Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2007 Z06 TPMS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

Default 2007 Z06 TPMS Problem

Hello everyone -

I have a 2007 Z06. I have two sets of 2007 OEM wheels, one in chrome and one in comp grey. I took the chrome wheels off (TPMS was working perfectly) and put on the comp grey wheels (with oem sensors in each set of wheels). Now, the Low Tire Pressure warning comes on with the light on the dash. Everytime I start the car, the warning light comes on with the low tire pressure warning message and it reads the same tire pressure. Then, at times, the tire pressure readings will go to "xx".

I had my friend come over with the TPMS tool to reset the system. We put the car in accessory mode, followed the instructions to reset each sensor starting with the front left, and the tool read the sensor and beeped. However, the horn on the car never sounded off. I have driven the car 200 miles and the warning light and message remain.

I then put one of my chrome wheels/tire next to the front left, and the tool read the sensor and beeped, but my horn never beeped either.

We then tried the tool on his new 427 Convertible (To check the tool if the battery was bad or not working properly), and the tool worked, read the sensors and the car horn sounded on the left front and then at the end.

My car is a H/C, with all the bolt ons and tuned. The car ran my chrome wheels just fine. All I did was take the chromes off and put the OEM Com Grey wheels on with OEM Sensors. Could this be because something tuning related in the computer of the car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Treadhead
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Try using a magnet along with the tool. thats what I had to do get my set working and matched up with the computer
Old 06-16-2013, 05:10 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by JG853
Hello everyone -

I have a 2007 Z06. I have two sets of 2007 OEM wheels, one in chrome and one in comp grey. I took the chrome wheels off (TPMS was working perfectly) and put on the comp grey wheels (with oem sensors in each set of wheels).....
I had my friend come over with the TPMS tool to reset the system....

I then put one of my chrome wheels/tire next to the front left, and the tool read the sensor and beeped, but my horn never beeped either.

We then tried the tool on his new 427 Convertible (To check the tool if the battery was bad or not working properly), and the tool worked, read the sensors and the car horn sounded on the left front and then at the end.

....Could this be because something tuning related in the computer of the car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi

I've been PM'ing back and forth with Chalky - I bet he's the friend that came over to help you out.

I'm 99.9999% certain that you don't have the correct tire pressure sensors in your wheels.

No tuning would have messed up the TPMS computer in your car - it's part of the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) module, and if you aren't having fob issues then I strongly doubt that the TPMS is having problems.

You say the sensors in your original chrome wheels were working perfectly. However, did they come on the car? Have you ever had new sensors installed in them?

Many forum members got new sensors, or a new set of wheels with a different set of sensors, and they think that the sensors are working great because the DIC is displaying pressures.

NO - it doesn't work that way!!! The new sensors have to be programmed into the TPMS computer in the car!!

It may look like the new sensors are working correctly, but the DIC is simply displaying the last known pressures sent by the old sensors that are the ones programmed into the TPMS. Those last known pressures will be displayed while the TPMS is waiting for updates from the sensors, but the only sensors the TPMS computer will recognize are those old ones that are programmed into the TPMS memory.

However, if the battery is disconnected (as was very likely done during your header install) those last known pressures are lost from the volatile memory location they are stored in. In that case you'll have "xx psi" on the DIC.

In your 2007, if you go for a drive with no sensors (or sensors that aren't programmed into the TPMS - same thing as no sensors) you can drive for 30 minutes, at which time the TPMS will finally decide that because its not getting any updates from the sensors that something might be wrong with the TPMS, at which time you'll get a DIC message "Service Tire Monitor".

On a longer drive with your chrome wheels did you ever get that message?

As I understand it, you bought the Comp Gray wheels that SUPPOSEDLY have 2005-2009 sensors in them.

So....I think the DIC is displaying the pressures in your chrome wheels. You do have pressures displayed - don't you???

If the sensors in the Comp Gray wheels never programmed into the TPMS, then the sensors in the chrome wheels are still programmed in. As I understand it, the chrome wheels are still in your garage, and those sensors will send signals once per hour that will update the pressures in your DIC.

If you don't have any pressures indicated in your DIC, then I don't think the sensors in your chrome wheels are the correct ones either.

Bottom line - I'd take the car (or at least one of the Comp Gray wheels) to a tire shop and have them break the bead and push down the sidewall like in this picture:

You should see a peanut shaped gray sensor exactly like the one in the picture above. That gray sensor is the OE sensor for all 2005-2009 Vettes. If the sensor is not gray, then it's almost certainly the wrong sensor for your car.

If you see a green or black sensor, those are the sensors in 2010-2013 Vettes, and won't work with your car.

If they are square black sensors they are almost certainly C5 sensors and somebody was running the wheels on a C5.

Good luck!! There's a remote possibility that your TPMS computer is messed up, but the 99.999% probability is that you have the wrong sensors.

Bob
Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hi

I've been PM'ing back and forth with Chalky - I bet he's the friend that came over to help you out.

I'm 99.9999% certain that you don't have the correct tire pressure sensors in your wheels.

No tuning would have messed up the TPMS computer in your car - it's part of the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) module, and if you aren't having fob issues then I strongly doubt that the TPMS is having problems.

You say the sensors in your original chrome wheels were working perfectly. However, did they come on the car? Have you ever had new sensors installed in them?

Many forum members got new sensors, or a new set of wheels with a different set of sensors, and they think that the sensors are working great because the DIC is displaying pressures.

NO - it doesn't work that way!!! The new sensors have to be programmed into the TPMS computer in the car!!

It may look like the new sensors are working correctly, but the DIC is simply displaying the last known pressures sent by the old sensors that are the ones programmed into the TPMS. Those last known pressures will be displayed while the TPMS is waiting for updates from the sensors, but the only sensors the TPMS computer will recognize are those old ones that are programmed into the TPMS memory.

However, if the battery is disconnected (as was very likely done during your header install) those last known pressures are lost from the volatile memory location they are stored in. In that case you'll have "xx psi" on the DIC.

In your 2007, if you go for a drive with no sensors (or sensors that aren't programmed into the TPMS - same thing as no sensors) you can drive for 30 minutes, at which time the TPMS will finally decide that because its not getting any updates from the sensors that something might be wrong with the TPMS, at which time you'll get a DIC message "Service Tire Monitor".

As I understand it, you bought the Comp Gray wheels that SUPPOSEDLY have 2005-2009 sensors in them.

So....I think the DIC is displaying the pressures in your chrome wheels. You do have pressures displayed - don't you???

If the sensors in the Comp Gray wheels never programmed into the TPMS, then the sensors in the chrome wheels are still programmed in. As I understand it, the chrome wheels are still in your garage, and those sensors will send signals once per hour that will update the pressures in your DIC.

If you don't have any pressures indicated in your DIC, then I don't think the sensors in your chrome wheels are the correct ones either.

Bottom line - I'd take the car (or at least one of the Comp Gray wheels) to a tire shop and have them break the bead and push down the sidewall like in this picture:

You should see a peanut shaped gray sensor exactly like the one in the picture above. That gray sensor is the OE sensor for all 2005-2009 Vettes. If the sensor is not gray, then it's almost certainly the wrong sensor for your car.

If you see a green or black sensor, those are the sensors in 2010-2013 Vettes, and won't work with your car.

If they are square black sensors they are almost certainly C5 sensors and somebody was running the wheels on a C5.

Good luck!! There's a remote possibility that your TPMS computer is messed up, but the 99.999% probability is that you have the wrong sensors.

Bob
One other thing about the sensors you should think about. They can reach a lot further than you realize. I have a shed in my back yard where I store my car stuff. About 2 weeks ago I had to have one of my street wheels refinished so replace all of them with wheels that had R888s on them. I did not reprogram the car and it was still reading the sensors in the wheels I put in the shed which is about 40 ft away from the car. I would use the car, come back several hours later with the system showing XXs for all sensors and the next day it would be reading pressure from 3 tires with XXs for the one that was at the repair shop.

Bill
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Thanks Bob - My friend Dave and you have been a big help. Dave is a good friend and I appreciate all the feedback. See responses below:

[QUOTE=BEZ06;1584171759]Hi

----I am not having fob issues. However, I do have a new battery in the car, and previously, I did have a key fob issue where they had to reprogram the fob as the car was not reading the key fob due to a bad battery.

---- The chrome wheels are right from the factory with the sensors and tires - My 2007 Z has 5,500 miles on it total.

---- Yes - I have received the Service Tire Monitor message each time across my DIC.

---- I never got a Service Tire Monitor message when I was running my chrome wheels.

- Correct, I bought the wheels, tires and sensors off a 2006 Z06. They still have the factory Goodyear tires on them and they are OEM, not repos.

---- The car always says the LF, RF are 23 pounds, LR, RR are 23, 22 pounds. My tires were never that low in my chrome wheels so I am not sure why the car says those readings. Then, if you drive it, everntually the readings go to XX.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Bill - Thanks for the response. My chrome wheels are in the garage right by the car (Like 10 feet from it). Could it be that the sensors are conflicting with each other?

One other thing about the sensors you should think about. They can reach a lot further than you realize. I have a shed in my back yard where I store my car stuff. About 2 weeks ago I had to have one of my street wheels refinished so replace all of them with wheels that had R888s on them. I did not reprogram the car and it was still reading the sensors in the wheels I put in the shed which is about 40 ft away from the car. I would use the car, come back several hours later with the system showing XXs for all sensors and the next day it would be reading pressure from 3 tires with XXs for the one that was at the repair shop.

Bill
Old 06-17-2013, 12:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

.....My chrome wheels are in the garage right by the car (Like 10 feet from it). Could it be that the sensors are conflicting with each other?.......

Bill
No - sensors can't "conflict" with each other.

You can have 100 Vettes all jammed into a parking lot, and the only sensors that each one will pay attention to are the 4 sensors whose ID#'s are programmed into the TPMS of each car.

When the relearn procedure is performed, you put the car into the learn mode, then trigger each sensor to get it to transmit its ID#, which is then logged into the TPMS computer memory in your car.

When you put the car into the learn mode you must hear a confirmation honk of the horn or it's not in the learn mode.

After putting the car into the learn mode you have one minute to trigger the first sensor or the learn mode times out and drops out.

When you trigger each sensor, the ID# of first one triggered and logged into the the TPMS memory is logged in as the Left Front, the second as the RF, the third as the RR, and the last one as the LR - that's how the TPMS knows which signal is from which sensor so the DIC will be correct.

You must hear a confirmation honk of the horn (double honk at the last one when you do the Left Rear). Those honks at each wheel indicate that the sensor was triggered, it sent out its data, and that data was successfully logged into the TPMS memory - no honk means that the sensor's data was NOT properly logged into the TPMS.

So....your car only recognizes signals transmitted by the 4 sensors that are logged into your TPMS - any others are totally disregarded, so there can be no "conflict" between sensors.

If the sensors in your new Comp Gray wheels were never logged into the TPMS (no honk at each wheel) then the ones in your chrome wheels should still be the ones in your TPMS memory - the sensor ID#'s in the TPMS memory will not ever drop out except when news ones are logged in, not even when the battery is disconnected.

When using a TPMS tool to trigger the sensors the tool needs fresh/strong batteries. Also, the antenna of the tool must be within a couple inches of the sensor - right up against the rubber sidewall of the tire next to the valve stem of the sensor.

However, as Tech Contributor Bill Dearborn said, the signal transmitted by the sensors can go quite a long distance. I did an experiment where I was triggering a sensor at an increasing distance from the car to see how far the signal was transmitted. I put the car into the learn mode and rolled a wheel back 10 feet behind the car, triggered the sensor, and got a honk. I continued to roll the wheel back 10 feet at a time and continued to get honks. At 80 feet I got a honk but quit at that distance - I suspect the TPMS would continue to pick up the sensor's signal at a much greater distance.

Bob

Old 06-17-2013, 01:00 PM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Thanks Bob -

When Chalky came over, he had put new batteries in his TPMS Tool. We put the car in accessory mode, I hit the key fob back and forth then the car honked. Then, Chalky was by the LF wheel with the TPMS Tool by the sensor, and and the tool beeped to identify the sensor (As you indicated below). However, I never got a honk after the beep to set it. Thus, where my problem lies - Is it the sensor or something else? Chalky tried his TPMS Tool on his car, and it worked no problem. Not sure what is going on but it sounds like I need new sensors, correct?

Where is the best place to buy sensors?

Thanks for all of your help.

No - sensors can't "conflict" with each other.

You can have 100 Vettes all jammed into a parking lot, and the only sensors that each one will pay attention to are the 4 sensors whose ID#'s are programmed into the TPMS of each car.

When the relearn procedure is performed, you put the car into the learn mode, then trigger each sensor to get it to transmit its ID#, which is then logged into the TPMS computer memory in your car.

When you put the car into the learn mode you must hear a confirmation honk of the horn or it's not in the learn mode.

After putting the car into the learn mode you have one minute to trigger the first sensor or the learn mode times out and drops out.

When you trigger each sensor, the ID# of first one triggered and logged into the the TPMS memory is logged in as the Left Front, the second as the RF, the third as the RR, and the last one as the LR - that's how the TPMS knows which signal is from which sensor so the DIC will be correct.

You must hear a confirmation honk of the horn (double honk at the last one when you do the Left Rear). Those honks at each wheel indicate that the sensor was triggered, it sent out its data, and that data was successfully logged into the TPMS memory - no honk means that the sensor's data was NOT properly logged into the TPMS.

So....your car only recognizes signals transmitted by the 4 sensors that are logged into your TPMS - any others are totally disregarded, so there can be no "conflict" between sensors.

If the sensors in your new Comp Gray wheels were never logged into the TPMS (no honk at each wheel) then the ones in your chrome wheels should still be the ones in your TPMS memory - the sensor ID#'s in the TPMS memory will not ever drop out except when news ones are logged in, not even when the battery is disconnected.

When using a TPMS tool to trigger the sensors the tool needs fresh/strong batteries. Also, the antenna of the tool must be within a couple inches of the sensor - right up against the rubber sidewall of the tire next to the valve stem of the sensor.

However, as Tech Contributor Bill Dearborn said, the signal transmitted by the sensors can go quite a long distance. I did an experiment where I was triggering a sensor at an increasing distance from the car to see how far the signal was transmitted. I put the car into the learn mode and rolled a wheel back 10 feet behind the car, triggered the sensor, and got a honk. I continued to roll the wheel back 10 feet at a time and continued to get honks. At 80 feet I got a honk but quit at that distance - I suspect the TPMS would continue to pick up the sensor's signal at a much greater distance.

Bob

Old 06-17-2013, 03:19 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Bob -

When Chalky came over, he had put new batteries in his TPMS Tool. We put the car in accessory mode, I hit the key fob back and forth then the car honked. Then, Chalky was by the LF wheel with the TPMS Tool by the sensor, and and the tool beeped to identify the sensor (As you indicated below). However, I never got a honk after the beep to set it. Thus, where my problem lies - Is it the sensor or something else? Chalky tried his TPMS Tool on his car, and it worked no problem. Not sure what is going on but it sounds like I need new sensors, correct?

Where is the best place to buy sensors?

Thanks for all of your help.
If you couldn't get a honk of the horn when triggering the sensor with the car in the learn mode, that would indicate with about a 99.9999% certainty that the sensors in those wheels are not the correct sensors.

I happen to have a couple sets of new sensors for a 2005-2009 C6 available for $140 shipped for a set of 4 sensors:

These are brand new sensors - new sensors come just as you see above with the rubber grommet, valve stem core, and valve stem cap.

They DO NOT come with a retaining nut. You can use the ones that are holding the current sensors in the wheels. If you need new ones I can provide a set of 4 of them for an additional $5.

But, before you buy some from anywhere I think you need to just simply make sure what sensors are in your new wheels!!!!!!

All you need to do is take one of the wheels to your local tire shop and have them break the bead and push it down like you see in the picture in post# 3.

That way you can see the sensor and you'll know what you're dealing with. I bet the wheels came on a 2010 or newer C6 and the sensors will be green or black.

BTW, I have Comp Gray wheels on my 2009. It came with chrome, and IIRC, the only wheels available up until then were silver painted, polished, or chrome. I know on my 2006 they didn't initially have chromes available, so I got a set off a 2007 when chrome was available the next year.

For my 2009, when they came out the next year, I got a set of Comp Gray wheels, bought a set of the gray 2005-2009 sensors, bought a set of tires, and that way I new I had the correct sensors for my model year.

So.....if those Comp Gray wheels you have originally came on a 2010 or newer car, the sensors that were put into them at the factory will not work with the TPMS in your 2007 - the factory installed sensors would be either the green or black ones, and your 2007 requires the gray sensors like in the picture above.

If you determine that the sensors in those wheels are NOT 2005-2009 sensors, I'll be glad to send you a set that will work in your car.

Bob
Old 06-17-2013, 04:09 PM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Thanks Bob - I sent you a PM

If you couldn't get a honk of the horn when triggering the sensor with the car in the learn mode, that would indicate with about a 99.9999% certainty that the sensors in those wheels are not the correct sensors.

I happen to have a couple sets of new sensors for a 2005-2009 C6 available for $140 shipped for a set of 4 sensors:

These are brand new sensors - new sensors come just as you see above with the rubber grommet, valve stem core, and valve stem cap.

They DO NOT come with a retaining nut. You can use the ones that are holding the current sensors in the wheels. If you need new ones I can provide a set of 4 of them for an additional $5.

But, before you buy some from anywhere I think you need to just simply make sure what sensors are in your new wheels!!!!!!

All you need to do is take one of the wheels to your local tire shop and have them break the bead and push it down like you see in the picture in post# 3.

That way you can see the sensor and you'll know what you're dealing with. I bet the wheels came on a 2010 or newer C6 and the sensors will be green or black.

BTW, I have Comp Gray wheels on my 2009. It came with chrome, and IIRC, the only wheels available up until then were silver painted, polished, or chrome. I know on my 2006 they didn't initially have chromes available, so I got a set off a 2007 when chrome was available the next year.

For my 2009, when they came out the next year, I got a set of Comp Gray wheels, bought a set of the gray 2005-2009 sensors, bought a set of tires, and that way I new I had the correct sensors for my model year.

So.....if those Comp Gray wheels you have originally came on a 2010 or newer car, the sensors that were put into them at the factory will not work with the TPMS in your 2007 - the factory installed sensors would be either the green or black ones, and your 2007 requires the gray sensors like in the picture above.

If you determine that the sensors in those wheels are NOT 2005-2009 sensors, I'll be glad to send you a set that will work in your car.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 Z06 TPMS Problem

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2007 Z06 TPMS Problem