Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6 Z06 tapping engine noise

Old 05-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Arjian
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Z06 tapping engine noise

Hi everyone,

I'm from France and new on the forum. It's a mine of gold to get some informations about corvette. I also decided to register.
I just bought a black C6 Z06 2007 last month with 45000km and an awesome Borla Attak Cat-Back.

It was all good until last week, a strange "tapping,ticking" is appeared.
I was immediately coming back home to control the rockers as we all know the famous "rockers bearings" issue.

No broken rockers or bearing, but a lot of play between the bearings and the trunnion. I also decided to order a Comp Cams trunnion upgrade kit to prevent any damage from those rockers.

Ordered on sunday, delivered on friday by Fedex straight from Florida.
I just instal all those upgraded rocker on the engine today, torque it nice and clean to 22lbs/30nm and start the engine. No more "tapping, clicking" or whatsoever strange noise. But after 3 to 4 minutes on idle, the engine start to heat and the noise is back, 100% like before.

It also was not the problem. I decided to make a video and to post it on youtube to got some advices about it. Here it is :

(I put some infos in the description)

I thing on bad lifters, to me it's the only last thing who can produce that noise. Push rods are all ok, same thing for the valve springs.
And as I say in the video description, the noise seems to come from the middle of the engine (under the intake manifold) where are the lifters..

No power or engine start issues, turn well.. Some idea, advices ?

Thanks a lot by advance to all for your help and sorry for the eventual spelling mistakes.

Best regards from France.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With that sound, I'm going to say you should definitely have your lifters checked.

That is much louder and distinct from the typical ticking noise described here on the forum, especially since you already checked and replaced rockers.

Last edited by Rock36; 05-19-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:59 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

Yea, what rock said... Get them lifters checked
Old 05-19-2013, 02:00 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Arjian
Hi everyone,

I'm from France and new on the forum. It's a mine of gold to get some informations about corvette. I also decided to register.
I just bought a black C6 Z06 2007 last month with 45000km and an awesome Borla Attak Cat-Back.

It was all good until last week, a strange "tapping,ticking" is appeared.
I was immediately coming back home to control the rockers as we all know the famous "rockers bearings" issue.

No broken rockers or bearing, but a lot of play between the bearings and the trunnion. I also decided to order a Comp Cams trunnion upgrade kit to prevent any damage from those rockers.

Ordered on sunday, delivered on friday by Fedex straight from Florida.
I just instal all those upgraded rocker on the engine today, torque it nice and clean to 22lbs/30nm and start the engine. No more "tapping, clicking" or whatsoever strange noise. But after 3 to 4 minutes on idle, the engine start to heat and the noise is back, 100% like before.

It also was not the problem. I decided to make a video and to post it on youtube to got some advices about it. Here it is :

Corvette Z06 Ls7 engine noise - YouTube

(I put some infos in the description)

I thing on bad lifters, to me it's the only last thing who can produce that noise. Push rods are all ok, same thing for the valve springs.
And as I say in the video description, the noise seems to come from the middle of the engine (under the intake manifold) where are the lifters..

No power or engine start issues, turn well.. Some idea, advices ?

Thanks a lot by advance to all for your help and sorry for the eventual spelling mistakes.

Best regards from France.
Oh boy, thats not good. Sounds like a rod or main bearing from that video. So hard to tell over the intrawebs though...
Old 05-19-2013, 02:11 PM
mariofromnewyork
Late Model Domestics
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Oh boy, thats not good. Sounds like a rod or main bearing from that video. So hard to tell over the intrawebs though...
I don't think its a sticky lifter.

Time to pull the heads!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Yeah, I hate to say it, but that is also a definite possibility based on that clacking noise.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't sound good at all. I would not start it again. Sounds like its in the bottom end.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:23 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you use the stock bolts through the aftermarket trunnions?

The ones the come with the kit are way too long. The stock ones are ALSO slightly too long. Either grind them down a bit or use some washers on top of the new trunnion. The comp trunnions are thinner on the part the bolt goes through than the stock ones.

Edit... Just played the video. Sounds like something in the bottom end.

Lifters are under the heads. The pushrods go through the heads and sit in the lifter cups. The other side of the lifters ride on the camshaft. Sounds like a roller is eating into the cam to me. Could be a bad camshaft?

Last edited by jedblanks; 05-19-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:25 PM
z06 driver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just listened to your video and that sounds really bad. I would not drive it until you get some good ideas what is causing the noise.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Arjian
Intermediate

+1 for Rock36 and 240sx2jz ! As I said before, I checked all the push rods, valve springs and exhaust leaks. No problems on those 3 things..
How can I know if the lifters are bad when I got them in my hands ?
I had previously tried to push on the push rods to see if it moves down but with no succes. No move at all

Ramairws6, I don't think so, I had previously show some rod bearings issues on youtube and the "tapping" is really much more louder and much more like steel on steel.

PS: I just remember that the noise appears the day where I add 50cl of oil in the engine. This day I had checked the oil level, (at 80°C 5 minutes after stop the engine, I know the procedure) and it was on the middle, I also add some 50cl more to get the good oil level.
Could that make some bad residue rise to the surface and clog the lifters ?
Old 05-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Arjian
Intermediate

Yes I agree to not restart it before I know what's that !
Yes I use the stock OEM bolts for the rockers, the Comp Cams bolts are in fact way to long
Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Arjian
Intermediate

That's a broken rod bearing:

Way much louder than my noise and pretty different.
And as I said, my engine turns really good, idle well, revs well and no power loose or so on..!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,090 Likes on 574 Posts

I'd pull the oil filter and cut it open to look for metal/bearing debris. I agree with the others, don't run it until you find out what the problem is.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:41 PM
don7790
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I would start killing the cylinders one at a time. If the noise goes away you know its a rod. Would eliminate that possibility first.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:50 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm sorry to be a Debbie downer but that sounds like a rod or main bearing then a lifter for sure.....
Old 05-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Arjian
Intermediate

don7790, what are you meaning ? To unplug 1 spark plug at a time ?
Undy, I also have to do an oil change ?

I just see 3 videos on youtube, with lifters problems and it's exactly the same noise at idle (they don't rev it in the videos).

3 times the exact same noise than mine.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:08 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

your engine is knocking not ticking.Il y a un cognement qui vient du bas du moteur.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 tapping engine noise

Old 05-19-2013, 03:09 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Crankshaft bearing for sure. Spun bearing ,stop driving it immediately.Ca n a rien a voir avec les lifters ou le haut du moteur.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:19 PM
don7790
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Just try pulling a plug wire off the plug and killing the cylinders one at a time and see if the noise stops or gets a lot less. When the clylinder that has the bad rod is killed the noise will become less. That wont happen with valve train noise. Just what I would do if it were my car. Sure sounds like a rod knock to me.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Arjian
Intermediate

Ok I understand ! I will check this tomorrow !

Carmirocz, tu parles français ? le claquement me parait similaire aux autres vidéos. Ce que je trouve bizarre c'est que c'est arrivé tout à coup après avoir fait le niveau d'huile.

The noise is for me the same than of this 3 others videos. What I find strange is that the noise appears the same day I had check and add some oil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 Z06 tapping engine noise