Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] E-Force, Service Traction Control, Service Active Handling, hard starting, and more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:24 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Default E-Force, Service Traction Control, Service Active Handling, hard starting, and more.

To summarize, battery was disconnected for 5 days while installing my E-Force. Car wouldn’t start upon installation. Charged battery overnight and all was fine the next day.

Two months later, a lot of hot weather, and the car won't start after sitting overnight. So I replace the 4 year old battery. As soon as I install the new battery and start the car the Service Traction Control/Service Active Handling illuminates. I write it off as an anomaly, restart the car without any problems and the light goes away.

So now, one month after the battery install, the car starts to randomly exhibit hard starts (just clicking noises) without starting. And randomly exhibits the Service Traction Control/Service Active Handling. Of course you must troubleshoot these codes when present, as they go away after restarting the vehicle. And I recently had a P0174 and P0420 or P0430 lean bank code (I forget which one).

So today I hook up the Tech 2 while the Service Active Handling/Service Traction Control is present, and here are the results.

EBCM
C0561 Symptom 71
System Disabled Information Stored
Invalid Serial Data Received
DTC Occurrences =2
Ignition Cycles since DTC L =0
Invalid Signals = none
LF Wheel Speed Sensor = 0 mph
RF Wheel Speed Sensor = 0 mph
LR Wheel Speed Sensor = 0 mph
RR Wheel Speed Sensor = 0 mph
ABS active = no
DRP active = no
VSES active = no
TCS active = no
Stop lamp switch = applied
TCS on/off status = off
VSES on/off switch = inactive
Longitude Accelerometer = 0.00 g
Lateral Accelerometer = 0.05 g
Yaw rate sensor = 0.0`/sec
Steering position sensor = -6`
Brake pressure sensor = 290 psi

I also used the Tech 2 to identify a misfire in cylinder 7, which may have lead to the P0174 code previously mentioned.

So what the hell is going on?

I had the alternator checked at AutoZone after the battery was installed, but sometimes the voltage dips to 12.1-12.5 when running hot, and at an idle. THIS IS USUALLY WHEN THE ACTIVE HANDLING DTC IS ACTIVATED. For the most part the voltage is at 14 plus volts when recently started, and usually drops after running and getting warm and stays around 13.1-13.3v. Is my alternator going bad? And if so, why would that cause the clicking, and no start symptoms?

UGH...

Last edited by erick_e; 07-08-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Double check the plug wire on #7. I had a faulty wire on my GS and the Service Active Handling and Traction Control errors would pop on mine. As soon as the wire was replaced no more error messages.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:19 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by B y r o n
Double check the plug wire on #7. I had a faulty wire on my GS and the Service Active Handling and Traction Control errors would pop on mine. As soon as the wire was replaced no more error messages.
I finally got around to swapping the plug wire. It didn’t work.

Then swapped plugs with another cylinder. It didn’t work.

Changed the alternator, and new battery, and it appears to have fixed the Service Traction Control error.

However, I still get a significant amount of mis-fires on cylinder 7, and what appears to be the whole left bank. Cylinder 7 has a lot mis-fires more than the other cylinders in that bank.

For what it's worth Cylinder 7, really seems to mis-fire around 1600 RPM.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM
gaklid
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they swap out the plugs or re-gap them during the eforce install?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:06 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gaklid
Did they swap out the plugs or re-gap them during the eforce install?
No, but new plugs were installed less than a month earlier. Factory 41-104 Iridium plugs were used. I don't think its a plug issues, as swapping them around doesn't seem to change the mis-fires on cylinder 7.

Get notified of new replies

To E-Force, Service Traction Control, Service Active Handling, hard starting, and more.

Quick Reply: [Z06] E-Force, Service Traction Control, Service Active Handling, hard starting, and more.