Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Oil breather or oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:07 PM
richie427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil breather or oil catch can

NEED to vent crankcase pressure an blow by what can would be best, old school or new.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:23 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Catch can in the typical location won't improve venting.

Typical breather can cause other issues, I'd use a vacuum pump (sparingly) if you think you have problems.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:42 AM
Twistedpixels
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Catch can in the typical location won't improve venting.

Typical breather can cause other issues, I'd use a vacuum pump (sparingly) if you think you have problems.
Why would you use it sparingly? I and several others run a GZ vaccu pump all the time to make sure crankcase pressure is not an issue and keep the rings sealing better and avoid blow by.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistedpixels
Why would you use it sparingly? [...]
Why limit vacuum?

Engine builders appear to believe that the lack of oil to wrist pins caused by removal of too much oil mist from the crankcase causes wrist pin damage. Some engine builders report fluctuations in oil pressure above 12", we have not noticed that on engines we have observed during testing. However in a recent article, it was suggested that the air velocity passing through the block to heads at the oil return locations causes resistance to oil flowing back to the pan, which could indeed reduce oil pressure. An air line from the fuel block off on a Chevrolet to the valve cover helps mitigate this problem as well as possibly helping to balance the vacuum in the crankcase to that in the valve cover.

http://www.gzmotorsports.com/vacuum-pump-guide.html
When I was looking at these in the past I came to the conclusion (after a bit of reading here and there) that for a stock short block street engine a max of 6-7" of vacuum would be prudent, but then I eventually concluded that for a stock engine the pump probably wasn't needed unless it saw a lot of track time.

If the oil is getting aerated there is another cool device I ran across recently: Spintric air/oil separator
Old 09-24-2014, 10:13 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Catch can in the typical location won't improve venting. Typical breather can cause other issues, I'd use a vacuum pump (sparingly) if you think you have problems.
RX can has a one way check valve that assist your PCV system keeping the pressure where needs to be. They also have a dual valve system for forced induction.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:36 AM
richie427
Racer

When I was looking at these in the past I came to the conclusion (after a bit of reading here and there) that for a stock short block street engine a max of 6-7" of vacuum would be prudent, but then I eventually concluded that for a stock engine the pump probably wasn't needed unless it saw a lot of track time.

If the oil is getting aerated there is another cool device I ran across recently: Spintric air/oil separator
read, that post with the vac. mark 09 iam am so lost it an even funny.i read some were about vac in the crank something, in the, around 8 hg ( what the ****y does that mean.)NUTTER RACING ENGINES. How would you come up with 6-7 of crank pressure, would it be better to try to keep it to or not less then 8, an not greater then 8". to get 15 hp with out any mods . Read it some were, how true, about crank pressure, A new be that has alot to learn.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:04 AM
richie427
Racer

Hell YEA with about 7 grand to top off your oil system. for 15 free hp.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:50 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

if the driver cover looks like this, run the can to this port and then on to the intake manifold.

the passenger cover should go to the fresh cold maf air bridge only.

funny how it does not have the valley port, engine may have been replaced with a truck one
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder

Get notified of new replies

To Oil breather or oil catch can

Quick Reply: [Z06] Oil breather or oil catch can