Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Update on my WCCH track/street car!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Update on my WCCH track/street car!

So I just completed another track day (see video below). New heads now have 6 months, 14K miles and 8 track days.

This was at AutoClub Speedway (NASCAR track). Car gets redlined 3 times in 2nd gear, three times in 3rd gear and once in 4th gear (156 mph) each lap.

Car get up to 156mph as fast or faster than before the SS valves and dual springs. And I couldn't discern any valve bounce All the other modified Z06 today also had SS valves and dual springs, including the CMS Z06 (CF sponsor who recommended I put SS valves in just like he did for his own car)

Interesting story: Last time out I met a Porche/BMW guy and we talked a lot about my car. So he went out and bought a 2013 (new). First track day (stock) he blew up the motor. GM replaced it. Within 1500 miles motor blew up again (not on the track). Guessing since dealer did not put it new oil cooler we can figure out why second motor went. So he is now waiting for his 3rd motor to be installed.

JUST FOR THE RECORD, IN RED SESSION THOSE GT TRACK PREPPED P CARS AND THE SKYLINE HAD HOOSIERS. YOU CAN'T EVEN HEAR MY STOCK MOTOR NEAR THOSE LOUD MOTHERS. I WAS ON NT05 STREET TIRES. IF I HAD HOOSIERS THAT VIDEO WOULD BE A LOT DIFFERENT. **session was cut short (see Black flag) because of the suspension left sitting in the track right before end of video !!!!!!!

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 08-11-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:56 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
So I just completed another track day (see video below). New heads now have 6 months, 14K miles and 8 track days.

This was at AutoClub Speedway (NASCAR track). Car gets redlined 3 times in 2nd gear, three times in 3rd gear and once in 4th gear (156 mph) each lap.

Car get up to 156mph as fast or faster than before the SS valves and dual springs. And I couldn't discern any valve bounce All the other modified Z06 today also had SS valves and dual springs, including the CMS Z06 (CF sponsor who recommended I put SS valves in just like he did for his own car)

Interesting story: Last time out I met a Porche/BMW guy and we talked a lot about my car. So he went out and bought a 2013 (new). First track day (stock) he blew up the motor. GM replaced it. Within 1500 miles motor blew up again (not on the track). Guessing since dealer did not put it new oil cooler we can figure out why second motor went. So he is now waiting for his 3rd motor to be installed.

DH
Very impressive Howie. Nice videos. And what you said which stood out to me was; "I couldn't discern any valve bounce "

At any rate, it's actual practical results, such as the ones you're putting up, among other things such as cost, which are the primary impetus for a lot of what we have seen and are seeing.

Tough break(s) for that guy. First track day, and then 1500 miles later, again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly, that makes it somewhere around 4 that you personally know of?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

DH,
Looking forward to watching the vids. I just thought I'd quickly let you know about a typo shortly after the red letters- in the parentheses. I'm pretty sure you meant to say "black flag". Now, back to the vids.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 AM
greatone61
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those were awesome videos, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Very impressive Howie. Nice videos. And what you said which stood out to me was; "I couldn't discern any valve bounce "

At any rate, it's actual practical results, such as the ones you're putting up, among other things such as cost, which are the primary impetus for a lot of what we have seen and are seeing.

Tough break(s) for that guy. First track day, and then 1500 miles later, again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly, that makes it somewhere around 4 that you personally know of?
Well the red Z06 in the 4th video is all stock motor but with a Honker CAI and a tune. He was complaining that he couldn't pull on me and in face I was pulling on him. So not only does my motor not exhibit any power loss from valve bounce it seems to be better than stock.

I wish it was only 4

DH
Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Les
DH,
Looking forward to watching the vids. I just thought I'd quickly let you know about a typo shortly after the red letters- in the parentheses. I'm pretty sure you meant to say "black flag". Now, back to the vids.
Thanks Les. I corrected it before the MODS black flagged my account

DH
Old 08-11-2013, 01:45 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by greatone61
Those were awesome videos, thanks for sharing!
My pleasure. Glad you enjoyed them.

DH
Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Thanks Les. I corrected it before the MODS black flagged my account

DH
Nice driving. Always fun to watch.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:04 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Well the red Z06 in the 4th video is all stock motor but with a Honker CAI and a tune. He was complaining that he couldn't pull on me and in face I was pulling on him. So not only does my motor not exhibit any power loss from valve bounce it seems to be better than stock.

I wish it was only 4

DH
Well, 14K miles and 8 track days is very impressive.

I think I asked you before, but how many track hours?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Well, 14K miles and 8 track days is very impressive.

I think I asked you before, but how many track hours?
14 Hours Ricky

And those two winged track prepped Z06's that passed me both have SS valves an dual springs to go with their cams. They are tracked regualarly and HARD as you could see.

DH
Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howie, great vids...Thanks for posting them up...
Old 08-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!

So... only another 72,000 miles and another few dozen track days until you match the mileage on the original factory heads?

Just teasing you a bit! Obviously you have confidence in the car again and can enjoy it to the max without worrying too much driving it like it should be driven. And that is for all intents, priceless!

Keep posting those videos; very cool!
Old 08-11-2013, 02:48 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

GREAT videos! Thanks for posting.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:32 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Nice work Howie. Great post and videos and a nice read other than every thread becoming a soap box for you and Quick's to reassert your opinion and jabs ad nauseum on the SS debate. Good to see something different for a change. Sort of...

Last edited by propain; 08-11-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:04 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Great videos, Howie. Thank you for sharing and letting us run the ALMS course at Cal Speedway or whatever they call it now, even if our enjoyment was only virtual.

You are gonna have to get some Hoosiers for the next time!

Perry
Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Random84
Nice!

So... only another 72,000 miles and another few dozen track days until you match the mileage on the original factory heads?

Just teasing you a bit! Obviously you have confidence in the car again and can enjoy it to the max without worrying too much driving it like it should be driven. And that is for all intents, priceless!

Keep posting those videos; very cool!
Well since your counting its 73K

I do have 47K and 24 track days track days on my second motor

And you are right. I wind it right out to redline without a worry

DH
Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SSMOKE
GREAT videos! Thanks for posting.
My pleasure. Will post up again next month when we will be back there with our Corvette Challenge if it doesn't bore you guys

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Update on my WCCH track/street car!

Old 08-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by propain
Nice work Howie. Great post and videos and a nice read other than every thread becoming a soap box for you and Quick's to reassert your opinion and jabs ad nauseum on the SS debate. Good to see something different for a change. Sort of...
Thanks, I really appreciate that coming from you.

ACS is a great track for our Z06 cars, you would love it. I will put you up for the night if you ever want to come down

Just hold your nose and skim through the other stuff Thats what I do on all the Katech/Spintron/Sodium Valves, my motor is too unstable and is likely to explode through my hood posts

DH
Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pkincy
Great videos, Howie. Thank you for sharing and letting us run the ALMS course at Cal Speedway or whatever they call it now, even if our enjoyment was only virtual.

You are gonna have to get some Hoosiers for the next time!

Perry
Thanks Perry

I am pretty much at the limit (with my abilities) of the NT05. Those other 2 Vettes you see passing me have cams, tune, intake and Hoosiers. They were only 3 seconds faster than me.

DH
Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Thanks, I really appreciate that coming from you.

ACS is a great track for our Z06 cars, you would love it. I will put you up for the night if you ever want to come down

Just hold your nose and skim through the other stuff Thats what I do on all the Katech/Spintron/Sodium Valves, my motor is too unstable and is likely to explode through my hood posts

DH
What motor oil are you running now Howie, and what kinds of oil temps are you seeing?

Also, I see that your group has 4 events left for 2013.

http://svc.speedventures.com/fly.asp...age&series=317

What, if any kind of maintenance do you have planned in the off season?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Update on my WCCH track/street car!