Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS7 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
johnurankar
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: Creve Coeur Mo
john r urankar sr
Default Terrible 1/4 times..Why???

Very Disappointing 1/4 mile times so far. I bought this 2006 ZO6 back in March after driving one a couple of years ago. I love this car, but seeing the fast list with cars on street tires going 1.6 1.7 to 60ft trap speeds of 125 to 128 ALL stock (record 10.96 et). Either my car is a dog or these others are ???. I have Killer bee intake, Billy Boat exhaust, and a tune. I dyno'd the car at 497hp 466tq. 2 times to the track 5 passes with nitto nt05 tires best 60ft 2.0 121 mph et 12.07. Factory claims 11.7. I dropped tire pressure from 25 to 20 to 18. tried letting the clutch out at 3000 2800 2500 2000 (bit and bogged went 2.11 to 60). Huge long burnout in 2nd gear last pass went 2.0 to 60 let clutch out at 2500. Wanted a 10 second street car seems unrealistic at this point. I will get some 17" rims and some hoosier or mt tires. I think the nittos suck. The MPH is not where it should be either. Looking for advice..

Last edited by johnurankar; 05-04-2013 at 12:07 PM.
johnurankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Support Corvetteforum!
 
pewter99's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Back from Cabo.......damnit

Default

Practice...practice..practice.....

Ranger has some write ups on all his runs and what he did to get there (I think)
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
FNBADAZ06
CF Senior Member
 
FNBADAZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnurankar View Post
Very dissapointing 1/4 mile times so far. I bought this 2006 ZO6 back in March after driving one a couple of years ago. I love this car, but seeing the fast list with cars on street tires going 1.6 1.7 to 60ft trap speeds of 125 to 128 ALL stock (record 10.96 et). Either my car is a dog or these others are ???. I have Killer bee intake, Billy Boat exhaust, and a tune. I dyno'd the car at 497hp 466tq. 2 times to the track 5 passes with nitto nt05 tires best 60ft 2.0 121 mph et 12.07. Factory claims 11.7. I dropped tire pressure from 25 to 20 to 18. tried letting the clutch out at 3000 2800 2500 2000 (bit and bogged went 2.11 to 60). Huge long burnout in 2nd gear last pass went 2.0 to 60 let clutch out at 2500. Wanted a 10 second street car seems unrealistic at this point. I will get some 17" rims and some hoosier or mt tires. I think the nittos suck. The MPH is not where it should be either. Looking for advice..
Read, and join, this current thread/discussion

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ft-points.html
FNBADAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
johnurankar
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: Creve Coeur Mo
john r urankar sr
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06 View Post
Read, and join, this current thread/discussion

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ft-points.html
Thanks just did.
johnurankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
lebvette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
 
lebvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Pine Bluff Arkansas
Default

The 60' times are a bitch with the Z's, and half of 2nd gear isn't much better. I'm with you....I have never got a 60' less than 2 seconds, but I have turned in the 11's. You have to watch the short shifting. They sound like they are ready for the next gear, but when you look at the tach.....you still have a ways to go.

Larry
lebvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
jashearer
CF Senior Member
 
jashearer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Davenport IA
Default

What elevation are you running at?

Jay
jashearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
EViL427
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
EViL427's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Cypress TX
Default

You also need to take into consideration the track and weather conditions. Building a 10 second street car isn't as easy as it sounds, especially one with a manual transmission. Believe me, I've tried, and I can't drive like Ranger, but it took me ~560rwhp on street tires (Nitto Invos), excellent track prep and a near flawless launch to finally break into the 10s (10.90 @ ~130MPH). Best I could get with ~500rwhp was mid 11s. I haven't been back to the track with the car as it sits today (slightly milder cam that gave up a little on the top end but gained some torque on the bottom), although I suspect it would do consistent high 10s with some drag radials.

EDIT: Side note, my last time at the track I was getting horrible wheel hop and nothing I did could stop it from happening. It never did that before. Not sure why it started happening all of a sudden. I've since put the DRM Bilsteins on the car. Hopefully that helps.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...and-cures.html

Last edited by EViL427; 05-03-2013 at 03:26 PM.
EViL427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
adamgl
CF Senior Member
 
adamgl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebvette View Post
The 60' times are a bitch with the Z's, and half of 2nd gear isn't much better. I'm with you....I have never got a 60' less than 2 seconds, but I have turned in the 11's. You have to watch the short shifting. They sound like they are ready for the next gear, but when you look at the tach.....you still have a ways to go.

Larry

The time I went to the track I had all kinds of traction problems in 1st and 2nd on Invo's. High 11's with horrible 60', Pulls hard in 3rd to a 130 mph trap.

I didn't lower air pressure or adjust my coilover suspension though.

I need some practice and better tires.
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
0carlos@redline-motorsports
Former Vendor
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
What elevation are you running at?

Jay
This is very important. High elevation kills MPH in a big way. Specially on NA cars and your MPH does seem a little low.
carlos@redline-motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
camirocz
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2010
Location: montreal quebec
Default

make sure you take all three gears to 7000rpm and shift into 4th before the traps.If you dont go through in 4th you wont get a high mph.
camirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14
 
propain's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos@redline-motorsports View Post
This is very important. High elevation kills MPH in a big way. Specially on NA cars and your MPH does seem a little low.

For sure. Elevation for MO is 604 ft.
propain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14
 
propain's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camirocz View Post
make sure you take all three gears to 7000rpm and shift into 4th before the traps.If you dont go through in 4th you wont get a high mph.

Taking them all to 7K will surely hit the rev limiter. To improve traps start your shift at about 6700-6800.
propain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
'06 Quicksilver Z06
CF Senior Member
 
'06 Quicksilver Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propain View Post
Taking them all to 7K will surely hit the rev limiter. To improve traps start your shift at about 6700-6800.
taking them to 7k is a guaranteed way of hitting the rev limiter.

As soon as you depress the clutch for your shift when you see 7k, or even before then you'll hit the rev limiter, as there is some tachometer lag, and what you see indicated on your tach, is actuall a few hundred rpm of where you are.

also, DA around this time of year, depending on where you are, is not going to allow for any stellar times.

The idea now is to get your launch and shift points down for when the weather and conditions are good.

I wouldn't worry too much about the times now.
'06 Quicksilver Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
EViL427
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
EViL427's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Cypress TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 View Post
taking them to 7k is a guaranteed way of hitting the rev limiter.

As soon as you depress the clutch for your shift when you see 7k, or even before then you'll hit the rev limiter, as there is some tachometer lag, and what you see indicated on your tach, is actuall a few hundred rpm of where you are.

also, DA around this time of year, depending on where you are, is not going to allow for any stellar times.

The idea now is to get your launch and shift points down for when the weather and conditions are good.

I wouldn't worry too much about the times now.
Rev limiter is actually 7200 RPM. I always shift around 6900-7000 and have never once hit the limiter. The shift arrow in the HUD doesn't come on until you're close to 7K RPM.
EViL427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14
 
propain's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EViL427 View Post
Rev limiter is actually 7200 RPM. I always shift around 6900-7000 and have never once hit the limiter. The shift arrow in the HUD doesn't come on until you're close to 7K RPM.
If your shifting at 7K you are most likely hitting the rev limiter and dont even know it since you are off the throttle.

I dont know if you track your car or not but for me taking the rev's to 7K would lower my trap by almost 2mph. As soon as I started my shifts earlier they came right up.
propain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14
 
propain's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 View Post
taking them to 7k is a guaranteed way of hitting the rev limiter.

As soon as you depress the clutch for your shift when you see 7k, or even before then you'll hit the rev limiter, as there is some tachometer lag, and what you see indicated on your tach, is actuall a few hundred rpm of where you are.

also, DA around this time of year, depending on where you are, is not going to allow for any stellar times.

The idea now is to get your launch and shift points down for when the weather and conditions are good.

I wouldn't worry too much about the times now.
Yes sir.
propain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
johnurankar
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: Creve Coeur Mo
john r urankar sr
Default

St Louis elevation is 535 ft. The Nitto NT05's are better than the InVO's I thought.I know now that hammering the throttle and coming too fast off the clutch hurt my 60ft times now. Hard not to do that. It's my first time racing with a 6speed Automatics are EASY. No comparison. Also had the car in Competitive Driving mode.
In a C6 Corvette you want to be in Traction System Off mode.
Not sure what difference that would have made.

Last edited by johnurankar; 05-03-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added
johnurankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
'06 Quicksilver Z06
CF Senior Member
 
'06 Quicksilver Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propain View Post
Yes sir.
propain, how tall of a guy are you?

Is your seat position the same for street driving as it is for on track driving?
'06 Quicksilver Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14
 
propain's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 View Post
propain, how tall of a guy are you?

Is your seat position the same for street driving as it is for on track driving?
Just over 6 feet. My seat position is much closer when I am on the road course.


Ahh street driving.. sorry... my seat if further back when on the track. I like to just be able to fully press the clutch in. Makes it easier for me to shift quickly.
propain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14
 
propain's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnurankar View Post
St Louis elevation is 535 ft. The Nitto NT05's are better than the InVO's I thought.I know now that hammering the throttle and coming too fast off the clutch hurt my 60ft times now. Hard not to do that. It's my first time racing with a 6speed Automatics are EASY. No comparison.

Post the slip bud. It will help us get a better understanding of what your dealing with.
propain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page Terrible 1/4 times..Why???
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
89 ZF6 swap to a 94 auto 94vette75 C4 Tech/Performance 1 08-04-2014 12:29 PM
Deja vu Fartpipe runs 11.53@123.50mph stock 06C6Z Fartpipe Performance Results 26 07-02-2014 11:23 PM
Stock C6Z w/DR's 11.09@126.73mph Fartpipe C6 Z06 Discussion 68 03-22-2010 07:01 PM
Fartpipe GOES 10.81@130.08mph!!! FINALLY! Fartpipe Performance Results 70 01-23-2010 07:44 AM
Poor sixty foot times with 275/40-17 ET street radials? neat C4 Tech/Performance 44 07-13-2006 10:34 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Emails & Password Backup