Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need New Battery - swap out question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need New Battery - swap out question

Looks like I need a new battery in my ZO6. (I know about the battery lifting strap) I'm sure there's a link here somewhere but entering "battery" in the search section gets everything but..

I'm just looking to replace the AC Delco one with another one. Please don't tell me about the "gel never go bad" batteries. If Interstate or Die Hard makes a comparable battery with the venting tube please advise.

Otherwise my question:

Will I lose any settings (windows, radio stations, etc etc) when I replace the battery ?

How long do I have to swap the batteries before I do lose the settings ?

Can I leave the battery tender on while I replace the battery ? (My gut feeling says no; it might short something)

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:50 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

The only thing I had to do when I replaced my battery was to reindex the windows. All my radio settings remained intact, although I do have an aftermarket radio but I don't think that would make a difference. I always remove my battery for winter storage for up to 5 months and never lost the settings. Not sure why you would want to leave a battery tender on while you replace it - don't see any need for it.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

They sell those NOCO settings keepers which use a 9volt battery pluggin into the cigarette lighter to save settings.

However in the C6, you will only need to re-index the windows after disconnecting. All other settings will stay.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

And my Advance Auto Parts battery, came with the venting tube.

I'm sure many aftermarket batteries do now. Trunk batteries are not unique to the C6Z.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I also lost my seat, mirror, and steering memory.

No big deal to reset. Remember to save your settings.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Andydp
Pro

Thanks everyone !!

After doing some comparison shopping, I decided to get a Die Hard - Mid priced but a better warranty.

Just for ha has: without prompting, the Sears guy told me it comes with an elbow and plug for the second vent hole.

Thanks again. Always love the help we get from this site and the other Vette people.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,498 Likes on 2,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Andydp
Thanks everyone !!

After doing some comparison shopping, I decided to get a Die Hard - Mid priced but a better warranty.

Just for ha has: without prompting, the Sears guy told me it comes with an elbow and plug for the second vent hole.

Thanks again. Always love the help we get from this site and the other Vette people.
Once you get it installed and verify the venting all hooks up properly, please post the battery model number.

Dave
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Once you get it installed and verify the venting all hooks up properly, please post the battery model number.
Dave
Old 05-22-2013, 12:33 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

die hard......got to be the worst battery out there. maybe price club has one....LOL. with batteries you get what you pay for. not something you really want from bargain basement sales. these cars need a good battery, otherwise youll end up with electrcal gremlins....
Old 05-22-2013, 12:40 PM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

I replaced with the stock Delco battery and only had to index my windows. I pulled the battery, took it to the dealer in my wife's car and replaced. Probably took a couple of hours with most of it driving time.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Andydp
Pro

After removal of the original Delco I finished up with a total of five (5) "scrapes and peels" on various hand parts. (OK no jokes here...)

I used the old vise grip on the terminals method referred to here. The new battery has a handle - now why didn't they do that before ?

As requested the part number is PS 22850647; Battery, DH Gold GP 47

First of all: "to each his own". At any given time, anyone will think any product is bad. Through the years and through many cars, I've had excellent luck with Die Hard batteries.

There's a 36 month full replacement warranty coupled with a 64 month pro rated warranty for a total of 100 months (8 years and 4 months) coverage.

As stated, I only had to re index the windows.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Ben01C5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a new battery is in my future soon also. When the car sits a couple days without the tender on it the driver side window goes up and down like 4 times then finally closes.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced my battery a few weeks ago with a different brand and kind of regret it. (A Canadian brand which was supposedly compatible.)

It works fine but the battery is a shaped differently up top so the rubber strap won't fit. I'll have to find a work around or improvise.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Batt comp;artment door is removed easily by inserting a flat blade screwdriver by the left side hinge point of the door. Then simply pry the hinge point tab out of the way and pull up on door.
Also if you put a little adhesive backed weatherstrip foam down in the bottom of the battery box, your battery is less likely to shift during hard cornering.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 PM
onargaroberts
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

die hard......got to be the worst battery out there. maybe price club has one....LOL. with batteries you get what you pay for. not something you really want from bargain basement sales. these cars need a good battery, otherwise youll end up with electrcal gremlins....
This is odd to me. When I check Consumer Reports, the organization that conducts multiple and controlled tests on all major brands to quantify peak performance and endurance, the Die Hard Advanced Gold usually comes out on top.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My recent battery swap was the higher end Walmart brand unit. It had a hole for the vent, but no tube. I just reused the one from my stock battery.

Best part is, it has a built in handle, so no more trying to wrestle it out.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 AM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced mine with stock. Good warranty - 96 months. Had the dealer do it to save me the aggravation. Very reasonably priced. They said it took 2 guys to get the old one out.

Get notified of new replies

To Need New Battery - swap out question

Old 05-24-2013, 01:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
I also lost my seat, mirror, and steering memory.

No big deal to reset. Remember to save your settings.

So did I.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Batt comp;artment door is removed easily by inserting a flat blade screwdriver by the left side hinge point of the door. Then simply pry the hinge point tab out of the way and pull up on door.
Also if you put a little adhesive backed weatherstrip foam down in the bottom of the battery box, your battery is less likely to shift during hard cornering.
My car came with a battery clamp to prevent the battery from moving around. When I replaced the OE Delco battery with a AutoZone Duralast Gold, the GM factory clamp fit perfectly on the new battery.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:40 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
My car came with a battery clamp to prevent the battery from moving around. When I replaced the OE Delco battery with a AutoZone Duralast Gold, the GM factory clamp fit perfectly on the new battery.
I replaced my battery with a Odyssey PC1200. it doesnt have quite the same profile of the stock battery. Stock hold down will work its just a bit loose.
Last thing I want in any of my cars is a wet lead acid battery.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need New Battery - swap out question