Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 40k Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:32 PM
JohnnyBoy83
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40k Maintenance?

Just wondering what maintenance is needed at 40K miles? Besides oil change lol
Old 06-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All fluids (except clutch & windshield washer).

Clutch fluid (Ranger method, at least what is in the reservoir)

Cabin air filter.

Engine air filter (maybe).

Sway bar end links (grease).

Brake pads/rotors (inspect).

Wiggle test.

Rear spindle nuts (verify tight).

That should keep you busy for the weekend

Last edited by Mark2009; 06-21-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:10 PM
mariofromnewyork
Late Model Domestics
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

What year is the Car?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 PM
JohnnyBoy83
Instructor

Thanks Mark.

It's a 2009 Z.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

To get to the cabin air filter, on the pass. side of the firewall in the engine bay, I think I had to remove a line to the oil tank. It has a slip/clip fitting, no big deal, but it was still a bear to slide that filter in there. My old filter had leaves and crap in it.

Rear axle nuts, I just gave mine a twist by hand while tires were being changed. Not too high tech but they seemed tight and that was that. It may be cars earlier than 2009 that had this issue.

Power steering fluid, a quickie oil change place can probably do that (they have a machine). If you track your car you might want to bring your own (better) fluid, if they'll let you do that.

Tranny and diff fluid and coolant you can do yourself. You'll only be able to get about two-thirds of the coolant out with a simple drain procedure, but that's close enuf for the marginally motivated (like me).

Brake fluid you might as well do yourself unless you can find a GM tech that knows how to do it with the Tech II (bleeds the ABS unit too). Each caliper has two bleeders, so enjoy
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
To get to the cabin air filter, on the pass. side of the firewall in the engine bay, I think I had to remove a line to the oil tank. It has a slip/clip fitting, no big deal, but it was still a bear to slide that filter in there. My old filter had leaves and crap in it.

Rear axle nuts, I just gave mine a twist by hand while tires were being changed. Not too high tech but they seemed tight and that was that. It may be cars earlier than 2009 that had this issue.

Power steering fluid, a quickie oil change place can probably do that (they have a machine). If you track your car you might want to bring your own (better) fluid, if they'll let you do that.

Tranny and diff fluid and coolant you can do yourself. You'll only be able to get about two-thirds of the coolant out with a simple drain procedure, but that's close enuf for the marginally motivated (like me).

I think you meant to grease the Zirc fittings on the rear toe links. I agree. The OM calls for greasing these before each track event. sway bar links don't have greasable fittings.

Brake fluid you might as well do yourself unless you can find a GM tech that knows how to do it with the Tech II (bleeds the ABS unit too). Each caliper has two bleeders, so enjoy
My 09 had loose axle nuts. The new torque is 160 lb-ft. GM recommends a new nut and red Locktight (#272?) although my retorque of the old nut has held . If it loosens up I will replace it and red Locktight it.

Last edited by AzDave47; 06-21-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 PM
mariofromnewyork
Late Model Domestics
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

No need to remove anything to replace the cabin air filter, just pull the cover.

I would replace all fluids as your coming up on the 5 year mark.

Mark is spot on.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AzDave47
My 09 had loose axle nuts. [...]
Thank you for that verification, Dave

I was going from memory, which is sometimes foggy and often dangerous
Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
JohnnyBoy83
Instructor

Thanks Mark and the everyone else. I like to do my own work, but didn't know exactly where to start.

Another question. Off topic, but since you guys are highly knowledgable. When I accelerate my Z getting on the freeway or at a quick rate, I smell rubber burning. Seems to be coming from the engine bay. I was thinking maybe the fan belt. Any ideas?

Are they hard to replace? Or can they maitnanced? i.e. oiled.

Get notified of new replies

To 40k Maintenance?

Quick Reply: [Z06] 40k Maintenance?