Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Widow cam/WCCH-X results

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the car. And search up nic d and his tuning than say the tune needs to be checked. This cam has been used by others in az and it gives up a lot down low. But this is corvette forum the land of over inflated dyno numbers.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 PM
SlowVet05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadTurner
I think there is something else going on with the tune. . I had the widow-r installed with stock manifolds (NO CATS) and stock intake snd made around 540.. check tune..
I'm leaning towards this too. Carlos actually gave me a call yesterday and we talked for over an hour about my setup.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:57 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowVet05
I agree and that's why I chose the combo. Dozens of Widow/WCCH setups out there making great numbers. I don't remember the member but there's a guy in Texas making I think 600rwhp on 90 octane with this cam.
That guy would be me. I only had access to 90 octane in Lubbock,TX. I recently went with 13:8 compression and E85 and the car laid down 645rwhp and traps 142 in the 1/4. It was nice to not have fuel be a limiting factor in my setup.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoeAZHP
There is nothing wrong with the car. And search up nic d and his tuning than say the tune needs to be checked. This cam has been used by others in az and it gives up a lot down low. But this is corvette forum the land of over inflated dyno numbers.
My Widow cam car has always made over 500rwtq from 3500-7000rpm and peaking at ~575. I have a couple threads on here ranging from when I first did the widow cam and milled heads to when I added a FAST 102 and then when I did the compression bump and ethanol. If all the AZ guys using the cam all have low numbers and you all like the same tuner, well, that seems to be the common denominator. Although, it seems to me that the OP's car may have have a clogged cat(s) or the clutch may be slipping on the dyno. Seen those two things stump lots of guys who thought the problem was in the motor or tune. He should be making 550 easy and over 500rwtq

O and the land of inflated dyno numbers is supra forums...

Last edited by EX1; 07-21-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:43 PM
SlowVet05
Racer

Originally Posted by EX1
My Widow cam car has always made over 500rwtq from 3500-7000rpm and peaking at ~575. I have a couple threads on here ranging from when I first did the widow cam and milled heads to when I added a FAST 102 and then when I did the compression bump and ethanol. If all the AZ guys using the cam all have low numbers and you all like the same tuner, well, that seems to be the common denominator. Although, it seems to me that the OP's car may have have a clogged cat(s) or the clutch may be slipping on the dyno. Seen those two things stump lots of guys who thought the problem was in the motor or tune. He should be making 550 easy and over 500rwtq

O and the land of inflated dyno numbers is supra forums...
Yep, it was you. Nice car by the way...I've been using it as a sort of outline. I'm going to install some headers in the next few weeks and have Carlos remote tune it. If I make what these other guys are making around the country we'll know the issue. If not, then I'll take back my doubts about the tune.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:59 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Yep, it was you. Nice car by the way...I've been using it as a sort of outline. I'm going to install some headers in the next few weeks and have Carlos remote tune it. If I make what these other guys are making around the country we'll know the issue. If not, then I'll take back my doubts about the tune.
Thanks man. Check out your factory cats after you install the new headers. They tend to fail when you start bolting on power. It had happened to multiple members. What clutch are you running? I think you will like Carlos's tune.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 AM
SlowVet05
Racer

Originally Posted by EX1
Thanks man. Check out your factory cats after you install the new headers. They tend to fail when you start bolting on power. It had happened to multiple members. What clutch are you running? I think you will like Carlos's tune.
Stock clutch, car has right at 30k miles. I'll definitely take a look at the cats when we pull them off. I just looked up your post, you made 597rwhp on 90 octane. That's awesome. I mirrored your setup as best I could, I'm just missing the FAST/NW so hopefully I can make within 25rwhp or so of that. I'll have to start saving up for a clutch after all this is done. I'm sure that'll be next.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 AM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Stock clutch, car has right at 30k miles. I'll definitely take a look at the cats when we pull them off. I just looked up your post, you made 597rwhp on 90 octane. That's awesome. I mirrored your setup as best I could, I'm just missing the FAST/NW so hopefully I can make within 25rwhp or so of that. I'll have to start saving up for a clutch after all this is done. I'm sure that'll be next.

You positive your clutch isn't slipping under the new power? The NW is only if you are trying to squeeze out every last drop of N/A power. The headers and FAST really let the cam shine. Shoot me a PM and keep me updated on your build or if you have any questions.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 AM
SlowVet05
Racer

Originally Posted by EX1
You positive your clutch isn't slipping under the new power? The NW is only if you are trying to squeeze out every last drop of N/A power. The headers and FAST really let the cam shine. Shoot me a PM and keep me updated on your build or if you have any questions.
Sent you a PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Hello Mr. SlowVet05,

As I stated to you during our conversation, your current set up is not yet fully optimized until you at least implement a LT headers kit (LT headers and X-pipe). In terms of the cats, your stock units will be put aside because new LT headers kits come with the headers and X-pipe (catted or off-road)…depending on which of the two you choose to order.

Overall, your results does seem low considering average gains seen for the past 4 plus years here in Texas and across the entire world using either 91oct, 93oct, race gas or E85.

I can’t speak to the full nature of the tune without first analyzing which parameters were tweaked. If you like, we can conduct a deep dive look into your current tune now, or after you install the larger injectors, LT headers kit and E85.

As far as your stock clutch, be prepare to kiss it goodbye…it will not last too long. The Widow cam has been known to make torque from roughly 2800 rpms to 5800 or so while providing a horsepower band all the way to roughly 7200 rpms. After reading that the cam did not start pulling until 5,000 rpms tells me that something does not seem quite right. Perhaps clutch slip or….

If your vehicle is functioning like it should and all mechanical parameters were done 100% correctly, a re-tune can be perform giving you the opportunity to re-test at the SAME dyno and verify output. At the very least, doing this may eliminate one potential suspicion, or you can just move on and install your next modifications which will require a complete re-tune anyway.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

The exhaust is backing up so bad it took only like 13 degrees of timing, commanding anymore resulted in knock. This is why his numbers are so low, even after its done it's still az summer, az gas, and currently very humid out for us so it's not going to make close to the numbers everyone else in the country does. He doesn't have any clutch slip at all as its pretty evident when that happens on a dyno. Once we do headers on it the car will make a good deal more.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:58 AM
SlowVet05
Racer

The AZ gas thing doesn't make sense to me. Do we get different gas than California? Why do the stock cars make the same numbers they make everywhere else and the bolt on cars do as well. It's only when the cars have bigger internal stuff that the numbers seem to differ from everywhere else.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:55 AM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoeAZHP
The exhaust is backing up so bad it took only like 13 degrees of timing, commanding anymore resulted in knock. This is why his numbers are so low, even after its done it's still az summer, az gas, and currently very humid out for us so it's not going to make close to the numbers everyone else in the country does. He doesn't have any clutch slip at all as its pretty evident when that happens on a dyno. Once we do headers on it the car will make a good deal more.
Could be that the wrong plugs are in the car. He needs TR6s or in the AZ heat maybe TR7s. Your gas can't be any worse than the 90 octane they make us use in West Texas with 100+ degree days. Still plenty of 570+rwhp Zs running around here too.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Z O SICK
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The AZ gas thing doesn't make sense to me. Do we get different gas than California? Why do the stock cars make the same numbers they make everywhere else and the bolt on cars do as well. It's only when the cars have bigger internal stuff that the numbers seem to differ from everywhere else.
What's up bud, it's Tony (AO Z). I think our crappy gas (i.e. low octane) is a little to blame along with no timing. 13 degrees is pretty low. We just so happen to live and have some of the worst things for our cars. Heat, low octane, ect. I'm sure after you throw on some headers you'll be close to where you want to be number wise. I was a little surprised with your numbers too but again, I think it's a few little things that are all adding up. 10hp here, 30hp there, you get the jist. I think you'll pick up at least 30rwhp/30rwtq with headers alone. Keep me updated buddy!

Tony
Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

So I'll start with a little background. I bought an '08Z about two months ago and the warranty was getting close to running out. I wanted to have the heads done and figured I would have the shop install a cam while they're in there. I actually bought Carlos' original Widow cam out of his car and WCCH-X heads from Vette Air as well. I had the heads milled .030 so I could run 91 octane. Along with the heads/cam I had a MF103 installed. No headers or anything. The baseline on the car was 462/443. The baseline was on a different dyno than the one used to tune the car so that kind of goes out the window. The final numbers after the heads/cam/MF103 were 505 rwhp and I'm not sure on the torque. Obviously I was a little disappointed. The tuner and shop both said the manifolds are really holding the car back. Additionally, they suggest a ported throttle body to help the car idle better. I'm going to pick up some 1 7/8 headers, and have the throttle body ported. I also bought some 65lb. injectors from a member here and am going to have the car tuned on E85 this time. I'm wondering if I should have the stock intake ported as well while I'm at it. I've searched a lot and haven't been able to find any results from a stock intake to a ported intake on a larger head/cam setup. I don't want to spend the money on a FAST 102 setup at this time so what do you guys think? Have the stock intake ported or just wait until I can get a FAST 102? Hopefully with the addition of headers/E85/TB I can see 560rwhp+.
Very impressive and good to see people continuing to first off, take steps against dropping an exhaust valve, minimizing that prospect with the WCCH SS valve equipped heads, and then killing two birds with one stone by adding power.

Congratulations on the build. I have you added to "The Registry"
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take Carlos's advice and move forward with it.

Keep us posted, good luck.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:03 AM
jnv255
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your tune, re tune, whatever, then go to the track and tell us your trap speeds.. Dynos are tuning tools, with the added benefit of giving HP numbers.... All they are, are numbers... At least to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Widow cam/WCCH-X results

Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by briancb1
I would take Carlos's advice and move forward with it.

Keep us posted, good luck.
Agreed, here's the gains from headers after a cam only was installed. This is a smaller cam and stock heads, so I imagine your gains will be greater.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...510-new-s.html
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 254 Posts

I've searched a lot and haven't been able to find any results from a stock intake to a ported intake on a larger head/cam setup.
Here are my results of stock vs ported (+13RWHP):
-ported heads/cam/stock LS7 intake w/90mm ported TB: 618/518 RWHP/RWTQ
-same as 618 w/ported LS7 intake w/90mm ported TB: 631/518 RWHP/RWTQ
Old 07-25-2013, 11:02 AM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 245 Posts

I have not posted on this forum for forever but since this thread is directly talking about something that I tuned I'll throw in some facts. First off it's always the tuners fault, now that that's out of the way....

Yes the car dyno'd low, lower than any other cammed Z06 I've seen and I've been doing this since they came out. The amount of timing it took was typical of 100+ degree temperatures here in AZ with ~17 degrees up top, ~23 degrees in the ~3400 rpm range dropping to about 15 at peak torque. A/F was approximately 12.5 the entire way through and all "airflow" numbers according to the MAF AND the VE were correct for the kind of power it was making. As anybody who tunes cars knows making horsepower is the easy part, it's timing and fuel and ultimately what it makes is up to the engine. If it pings, guess what you've got too much timing and you need to back it off. I have lost count of cars that dyno here in AZ and go off to other states and with no other changes make another 20 horsepower here or there.

If the car surges at part throttle, you add/remove timing in those areas to try to smooth it out, reduce/turn off spark smoothing, make sure your idle airflows are correct, reduce closed loop fueling swings, possibly even run O/L in that area and command it rich, etc. All of these things are done regularly on cammed cars and this one was no different. If the cam was a tooth off you can generally tell by looking at the power and torque peaks and seeing if they line up where they should be and this one looked like it peaked in the right places for that size camshaft.

Last edited by NicD; 07-25-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Widow cam/WCCH-X results