Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Programming Key Fob Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 PM
FastBlackSS
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming Key Fob Trouble

Hello

I have a 2006 Z06 and I am trying to program a new style key fob. The trouble I am having is, I cannot even get my car into the learn mode. I followed the instructions posted in the sticky's. I opened the hatch, the glove box, put drivers window down and put a known good fob next to the shifter. I then used the key and turned the lock cylinder 5 times with nothing. I tried it with the key off, with the start button lit green but without the "key on", I tried it with the key on, I tried it in acc mode. All several times with nothing from the DIC saying ready to add fob.

Any ideas? Thanks alot
Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

I found this method on the forum and it worked excellent for mine when I went to the new type fobs on my '07 Z. I made the new type fobs #1 and #2 and the stock ones #3 and #4. Follow it exactly and it'll work!

**************This procedure is for REPLACING the #1 or #2 FOBs not adding an additional one!!**************

Notes before programming:
- Be sure not to leave your car alone ever in this 30+ minutes procedure.
- Dont turn anything on or play with anything while it is counting down.
- Preferably keep the windows open when you start your car at first before starting the procedure, in case of any emergency.

Programming a new 2008 FOB to replace your current working No. 1 FOB and all other FOBs:

A. Start your Car.

B. With your car still running, take all of your working FOBs and place them out of range from your car, so the car can’t read them (30ft – 10m) away.

C. Shut engine off. When it displays “off – or run” press the OFF button again to take it to the off position fully.

D. Place the new, unprogrammed 2008 FOB in the glove box transmitter pocket with the buttons facing towards the passenger’s side.

E. Close the driver’s door (Make sure that you have turned the passive lock feature off from the settings)

F. Go to the rear of the car and open the trunk with your car key.

G. With your trunk still open and key still in the key cylinder, turn the
to the fullest extent and back fully five times within five seconds.

H. The DIC message will display “OFF-ACCESSORY TO LEARN”. (Note: At this step or at any of the following steps, the DIC may display “NO FOBS DETECTED” – this is not uncommon and the process will still continue. Also, do not leave your car unattended during the entire 30+ minute procedure - - your car will time out and only General Goodwrench will be able to program your new fob!!)

I. Get in the car.

J. Press the ACC button (ignition switch) which are marked “O Acc”. Not the large arrow that starts the engine.

K. The DIC will read “WAIT 10 MINUTES” and will read again “NO FOBS DETECTED” and then count down to zero, one minute at a time. (While it is counting, you don’t do anything, just wait until it has finished).

L. The DIC will then again display “OFF-ACCESSORY TO LEARN”.

M. Press the ACC button (ignition switch) which are marked “O Acc”. Not the large arrow that starts the engine.

N. The DIC will read “WAIT 10 MINUTES” and will read again “NO FOBS DETECTED” and then count down to zero, one minute at a time. (While it is counting, you don’t do anything, just wait until it has finished).

O. The DIC will once again display “OFF-ACCESSORY TO LEARN”.

P. Press the ACC button (ignition switch) which are marked “O Acc”. Not the large arrow that starts the engine.

Q. The DIC will read “WAIT 10 MINUTES” and will read again “NO FOBS DETECTED” and then count down to zero, one minute at a time. (While it is counting, you don’t do anything, just wait until it has finished).

R. A beep will sound and the DIC will read “READY FOR FOB #1” (which is already in your glove box transmitter pocket). At this point, FOB#1 is being programmed and all previously working transmitters have been erased.

S. Once your new 2008 fob is programmed, a beep will sound and the DIC will display “READY FOR FOB #2”. (Note: At this time you will want to quickly retrieve your originals fobs, which you placed far away from your car.)

T. Remove your programmed 2008 fob from the transmitter pocket and place your original No. 2 fob in the pocket.

U. When your No. 2 fob is programmed, a beep will sound and the DIC will display “READY FOR FOB # 3”. (Note: If you want to use your original No. 1 fob as a spare, you can now remove your programmed No. 2 fob from the transmitter pocket and place your original No. 1 fob in the pocket. This spare fob will be completely functional but will not have any personalizations associated with it.)

V. When the current fob is programmed, the DIC will now display “READY FOR FOB #4”. Although it is unlikely that you will have yet another fob to be used as a spare, remove the current fob from the transmitter pocket and insert your final fob in the pocket. (Note: This 4th fob, if you should have one, will also be completely functional but will not have any personalizations associated with it.)

W. When all of your fobs have been programmed, press the ACC button (ignition switch) to exit the program.

Good luck with the programming.

I have copied this from some other threads on this forum, but i have edited some points that weren't clear for me and my other fellow members who hard time like me programming those fobs. I hope that this makes it perfectly explained for anyone who wants to program the new FOB and if you have anything unclear dont hesitate to PM me..

Wish you the best

mr.algaz
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Did you get it to work..?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 PM
FastBlackSS
Cruising

Nope, cant get it to do anything after turning the key 5 times. Do these switches go bad or something on the rear lock cylinder so maybe its not seeing that I am turning it to get it into program mode?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by FastBlackSS
Nope, cant get it to do anything after turning the key 5 times. Do these switches go bad or something on the rear lock cylinder so maybe its not seeing that I am turning it to get it into program mode?
Several things can be going on. Two common ones are: you aren't turning the key fast enough to meet the 5 sec requirement or you aren't turning, or aren't able to turn, the key the necessary full 90 degrees, possibly due to dirt in the key cylinder.

Not saying either of those are your problem, they are just common problems.

Here's a discussion with two additional discoveries by members:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ogramming.html
Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 PM
FastBlackSS
Cruising

Originally Posted by RicK T
Several things can be going on. Two common ones are: you aren't turning the key fast enough to meet the 5 sec requirement or you aren't turning, or aren't able to turn, the key the necessary full 90 degrees, possibly due to dirt in the key cylinder.

Not saying either of those are your problem, they are just common problems.

Here's a discussion with two additional discoveries by members:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ogramming.html

Thanks for the link! Ill have to check that for sure! I am pretty sure Ii am doing it fast enough but maybe not far enough!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM
FastBlackSS
Cruising

Ok, just fooled with it now. No luck yet I pulled my carpet back and since Ii have an 06, I have the switch right by the key with 2 wires coming out of it and into the car. I followed these wires to a connector and unplugged it. I tested the switch with an ohm meter and the key is making the switch close.

Anyways, I tried using a paper clip at the connector in the car side to eliminate the switch and still no luck!

I have read the directions very carefully and tried several different methods but none of them yet have displayed, Ready to program X or anything!

Any other ideas guys? When I attempt this, I start the car, shut it off, have the glove box open and the hatch open, Ii then go back and turn the key 5 times and nothing. I even tried a few more times and I know I do it way faster than 5 seconds.

Thanks for everyones input thus far, Dave
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Bummer.

Okay, gotta ask, is there any chance this car was originally exported to Canada? Canada cars can't do the programming.

I suppose it's possible the max number of FOB's have already been programmed but the DIC should tell you that instead of saying "ready for FOB".

You said you went by the instructions in the Sticky. I'm not sure what those are so I'll just offer this version that is our gospel in the Gen section. What you've done sounds basically the same but might want to look over these just in case. And you'll notice it's a very long thread with lots of other tips members have discovered while dealing with various problems. And as a last thought, you might send a PM to this threads author, CClive, and ask him for help as he has helped a lot of members over the years:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

Best of luck. Keep it going here, I'm sure we'll figure it out.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 PM
FastBlackSS
Cruising

Thanks for the response! I am pretty darn sure the car has always been local acdording to the carfax. I also plugged into the car with a tech 2 and it only has 2 fobs programmed. I could program it with the scanner but you have to put the car into learn mode the same way and then program the fob!

Car has a factory radio too as I saw aftermarket radios may have trouble.

Ill read threw this link and see if I find anything. Thank you!!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 PM
FastBlackSS
Cruising

Well, I got it, I thought this post was crazy but I tried it and it worked on the first shot!!

1) Put metal key in key cylinder back by license plate. Dont turn it yet, just leave it in there for now.
2) Put old, already-programmed-and-working fob in center console cupholder
3) Turn car 'on' using start button (you dont have to start it -- doesnt matter), then press start button again to turn car OFF.
4) Immediately run (yes, RUN) to the back of the car and turn the key five times. If you physically cant get back there very fast, have a helper ready to turn the key five times when you turn car off. This should trigger the "FOB" message on DIC.
5) Carry out the rest of the fob learning procedure as normal.

This is the ONLY way my car will go into "fob learn mode". If I wait even 5-7 seconds between steps 3 and 4, my car will never go into fob learn mode, no matter how hard or fast I turn the key.

I Turned the key off and had a key in the lock cylinder ready to turn and turned it 5 times and it said ready for fob 3 on the first try!

THANK YOU for posting and giving me this link for me to read! I really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:26 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Awesome! Glad you got it!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Great!

It's amazing the hoops these computers make us jump through in various ways to accomplish the same thing.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 PM
FromStock2FastZ06
Advanced

i used a snap on solus pro to get my c6z to program the fobs
Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sigh... I was hoping your method would help me. I've spent a few hours trying to program it now and I can't get it to the screen after you turn the key 5 times. I tried doing it with acc on, car off, car started. I tried doing it by turning the key as hard and fast both directions as I can and by pulling the wire that unlocks the lock, as well as sprinting to the back after I turn the car off and still having no luck.

Not very happy at the moment to be honest.

Only the main fob has memory settings correct? Like... if you have auto exit set up when you get into the car with the #1 fob it will move back to your original position? Because I stopped using auto exit because I would have to move the seat back manually the next time I got into the car.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 AM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

anyone?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

schello?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Come on, someone must have some idea.

Get notified of new replies

To Programming Key Fob Trouble

Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 PM
DaveA
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastBlackSS
Well, I got it, I thought this post was crazy but I tried it and it worked on the first shot!!

1) Put metal key in key cylinder back by license plate. Dont turn it yet, just leave it in there for now.
2) Put old, already-programmed-and-working fob in center console cupholder
3) Turn car 'on' using start button (you dont have to start it -- doesnt matter), then press start button again to turn car OFF.
4) Immediately run (yes, RUN) to the back of the car and turn the key five times. If you physically cant get back there very fast, have a helper ready to turn the key five times when you turn car off. This should trigger the "FOB" message on DIC.
5) Carry out the rest of the fob learning procedure as normal.

This is the ONLY way my car will go into "fob learn mode". If I wait even 5-7 seconds between steps 3 and 4, my car will never go into fob learn mode, no matter how hard or fast I turn the key.

I Turned the key off and had a key in the lock cylinder ready to turn and turned it 5 times and it said ready for fob 3 on the first try!

THANK YOU for posting and giving me this link for me to read! I really appreciate it!

Thanks!
I was having trouble til I read your post. Thanks man it worked for me
Cheers
Old 06-14-2013, 06:28 PM
tt350z
Racer

I need to do this.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:23 AM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
Come on, someone must have some idea.
I know this is a couple months old but did you figure this out???? I just got a second fob in the mail and am having the exact same issues. No Matter what I do, the DIC will not go into programming mode!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Programming Key Fob Trouble