Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS7 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
TT32VGT
CF Senior Member

Default Help please!Battery volts went down to 12.2 at idle-service charging system

Alright so I got my car back from the mechanic(did heads and clutch this time around-had cam, exhaust, fast 102 setup)..
The battery died after 4 days of sitting.. So I replaced it with a duralast gold with a good bit more cca.. I noticed today the battery volts are low.. like as low as 12.2 at idlle.. finally service charging system light came on.. the battery volts at idle at 12.2-13 and driving 13.5-14.. Battery is NEW.. Im thinking alternator, what do you guys think? Tomorrow Im getting autozone to test the alternator..

Help please!

I saw this thread, and started to revive it but as you can see it didnt go in that direction..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...driving-2.html
TT32VGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT32VGT View Post
Alright so I got my car back from the mechanic(did heads and clutch this time around-had cam, exhaust, fast 102 setup)..
The battery died after 4 days of sitting.. So I replaced it with a duralast gold with a good bit more cca.. I noticed today the battery volts are low.. like as low as 12.2 at idlle.. finally service charging system light came on.. the battery volts at idle at 12.2-13 and driving 13.5-14.. Battery is NEW.. Im thinking alternator, what do you guys think? Tomorrow Im getting autozone to test the alternator..

Help please!

I saw this thread, and started to revive it but as you can see it didnt go in that direction..

Alternator is taking a crap. battery was probably going bad for a while, and alternator was working way too much overtime and is petering out.
Mr. Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Landru
CF Senior Member

Sounds like alternator's going south.
Landru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
VNAMVET
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Sounds like alternator's going south.
I have 14.2 showing most of the time. I thought (perhaps wrongly!) that showed that the alternator was charging my battery.

Granted, my battery is 3 years old, and when the vehicle sits for more than 3 -4 days, I notice that the battery has a tough time and turns the engine over slowly. It only takes 3-4 seconds, and fires right up.

Additionally, the door touch pads (just replaced last week) barely open the doors after 3-4 days of non-driving.
VNAMVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
2k Cobra
CF Senior Member

Flavio012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT32VGT View Post

Help please!

Have you used a battery tender??

If your new battery was sold to you in a run down condition, this could happen.

If it was my car, I would put a battery tender on it until it shows full charge, then drive the car. If it still reads low voltage, you could take it to Autozone and have them evaluate the charging system.

Lots of luck, 2k
2k Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Landru
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNAMVET View Post
I have 14.2 showing most of the time. I thought (perhaps wrongly!) that showed that the alternator was charging my battery...Granted, my battery is 3 years old, and when the vehicle sits for more than 3 -4 days, I notice that the battery has a tough time and turns the engine over slowly. It only takes 3-4 seconds, and fires right up.
When my Z has to sit longer than 3-4 days it goes on a battery tender, otherwise my experience is like yours. If you don't use a tender, might consider one.

OP's issue sounded to me like the car wasn't recharging, a good sign of a bad alternator.
Landru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Chance575
CF Member

you get new tune, if the idle is low and you have a high demand this could be causing the issue
Chance575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page Help please!Battery volts went down to 12.2 at idle-service charging system