Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Am I under warranty ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Am I under warranty ?

I have a 2006 Z06 with 23k miles. (No extended warranty)

The error code 0430 reared its ugly head and I took it to the dealer, they diagnosed as a passenger side catalytic converter failure and ordered me a new one. It has arrived and I'm going back in to have replaced.

I have read that by Federal Regulation, Emission components are warrantied for 8 years / 80,000 miles. But, its not exactly clear, it appears sometimes its just 2 years / 24,000 miles on some emission parts.

Hence, no better place to ask than here.... Am I under warranty for a failed catalytic converter ? If yes, are the responsible for both labor and parts ?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

AFAIK, the 2006 year only had a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty (powertrain in 2007 went to 5 year, 100,000). So I would say no, you are no longer under warranty.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The convertor should be covered under the federally required emissions warranty. I have had several replaced under that warranty. It applies to all cars sold in the US and has been around for a long time. You obviously are within the mileage and time limits since the earliest 2006 Corvettes probably started going into Service was in late July of 05. Here is what the warranty covers:

Car and Truck US Federal Emissions Warranty
The Emissions Warranty can go beyond the vehicles factory warranty. If a vehicle doesn't pass a smog check or the check engine light comes on, the repair may be covered.
The Federal Emissions Warranty can cover emissions related components for vehicles up to 8 years after the in service date or up to 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. Even though a check engine light comes on or the vehicle doesn’t pass a smog check, it doesn’t necessarily mean that a part is covered under the Federal Emissions warranty.
There are two basic types of coverage, the performance warranty and the design and defect warranty.
Federal Emissions Performance Warranty
The Federal Emissions Performance Warranty covers the vehicle if it fails an emissions test in the first 2 years or 24,000 miles. Under these conditions most vehicles are already covered under the factory new vehicle warranty, so the 2 year 24,000 mile warranty is somewhat irrelevant. However many emissions components that can cause a vehicle to fail smog test, are covered up to 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Federal Emission Design and Defect Warranty
The Federal Emission Design and Defect Warranty covers the vehicle for a manufacturing design defect for an emissions component for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles. Like the performance warranty, specific major emissions components that fail due to a defect, may be covered up to 8 years of 80,000 miles.
Parts Coverage - Federal Emissions Warranty
There are literally hundreds of parts that are covered under Federal Emissions Warranty. There are however some differences from one model year to another. There are also some differences for various engines, especially when comparing a gasoline engine to a diesel engine. There are also major differences between trucks that are over/under 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW).
Even though there are many parts covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty, there are very few that are covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles. Some parts that are covered under the Federal Emissions 8/80 Warranty are listed below. The parts coverage was taken for the model year 2007 and for gasoline vehicles under 8,500 GVW.
  • Catalytic Converter
  • Catalytic Converter Shield
  • Transmission Control Module
  • NGV Module
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Even though there’s not a lot of parts coverage for 8/80, in some cases the repairs on some of these parts could run the car owner well over $1,000 in repairs.
California Emissions Warranty
California naturally has stricter emissions standards than the Federal Government. Because of these stricter standards, California has its own coverage for 7 years or 70,000 miles. This emissions warranty is an addition to the Federal Emissions Warranty and the Federal Emissions Warranty takes precedents over the California Emissions Warranty. The California Emissions Warranty covers a lot more parts that are not covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty for 8/80.
There are also certain vehicle models that may have parts covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty that go above and beyond the normal parts coverage for 8/80. Hybrid vehicles as an example have certain components that are covered for an even greater period than 8/80.
The next time a vehicle is brought in for repairs after the vehicles factory warranty expires, don’t always assume that the repairs aren’t covered under warranty. There are other repairs after the factory warranty expires that may be covered. If a yellow check engine light comes on or the vehicle won’t pass a smog test, it may be beneficial to check with the dealership to see if the repairs are covered under emissions warranty.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-13-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The convertor should be covered under the federally required emissions warranty. I have had several replaced under that warranty. It applies to all cars sold in the US and has been around for a long time. You obviously are within the mileage and time limits since the earliest 2006 Corvettes probably started going into Service was in late July of 05. Here is what the warranty covers:

Car and Truck US Federal Emissions Warranty
The Emissions Warranty can go beyond the vehicles factory warranty. If a vehicle doesn't pass a smog check or the check engine light comes on, the repair may be covered.
The Federal Emissions Warranty can cover emissions related components for vehicles up to 8 years after the in service date or up to 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. Even though a check engine light comes on or the vehicle doesn’t pass a smog check, it doesn’t necessarily mean that a part is covered under the Federal Emissions warranty.
There are two basic types of coverage, the performance warranty and the design and defect warranty.
Federal Emissions Performance Warranty
The Federal Emissions Performance Warranty covers the vehicle if it fails an emissions test in the first 2 years or 24,000 miles. Under these conditions most vehicles are already covered under the factory new vehicle warranty, so the 2 year 24,000 mile warranty is somewhat irrelevant. However many emissions components that can cause a vehicle to fail smog test, are covered up to 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Federal Emission Design and Defect Warranty
The Federal Emission Design and Defect Warranty covers the vehicle for a manufacturing design defect for an emissions component for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles. Like the performance warranty, specific major emissions components that fail due to a defect, may be covered up to 8 years of 80,000 miles.
Parts Coverage - Federal Emissions Warranty
There are literally hundreds of parts that are covered under Federal Emissions Warranty. There are however some differences from one model year to another. There are also some differences for various engines, especially when comparing a gasoline engine to a diesel engine. There are also major differences between trucks that are over/under 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW).
Even though there are many parts covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty, there are very few that are covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles. Some parts that are covered under the Federal Emissions 8/80 Warranty are listed below. The parts coverage was taken for the model year 2007 and for gasoline vehicles under 8,500 GVW.
  • Catalytic Converter
  • Catalytic Converter Shield
  • Transmission Control Module
  • NGV Module
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Even though there’s not a lot of parts coverage for 8/80, in some cases the repairs on some of these parts could run the car owner well over $1,000 in repairs.
California Emissions Warranty
California naturally has stricter emissions standards than the Federal Government. Because of these stricter standards, California has its own coverage for 7 years or 70,000 miles. This emissions warranty is an addition to the Federal Emissions Warranty and the Federal Emissions Warranty takes precedents over the California Emissions Warranty. The California Emissions Warranty covers a lot more parts that are not covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty for 8/80.
There are also certain vehicle models that may have parts covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty that go above and beyond the normal parts coverage for 8/80. Hybrid vehicles as an example have certain components that are covered for an even greater period than 8/80.
The next time a vehicle is brought in for repairs after the vehicles factory warranty expires, don’t always assume that the repairs aren’t covered under warranty. There are other repairs after the factory warranty expires that may be covered. If a yellow check engine light comes on or the vehicle won’t pass a smog test, it may be beneficial to check with the dealership to see if the repairs are covered under emissions warranty.

Bill
Thanks Bill !

What you posted is in part what I have read before. The Dealership hasn't discussed cost with me, so maybe they will offer the free repair, I don't know. I'm going to go in within the next day or two.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

You should battle for it to be covered if they even suggest it is not covered. If they still give no reason why that part of the warranty doesn't cover the replacement, tell them you will take it to GM Customer Service and send a complaint to the EPA.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Hey Beach, miss you in the C4 section. Some members who's cars have thrown the cat code only required a computer reflash. I'm not sure what the tsb number is, but other's will chime in. Willie
Old 06-14-2013, 12:02 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 383vett
Hey Beach, miss you in the C4 section. Some members who's cars have thrown the cat code only required a computer reflash. I'm not sure what the tsb number is, but other's will chime in. Willie
Here it is: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-cat-code.html

They may still try to get you to pay so keep at them.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383vett
Hey 383vett, haven't been on this forum much lately.... crazy busy lately. No time for either Vette it seems...

Trying to get the C4 back going... new set of cylinder heads on now, just have to tidy it up and will get back out racing.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Here it is: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-cat-code.html

They may still try to get you to pay so keep at them.
On the TSB, I was aware of it.... but I think it was for 07 and up, I don't think it covered 06's..... but maybe I'm wrong. I told the dealer about it when I dropped off the car, they told me I needed a new CAT.... why I don't know. I wonder if they know what they're doing......

Normally on issues like this, I jump in myself and delve myself into it... I know how CATS and O2 sensors work perfectly, but I'm lazy with the LSX generation and will let the dealership figure it out. At least for now I will.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Nino S
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

8/80
Old 06-14-2013, 04:06 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I've posted this before...but I had the same code required the update via the TSB listed above. I am also stock in the engine department with original GM powertrain warranty until June 2014. Dealer charged me $120 for the re-program. I also contacted GM Customer Service, and they were no help whatsoever. Beware...every dealer is different. If I had been buddies with the service writer and/or tech...I probably wouldn't have been charged. Thats just the way it is with these clowns at bullchit GM dealer service.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Just as a quick update on this....

The Dealership is giving me warranty on replacing the catalytic converter based upon the Federal Emissions 8 year/80,000 miles thing. I had to remind them on this, but its all good, they were easy to work with on it.

I did tell them about the TSB on a reflash of the program to solve this error code problem that covered I believe 2007 or 2008 + cars.... mine is a 2006. I told them to look into it.... not sure they are going too, think they are just going to replace the cat and be done with it.

Which means the error code will probably come back at some point in the future, but such is life. I'll deal with it when it happens.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Beach Bum
Just as a quick update on this....

The Dealership is giving me warranty on replacing the catalytic converter based upon the Federal Emissions 8 year/80,000 miles thing. I had to remind them on this, but its all good, they were easy to work with on it.

I did tell them about the TSB on a reflash of the program to solve this error code problem that covered I believe 2007 or 2008 + cars.... mine is a 2006. I told them to look into it.... not sure they are going too, think they are just going to replace the cat and be done with it.

Which means the error code will probably come back at some point in the future, but such is life. I'll deal with it when it happens.
They replaced my cat. (left side, I think) when I got that code rather than reflash (I don't think they knew about that although mine was in the VID range, I didn't know about it then, either). That was over 10K miles ago and I've gotten no code back, so I hope you don't either.

I'm glad they covered the replacement, but they should have volunteered, they would have been happy to take your $ if you weren't smart enough to "remind" them.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I under warranty ?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Am I under warranty ?