Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Heads/cam job recheck after a few short drives - 2 issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 AM
mistermog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads/cam job recheck after a few short drives - 2 issues.

definitely have an air bubble in the cooling system. I can take off the top little hose on the reservoir and blow into it, and you definitely feel it. No guessing about it, hoses are empty and air comes out before fluid.

Also I might have a small leak In the power steering somewhere. I think its by the steering rack connections but not sure. Nothing drips onto the floor but the underside of the car is wet.

Could be because I didn't have a flare nut wrench when I was tightening them? I never slipped off but not sure I got them as tight as I should have, or over tight, I dunno?

Not too worried about the power steering at the moment, that giant cooling bubble is whats bothering me.

Suggestions for either?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Make sure it's not your oil pan gasket leaking. They are prone after lowering the pan to do the oil pump in and out.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 AM
mistermog
Drifting

Yep I went in and looked at that specifically. I can't find any spot on that that shows any signs of a leak at all. Not 100% sure I could see all the areas but it doesn't look like its the pan at all. Block isn't wet anywhere or anything either.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:46 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

I jacked up the front of the car and used a vacume pump on the small hose that comes from the coolant crossover tube at the heads until I got coolant. I then let it set for 15 min and did it again (got a little more air).

The top hose at the resivior should not have fluid unless you over fill.

You can clamp the small hose coming from the passenger side top of the radiator (before the T to the crossover pipe) and use the vac pump at the upper resivior hose.

Last edited by CGZO6; 05-04-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I've ever done with the cooling system was fill it, start the car and refill. Drive around the block and check it again. Top it off. Check again after driving a little further, top it off if needed.
I've done this to three LSx cars I've had. Never once did I have an air bubble.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 AM
mistermog
Drifting

well, I do... both rad hoses are mostly empty again so I know somewhere, something aint right.

Ive idled it and taken it out for a couple short drives in my neighborhood and it gets up mid 190 degrees and stops dead, when I just idle it in the garage I get to 203 degrees and it stops.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When you put the car back together, You should of filled the engine with coolant. I usually fill at the top of the water pump thru the upper radiator hose. Without any coolant in the engine it is tough to get rid of the air pockets.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 AM
mistermog
Drifting

I did fill via the top radiator hose and then when that was full I filled the reservoir. I don't remember how much went in total, but im sitting at right about 2.5 gallons in it now I believe, maybe a little more.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:56 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Default Air in system

I think what I did on mine with the small hose on the top of the overflow I hooked a plues suction gun to it and just pulled the air out.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 AM
mistermog
Drifting

Im going to take the car out this morning and see if I can a) pinpoint the leak in the steering somehow and b) see if the tstat opens and cycles or something.

The coolant temp gauge on the cluster or the DIC never go very high so I don't think I have an empty block or anything?

Get notified of new replies

To Heads/cam job recheck after a few short drives - 2 issues.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Heads/cam job recheck after a few short drives - 2 issues.