Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Remote Clutch Bleeder ?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Wait until it needs a clutch to do a bleeder. Yes the TT needs to come out to install it.

First time out of the box there was a burr in the a/n fitting that made it leak so it wouldn't bleed. Had to have the end redone at a local place to get it to seal. 2nd time the machined fitting that screws into the slave broke in 1/2.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:34 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Wait until it needs a clutch to do a bleeder. Yes the TT needs to come out to install it.

First time out of the box there was a burr in the a/n fitting that made it leak so it wouldn't bleed. Had to have the end redone at a local place to get it to seal. 2nd time the machined fitting that screws into the slave broke in 1/2.

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. Twice. No problems with the Katech bleeder.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Had a Tick one fail on me a month or so ago on my F-Body. Really liked having a speed bleeder but am worried about installing one again and having it fail. I'm doing a Tranny/Clutch swap in 2 weeks.

Has the Katech Bleeder ever failed anyone?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So I hope the Katech version is GTG than? If they aren't failing I may just have to put one in during the Trans/Clutch install...
Old 07-16-2013, 02:10 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I hesitate to suggest a Rube Goldberg cheapy Camaro fix in this exalted forum, but I had a similar problem on my LS2 402 equipped 98 Camaro and resorted to a mityvac pulling vacuum from the bottom of the clutch fluid reservoir. Worked well on my Spec 3 clutch.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:57 AM
BBM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
We offer a few as well. I recommend the speed bleeder as it has a one way check valve built in making it a one person job and it reaches all the way to the engine compartment so you can access it remotely without jacking up the car, just be sure you secure it.
http://www.monsterclutches.com/shop/...edbleeder.html
I am having a strange problem with my 07, C6. The clutch was not disengaging perfect and I checked the fluid which was very dark and had black particles in it. So I did the ranger method many times until fluid was clean. Now there is no freeplay and the clutch slips in upper gears with just slight throttle. The slippage is almost like it has a torque convertor, it starts to slip a little , then stops and engages. If I'm in 2nd gear, give it just a little throttle, no more than 1/4, it breaks the 14.5" street slicks loose and starts fishtailing as usual, Twin Turbo, twin disc clutch. It was not slipping before fluid change. I have left cap loose to see if trapped air or fluid too high could have caused this, but still the same. I never get on this car or ever abuse the clutch, it is a street car, daily driver and way too fast to drive it hard on the street. Any help will be greatly appreciated. barrybmayo@gmail.com
Old 08-30-2014, 01:01 PM
VettRick
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
The car is brand new. I'm not going to change the clutch....
I agree...not anywhere near worth it. Just change the fluid in the reservoir every few months. With any luck, it will outlive you.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:55 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Someone said you could reach the bleeder with a small wrench (driver's side) and thin arms without removing anything. I have thin arms and tried various ways for 15 minutes with the car on jack stands to find the bleeder screw with no luck. Some say you need to drop the cat.and/or midpipe.

Given the work, save it for a list item when/if you change your clutch. I've driven manuals for 50 years and have yet to change a clutch on any of my cars due to wear, street driven or race only.
no way is the stock bleeder accessible without taking the car apart. some guys say it can be done, I cant even see it. I do believe some years might be slightly different and easier to access. im not sure
Old 08-31-2014, 03:28 AM
Mark Wade
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
Are there other remote clutch bleeder alternatives beyond the KaTech solution that you would recommend ?

http://store.katechengines.com/c6-re...-kit-p96.aspx\
I made my own up ,modified the original piece that comes off slave then ridged line up to top then flexible line with bleeder on the end , works great ,when you live in new zealand you have to make things , no one sells that stuff down here , but the katech would be my choice if i lived up there
Old 09-03-2016, 12:41 AM
dave1234
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Default How do you know yours has failed?

Originally Posted by Unreal
Had a tick break twice, went katech and not looking back. Well worth the extra money.

I think my bleeder from tick is leaking at the tip while I drive. If you tap the tip on something, fluid comes out.
Also the plastic floor that sits below the tip of the bleeder is wet like its been getting fluid regularly.

I am having issues with my clutch system right now. It seems like Im only getting the clutch to disengage 70-90% based upon if its been ten minutes since I bled, or an hour.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by dave1234; 09-03-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:48 AM
dave1234
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dave1234
What broke on yours?
I think my bleeder from tick is leaking at the tip while I drive. If you tap the tip on something, fluid comes out.
Also the plastic floor piece that you remove to gain access to the master cylinder area, is wet.

I am having issues with my clutch system right now. It seems like Im only getting the clutch to disengage 70-90% based upon if its been ten minutes since I bled, or an hour.

Thanks
Dave
The other thing I have going on is you can hear something rattling between 1200-1800 rpms. The mechanic says he thinks one of the fingers on the clutch is broken or loose. The whole setup was replaced a year ago.
(I think this is what happens when you let friends take a turn behind the wheel and they dont know how to drive a clutch real well anymore.)

Im also curious if this is my issue on why Im not getting full disengagment of the clutch.
First thing Im going to do is contact tick about getting a new tip for my bleeder that is leaking.

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Remote Clutch Bleeder ?