Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Remote Clutch Bleeder ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Remote Clutch Bleeder ?

Are there other remote clutch bleeder alternatives beyond the KaTech solution that you would recommend ?

http://store.katechengines.com/c6-re...-kit-p96.aspx\
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
Are there other remote clutch bleeder alternatives beyond the KaTech solution that you would recommend ?

I've had the Tick remote bleeder for almost a year, no issues. Others have as had good success with it too.

That said, one member in here did have issues with it.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Nate B
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would get the katech bleeder. It is smaller and doesnt hit the bottom of the car like most of the others. Heard to many stories and have experienced a few bleeders leaking in the past. Put the katech bleeder on and problem fixed
Old 07-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I had the East Coast Performance Bleeder installed when my engine was replaced in Oct. 11. Have around 9K miles on the car since I got it back and the bleeder is doing fine. Actually used it this year to bleed the clutch and it worked great. Took about 15 minutes to do the job from opening the hood to closing it. Although there isn't much fluid in the system it did take quite a few refills of the reservoir to get the fluid to come out clear.

Bill
Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

We offer a few as well. I recommend the speed bleeder as it has a one way check valve built in making it a one person job and it reaches all the way to the engine compartment so you can access it remotely without jacking up the car, just be sure you secure it.
http://www.monsterclutches.com/shop/...edbleeder.html
Old 07-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I spent about a day looking into this a while back, didn't get one because I was not planning to pull the driveline out, but found the Katech version to be the one that no one had any issues with. There are other versions, some had issues, maybe some didn't. Usual issue sticking up and hitting the tunnel, causing leakage or other problems.

You can see the Katech unit would not have that issue. It also includes a speed bleeder, according to the description.

Of course the Katech is the most expensive. Considering the effort expended in just getting access to the area, if it were me I'd spend the money. You might save a few bucks on something else that might work fine. Then maybe not... 'tis not a job I'd want to do over
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Katech, well designed and made. Installed it and have never looked back. Do it right the first time was my approach. Leaking, faulty or problematic parts can result in a timely or expensive redo.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Someone said you could reach the bleeder with a small wrench (driver's side) and thin arms without removing anything. I have thin arms and tried various ways for 15 minutes with the car on jack stands to find the bleeder screw with no luck. Some say you need to drop the cat.and/or midpipe.

Given the work, save it for a list item when/if you change your clutch. I've driven manuals for 50 years and have yet to change a clutch on any of my cars due to wear, street driven or race only.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 PM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using a tick remote bleeder. It works great and it takes minutes to do it all solo.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
We offer a few as well. I recommend the speed bleeder as it has a one way check valve built in making it a one person job and it reaches all the way to the engine compartment so you can access it remotely without jacking up the car, just be sure you secure it.
http://www.monsterclutches.com/shop/...edbleeder.html
Do you folks have the installation instructions that I could take a look at prior to purchase ?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Had a tick break twice, went katech and not looking back. Well worth the extra money.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Unreal
Had a tick break twice, went katech and not looking back. Well worth the extra money.
Do you have the Katech installation instructions that you can share with me ?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Do you folks have the installation instructions that I could take a look at prior to purchase ?
I do not as most install it at the same time as they put in a clutch and just remove the bleeder screw from the slave while the torque tube is out. Have personally never tried installing one with everything together. I have heard of guys doing it in other LS platforms, but I believe they had to drill a hole in the bellhousing. The C5 is the only one it'd be somewhat easy to do being a 2-piece design.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Remove factory bleeder, screw in new new, route to top of engine bay. As simple as that.

Torque tube needs to be out. If you want instructions on how to do that, then look up how to swap a clutch.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Remove factory bleeder, screw in new new, route to top of engine bay. As simple as that.

Torque tube needs to be out. If you want instructions on how to do that, then look up how to swap a clutch.
Installing the remote bleeder is not a stand-alone project, You have to have some reason to remove the exhaust mid-pipes, torque tube and other stuff.

One forum member says you can reach that bleeder screw without taking anything off if you have slim arms. I have slim arms and tried every way I could to get my hand ( both left and right, one at a time) up where the bleeder fitting is. After 15 minutes, I still had not found it. Even if I had I don't think I could have manipulated a small wrench up there and certainly not installed a remote bleeder.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

So you have to drop the exhaust and torque tube to get access to the clutch slave cylinder, is that right ?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:31 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

what broke on the tick bleeder??
just curious as i am having a hell of a time getting my system bled

Get notified of new replies

To Remote Clutch Bleeder ?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

So you have to drop the exhaust and torque tube to get access to the clutch slave cylinder, is that right ?
Removing the exhaust mid pipe and tunnel plate is what is recommended to gain access to the bleeder screw. If you're going through all the trouble of taking the torque tube out you might as well be swapping the clutch.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Get the Katech. I had other bleeders, and both broke by binding in tunnel insulation. Second time cost me $1100 (not including the tow) to get the clutch fixed because the driveline had to come back out. Katech = one and done.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:36 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Removing the exhaust mid pipe and tunnel plate is what is recommended to gain access to the bleeder screw. If you're going through all the trouble of taking the torque tube out you might as well be swapping the clutch.
The car is brand new. I'm not going to change the clutch....

Quick Reply: [Z06] Remote Clutch Bleeder ?