distracted by checking the display to see if the "active handling" shows up while in a turn or doesn't show up, when I think it would have, like when making steering corrections in the middle of a turn.
Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I was at the track and then traveling to a wedding and didn't look at all the threads while sitting in hotels.

I am not suggesting it should never show up but if the car is driven smoothly it can be a rare event. I have forgotten to turn it off several times and done 5 or 6 laps at speed before something happened to make me realize I left it on. Either I made a mistake or there was an issue with the tire starting to get greasy. You can tell when it activates since the car will shudder just a bit and will make a yaw correction that is usually noticeable.

The system is calibrated for the level of grip provided by the stock tires so if you have track tires which can pull more Gs AH may activate under certain circumstances when braking into a corner or trying to accelerate out of it since the EBCM has a built in algorithm that uses steering angle, yaw rate and lateral Gs to calculate when to activate. If you are pulling more lateral Gs than the EBCM is programmed to expect from stock tires you can get an unwanted activation.

Wrong tire diameters don't cause it to activate sooner or later but they can affect how the brakes are applied once AH does activate.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To How to hack Active Handling ?

Quick Reply: [Z06] How to hack Active Handling ?