Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] More Z06 Woes....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember guys we are driving a 505hp supercar that can beat many of the best cars in the world. You are not driving a Honda daily driver built to last 300k miles. Sports cars, especially high powered models, are ALWAYS going to be less reliable than the average car and will require higher maintenance. Imagine what P and F car owners pay when their car breaks down (which I guarantee is more often). I know my car can outrun an F430, GT3, Viper, and doesn't cost 1/3rd as much to fix. Heck a GT3 Motor easily costs $25k-30K. I have a friend with a F430 and his headlight got smashed by a rock and it was $2k for the headlight assembly.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Just remember guys we are driving a 505hp supercar that can beat many of the best cars in the world. You are not driving a Honda daily driver built to last 300k miles. Sports cars, especially high powered models, are ALWAYS going to be less reliable than the average car and will require higher maintenance. Imagine what P and F car owners pay when their car breaks down (which I guarantee is more often). I know my car can outrun an F430, GT3, Viper, and doesn't cost 1/3rd as much to fix. Heck a GT3 Motor easily costs $25k-30K. I have a friend with a F430 and his headlight got smashed by a rock and it was $2k for the headlight assembly.
Makes sense and I agree to a certain extent, however my car having no track time, and if the Trans has failed with less than 30k miles that is pretty poor IMO. Sure, I modded it now, but it's 474 RWHP, not like I am pushing 550 or 600RWHP and expecting the stock tranny and clutch to last 100k. In fact, this is exactly why (despite a lot of ball busting) I did NOT do a cam or any big power mods. I wanted to stay as close to stock as possible.
This is the 2nd T56 Tranny I will have fail on me (assuming this time it is in fact the trans) in 2 different corvettes. both that are just over 50HP of stock power levels.

I guess this is why Rodney at RPM is doing so well (beefing up unreliable Transmissions) and keeps upgrading to larger facilities LOL

Last edited by FrankTank; 05-15-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 AM
CFLZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all in the engineering. You can see it in the head design down to the windows that will not index properly. I think you would be well served to sell the car and get something with a little better build quality. I was in the same situation a few months ago with my Z and got the car out of my life.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CFLZ
It's all in the engineering. You can see it in the head design down to the windows that will not index properly. I think you would be well served to sell the car and get something with a little better build quality. I was in the same situation a few months ago with my Z and got the car out of my life.
Better watch that part in bold.

Some of the folks in here don't like for people to say that, and they will swoop down on you like those flying monkeys in Oz.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Makes sense and I agree to a certain extent, however my car having no track time, and if the Trans has failed with less than 30k miles that is pretty poor IMO. Sure, I modded it now, but it's 474 RWHP, not like I am pushing 550 or 600RWHP and expecting the stock tranny and clutch to last 100k. In fact, this is exactly why (despite a lot of ball busting) I did NOT do a cam or any big power mods. I wanted to stay as close to stock as possible.
This is the 2nd T56 Tranny I will have fail on me (assuming this time it is in fact the trans) in 2 different corvettes. both that are just over 50HP of stock power levels.

I guess this is why Rodney at RPM is doing so well (beefing up unreliable Transmissions) and keeps upgrading to larger facilities LOL
Take a look at this Frank:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...nsmission.html
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CFLZ
Mind if I ask what sports car you got (or will get) to replace it?

I just bought my '08 Z06 (my first corvette), which I love, but I'm coming into this with my eyes wide open and I like to be realistic about what the Z06 is and is not.
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Better watch that part in bold.

Some of the folks in here don't like for people to say that, and they will swoop down on you like those flying monkeys in Oz.

This scene came to mind:

Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I would like to know what this turns out to be.
z51vett
Doug
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
I laffed my *** off when Flash, Mark Wahlberg, and that damn Teddy bear did coke together....funny as hell!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by LFZ
I laffed my *** off when Flash, Mark Wahlberg, and that damn Teddy bear did coke together....funny as hell!

Go flash go!

Great cheesy movie...
Old 05-15-2013, 11:40 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by z51vett
z51vett
Doug
Old 05-15-2013, 11:45 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
Go flash go!

Great cheesy movie...
Ming.......!!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Very interesting, I going to mention this if the mechanic does not , I am sure he will check this, he is very good. Also might contact Crazycowboy if I do end up needing to replace mine could save a few bucks.

Originally Posted by z51vett
z51vett
Doug
Absolutely, I will update this thread when I get an update good or bad
Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Frank, just a thought and this might be a REALLY stupid question but are you positive that you have a full fluid level in your trans? Have you ever checked it? If the trans has been low on fluid, that road trip you took could have done it in. A clue might have been that tough shift into reverse. Good luck man...I hope this turns out to be really minor.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:15 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by FrankTank
and this is my Worst nightmare come true if the case, and could very well be , Money-wise it would be stupid for me sell the car if I have to get a new trans, but at this point I am so frustrated with this POS that someone may end up buying a used Z06 07 with the head issue addressed, and a brand new Trans!! No more GM anything for me after this and bye bye Z06

I am pessamistic due to my luck with cars in the past, so I prepare for the worst (as is the case here) and if its not, its a surprise and blessing.
Frank, i could not help but smile reading how this post ended. Blessing!! Hopefully things will work out and your love for your Z will not diminish. But, if something needs fixing, its still a blessing. PS, do i need to duck now....
Old 05-15-2013, 03:19 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by JJC5
Hey Frank, just a thought and this might be a REALLY stupid question but are you positive that you have a full fluid level in your trans? Have you ever checked it? If the trans has been low on fluid, that road trip you took could have done it in. A clue might have been that tough shift into reverse. Good luck man...I hope this turns out to be really minor.
Not a dumb question at all I had all the fluids checked when the car was in the shop for the mods etc.. and everything was good, that was a week (or2) before the road trip so I didn;t bother to check again.

Originally Posted by DON T.
Frank, i could not help but smile reading how this post ended. Blessing!! Hopefully things will work out and your love for your Z will not diminish. But, if something needs fixing, its still a blessing. PS, do i need to duck now....
all good my friend we shall see!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
A Z06 isn't a supercar. ZR1 maybe but not Z06. Its still a mass produced Chevy at the end of the day that Chevy doesnt seem to want anything to do with anymore. Its sad to see because they are awesome cars, They are just unreliable as hell. I've seen more z06 engine failure threads in the last year than i care to count. Its no Honda but it shouldnt be in the shop getting the motor torn apart for a flawed head design as soon as you buy one and you sure as hell shouldnt worry about a valve dropping using the car what it was intended for.

My buddy went through this same issue with his Z06, He got so sick of fixing back to back issues, he just fixed it and sold it as fast as he could. He now owns a whipped 2011 Mustang GT that has not given him a single problem in the almost 2 years he owned it.

Get notified of new replies

To More Z06 Woes....

Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by bladex10
A Z06 isn't a supercar. ZR1 maybe but not Z06. Its still a mass produced Chevy at the end of the day that Chevy doesnt seem to want anything to do with anymore. Its sad to see because they are awesome cars, They are just unreliable as hell. I've seen more z06 engine failure threads in the last year than i care to count. Its no Honda but it shouldnt be in the shop getting the motor torn apart for a flawed head design as soon as you buy one and you sure as hell shouldnt worry about a valve dropping using the car what it was intended for.

My buddy went through this same issue with his Z06, He got so sick of fixing back to back issues, he just fixed it and sold it as fast as he could. He now owns a whipped 2011 Mustang GT that has not given him a single problem in the almost 2 years he owned it.

I don't know where you are getting your numbers from but a Z06 is not a mass produced Chevy. A Z06 is also considered a supercar.

I agree however failures shouldn't happen with such low miles. The Mustang GT reference also does not apply as that is a mass produced Ford and it doesn't come anywhere close to pushing the limits of its platform.

I think you need to rethink your position.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 PM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone who thinks the Z06 is not a supercar doesn't know the car.
With just a few mods this car will clip 200 mph. Most expensive supercars don't go much faster and cost thousands more. Just try paying for those parts and you'll love a Z.

Frank I wasn't aware that you were running a T56. I was lucky when I picked up my Z. The dealers vette mech lived just 7 miles from my house and he works on the side cheaper. When my T56 went south the mechanic told me that the second and fourth gear have always been very weak in these units. I had two choices from RPM transmission. Buy a 6060 or have my T56 rebuilt to handle 700 hp, which is what I did. It set me back about $2800.00 but I also picked up a torque tube and a scoggin dickey clutch so the cost was much more.

This may be the case Frank, but the cost isn't a killer to fix.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by bladex10

Well then, hopefully you have sold your sorry Z06 and moved on to something more reliable. Toyota builds some nice stuff.....

Quick Reply: [Z06] More Z06 Woes....